XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2014 XJL misfires

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 XJL misfires

Got an estimate back from the dealer. My engine is a 3.0 supercharged. When I had a coolant leak it took 8 hours to remove and replace the supercharger. Codes are P-0341 intermittent camshaft sensor range performance and p0016-00. Dealer wants to take off the cover for the timing on the engine to inspect. Quoted 26 hours including supercharger going off. That sounds like a lot of hours just to get to the timing chain and components. Is this reasonable? Looking at about $6,000 in parts and labor and maybe more if components need to be replaced. They did say if it was component failure that might be under the engine warranty or extended warranty. I think once in there the parts aren't that much to replace it is just all the labor to get to them. Still the hours sound really high. I just find it suspicious because I had an engine replaced once for 26 hours of labor. It doesn't seem like it would take as long to break down the front as it would to replace the whole thing. This is the summary they gave me. I don't have a breakdown for the parts or steps.

Pricing Summary

Labor Parts M/L/S Tax Line Total
Estimate 4,097.88 1,549.06 79.95 127.80 5,854.69

Old 08-10-2018, 04:15 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Prior to dissecting the engine, did the dealership check the condition of the battery? It must be fully charged and have a minimum of 12.6 volts across the terminals when the ignition is OFF for at least ten minutes. Even if a new battery has recently been fitted, that doesn't mean it's fully charged.

They should also check the wiring and connectors at the sensor(s) to make sure there is no damage.

You may want to have another shop look at the vehicle for a second opinion.

Last edited by NBCat; 08-10-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
jjweatherby (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 04:22 PM

I will check with them. The estimate said they checked the sensor but I don't know about wiring or battery. Both batteries were replaced about 5 months ago but I did it at Pep Boys. I bought the small battery from the dealer since I couldn't find it anywhere else but had Pep Boys install it. I have heard something about calibrating the battery and I doubt they did that. I am not sure how important that is. I will check with them on Monday. The parts that need to replaced if they take off the timing cover aren't in yet. So I will ask. It is sometimes hard to find out since you deal with the service rep and not the technician who looked at. Unfortunately, this is the third opinion. First shop said timing needed to be checked but they didn't have the tools. Second shop wanted to open. I went to the dealer because the warranty may cover it. Can't tell until they know if it was a component failure. The warranty is another pickle but that is a longer story of breaking down out of town due to an overheat and being towed to an indie. Jag should cover but they might put the blame on the indie.

Last edited by jjweatherby; 08-10-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

If the engine was overheated, what work was done?

Old 08-10-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
If the engine was overheated, what work was done?
There were metal shavings in the oil pan and the head gasket blown so the engine was replaced. That is why the warranty is a pickle. New engine from dealer should have a warranty but Jaguar might back away if they didn't install it. While someone should be liable, I am pretty much resigned to having to pay for this. It is an argument that I am not sure can be proven if it was install or something wrong with the new engine unless there is a bad component. I am hoping Jaguar will honor the part warranty since it was a factory engine bought from the dealer if a component is bad. I don't know how they would have damaged an internal component in install but I am not a mechanic. The service director said something about if they turned a bolt the wrong way when bolting the engine to the transmission the timing chain could come loose. I am skeptical of that but he doesn't work for Jaguar, he works for the dealership so I don't know. Until they get behind the timing cover it doesn't look like they will know why. Unless hopefully they didn't fully check the wiring. I am kind of hoping maybe a wire melted in the overheat and they just haven't seen it yet. Lesson learned anytime it could be something major pay the extra to tow to a dealer even if my insurance won't pay for it because it was a couple of miles too far away. Fortunately, the extended warranty paid for the engine. I am pretty much resigned to having to pay for this one though.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:59 PM

