XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Disable Automatic Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:16 AM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Disable Automatic Folding Mirrors

Gentlemen,
I want to stop the mirrors from folding automatically when I lock my 2014 XJ 3.0 Liter. I only want the manual control. Anyone know how to disable this automatic function?

Old 02-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Dealer may be able to do it - likely free to ask them.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

My understanding is that you cant do it on your own. The dealer has to do it. I was considering next time I need service or maintenance to ask them to do it. I cant imagine they will charge much, if anything.

If you have the Jag software (i forget the name), you can connect to the OBD port and do it yourself.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

On my XJ if I hold both mirror select buttons to adjust on the drivers door simultaneously that will either turn on or off the folding mirror feature

The following users liked this post:
Polyesterpig (08-03-2020)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
On my XJ if I hold both mirror select buttons to adjust on the drivers door simultaneously that will either turn on or off the folding mirror feature
This will make the mirrors fold in (or back out) on my 2012. Maybe they changed that in the later models, not sure. I am almost positive my owners manual said you have to change that setting at the dealer.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:46 PM

Thanks guys. As I thought. I'll pay a visit to the dealer.
Hank, I'd be interested in knowing about the software package you mentioned. I'd love to manipulate my own preferences on that Jag.
My mirror select buttons fold the mirrors either in or out as do yours when I hold them down together.

You may interested in why I want to disable the automatic feature. Every time I lock the car, folding the mirrors when its not required is just wear and tear for no reason in my opinion. This is relevant to me since I have had to have a "wire overlay" done in that mirror for a broken wire. Seems like a lot of unnecessary twisting going on. The affected wire just happened to be the outside air temp sensor and it affects other things as well.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:09 PM

I think the software is called Topix, but that just might be the website to access it. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge in that area can help out with that.

I felt the same way though, that the mirrors folding in was just unnecessary use of motors and such that really added know value to my situation, since i dont street park and generally park away from everyone. Now I kind of like it because at a glance, i can see if my car is locked or not, but I still may have the dealer disable them the next time I am there. Plus sometimes they make this odd plastic-rubbing-against-plastic noise and it is kinda loud.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

IDS/SDD, if it has the option (I expect it has).

Freddy J (02-22-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 12:01 AM