Seriously thinking about trading this car in when it is fixed. I checked with the dealer I bought it from they NOW disclosed to me the fuel pump, cooling reservoir, and water pump were replaced before I bought. Possibly there was a coolant leak (that's what likely caused the overheat) they didn't fix when I bought the car. Oil was leaking for a long time according to the indie and the dealer never seemed to notice it when the previous owner brought it for service or when they did the "196 point" inspection. So I am estimating this will be about $35,000 to $40,000 of work done to a car with under 40,000 miles on it in less than 5 years. I can't see keeping this much longer especially not after the extended warranty is up. Really thinking about a deceptive trade practice claim on these guys for telling me it was inspected properly and selling me the car when it was still in service never printing a required sticker with the legally required buyer's guide. Right now I am only out $3,400 for the engine install and the bad shock mounts I noticed a few days after driving it off the lot but, if this ends up being another $6,000 it might be worth it. Legal action might just good for the lawyers and I would get little out of it now. Another lesson learned don't sign the paper work when they tell you it is still in service and give you a promise they will take care of anything wrong despite the fact you signed an as is contract.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Questions:
1, Is this a CPO warranted XJ
2, How long have you had the XJ
3, And this is an open question to all Houston area members, who is the best dealer service in the area, and is this where the car is now.
4, I called Jaguar assistance when my XJ broken down and had it flatdedded back to my dealer even when it was in a city that had a dealer and no charge for a 235 mile tow.
5, The hours for repair seem high. I'd check other dealers for their time estimates.
6, The fact that an adviser said that a transmission to engine bolt could damage a timing chain at the other end of the engine is just plain scary.

Bottom line I seriously have my doubts as to the competency of the current repair facility.IMHO

Last edited by XJsss; 08-10-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

It is foolish to ever return to the dealership once a car is out of warranty. Dealerships are for warranty work ONLY! Take it elsewhere!

Old 08-11-2018, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by jjweatherby
Seriously thinking about trading this car in when it is fixed. I checked with the dealer I bought it from they NOW disclosed to me the fuel pump, cooling reservoir, and water pump were replaced before I bought. Possibly there was a coolant leak (that's what likely caused the overheat) they didn't fix when I bought the car. Oil was leaking for a long time according to the indie and the dealer never seemed to notice it when the previous owner brought it for service or when they did the "196 point" inspection. So I am estimating this will be about $35,000 to $40,000 of work done to a car with under 40,000 miles on it in less than 5 years. I can't see keeping this much longer especially not after the extended warranty is up. Really thinking about a deceptive trade practice claim on these guys for telling me it was inspected properly and selling me the car when it was still in service never printing a required sticker with the legally required buyer's guide. Right now I am only out $3,400 for the engine install and the bad shock mounts I noticed a few days after driving it off the lot but, if this ends up being another $6,000 it might be worth it. Legal action might just good for the lawyers and I would get little out of it now. Another lesson learned don't sign the paper work when they tell you it is still in service and give you a promise they will take care of anything wrong despite the fact you signed an as is contract.
This is not really a car you want out of warranty. And by warranty I mean the "real" factory warranty not the bullshit CPO warranty. You are looking at putting in around 25% of what the car will garner in the best possible case scenario once it is fixed. Realistically for a '14 you will be lucky to get $20k for it. I have been considering trading mine ever since the factory warranty ran out in June. I am thinking of going away from a sedan and into a Raptor (F150). These cars are great when we get them 2-3 years old with a little bit of warranty left for a fraction of new price but realistically there is a frighteningly small market for a used late model Jag out of warranty. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JagGate
This is not really a car you want out of warranty. And by warranty I mean the "real" factory warranty not the bullshit CPO warranty. You are looking at putting in around 25% of what the car will garner in the best possible case scenario once it is fixed. Realistically for a '14 you will be lucky to get $20k for it. I have been considering trading mine ever since the factory warranty ran out in June. I am thinking of going away from a sedan and into a Raptor (F150). These cars are great when we get them 2-3 years old with a little bit of warranty left for a fraction of new price but realistically there is a frighteningly small market for a used late model Jag out of warranty. Good luck!
Yep can second that. I am getting some estimates of high $20's to 30k for it. I probably will take the hit. The extended warranty has been good to me and I hope Jaguar honors the warranty on the new engine if there is a component failure. Still I have had the car 3 days in the last 2 months, while repairs are ongoing. That is insane to even being paying insurance on something you can't drive. The history of repairs is too big and I am hearing from a friend who owns a dealership, the Houston market is hot right now for used cars. So when it is fixed it likely goes to Texas Auto Direct or Carmax. Clean carfax on it with no wrecks so I should get the most for it there. They really made a big deal out of my CLK being in 2 minor wrecks despite being repaired by certified Mercedes body shops (independent but certified techs). I won't have that problem this time.

I haven't really thought about what to get but may go American. I am really tired of the high maintenance, I will leave that to the woman in my life. I think a less expensive maintenance car would be better. Thinking about a SUV or something like that for the first time ever. It is nice to be able to put a new TV in the back. My XJL's backseats won't even fold down. Have to really do some research though. I like the look of the navigator but don't know if Lincoln is a money pit. A friend has a 10 year Yukon that has been very reliable for him.

Last edited by jjweatherby; 08-13-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:32 PM

Yep can second that. I am getting some estimates of high $20's to 30k for it. I probably will take the hit. The extended warranty has been good to me and I hope Jaguar honors the warranty on the new engine if there is a component failure. Still I have had the car 3 days in the last 2 months, while repairs are ongoing. That is insane to even being paying insurance on something you can't drive. The history of repairs is too big and I am hearing from a friend who owns a dealership, the Houston market is hot right now for used cars. So when it is fixed it likely goes to Texas Auto Direct or Carmax. Clean carfax on it with no wrecks so I should get the most for it there. They really made a big deal out of my CLK being in 2 minor wrecks despite being repaired by certified Mercedes body shops (independent but certified techs). I won't have that problem this time.

I haven't really thought about what to get but may go American. I am really tired of the high maintenance, I will leave that to the woman in my life. I think a less expensive maintenance car would be better. Thinking about a SUV or something like that for the first time ever. It is nice to be able to put a new TV in the back. My XJL's backseats won't even fold down. Have to really do some research though. I like the look of the navigator but don't know if Lincoln is a money pit. A friend has a 10 year Yukon that has been very reliable for him.
Good call I think. I had an Expedition and also a Durango (currently the wife has a Cherokee (2018)) and I would advise to only go with a full-sized SUV like the Expedition. IMO it is one of the best vehicles on the road. I love the Jag but realistically they do not last. And too complex really to fix yourself. Basically I have a $30k timebomb waiting to go off. When I got the Jag I kept my '06 Daytona Charger which I bought new in '05. Never had a single issue at all with the Charger. (75k miles).

I don't blame them for taking something off for the accident history. Like maybe 10-20%. That it has been in an accident does reduce the resale value. This is why you need to go after diminished value when making an insurance claim for any damage that requires a dealer visit.

Buying new has its advantages in that you get a full b2b warranty for 3-5 years. If I get the Raptor it will be new.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I like the look of the navigator but don't know if Lincoln is a money pit. A friend has a 10 year Yukon that has been very reliable for him.
I can say with absolute certainty that the most reliable and trouble-free vehicles I've ever owned have been Lincolns; and I've owned fifteen of them over the years. Two of those (a 2001 and a 2016) were Navigators and, as SUV's go, you'd be hard pressed to do any better. Basically, I am not an SUV person... much prefer a pickup. Traded the 2016 Navigator earlier this year for a loaded up, top-of-the-line Ford F-150 and love it. It is actually far better equipped than my Navigator was and just as comfortable. My understanding is that the new Navigators are amazing but I was hell-bent on a truck so didn't even glance at one.

Dwayne

Old 08-17-2018, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by dga57
I can say with absolute certainty that the most reliable and trouble-free vehicles I've ever owned have been Lincolns; and I've owned fifteen of them over the years. Two of those (a 2001 and a 2016) were Navigators and, as SUV's go, you'd be hard pressed to do any better. Basically, I am not an SUV person... much prefer a pickup. Traded the 2016 Navigator earlier this year for a loaded up, top-of-the-line Ford F-150 and love it. It is actually far better equipped than my Navigator was and just as comfortable. My understanding is that the new Navigators are amazing but I was hell-bent on a truck so didn't even glance at one.

Dwayne
What model F150 the Platinum? I am looking to trade the XJ for a Raptor.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by JagGate
What model F150 the Platinum? I am looking to trade the XJ for a Raptor.
You guessed it! I was originally thinking of a King Ranch but, somehow or another, I don't think the new ones look as good as the ones from a few years back. Then too, I had a 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn Edition before I bought the Navigator so maybe I got the western/cowboy theme out of my system. lol

The Raptor is a really sharp truck but I think a sixty-something-year-old man would look silly driving one! I'm silly enough looking as it is.

Whatever you decide, I hope you'll be happy. You may remember that due to major problems with my XJL, I traded it on a Cadillac XTS. I do miss its sleek beauty but the red passion tintcoat and Kona brown interior of my Cadillac is no slouch either. I get just about as many compliments on it at gas stations, etc. as I did on my Jaguar. Keeping it spotless and shiny, and having a good color combination, does wonders for that! My F-150 is silver with black leather interior and gets its fair share of compliments too, for the same reasons.

Dwayne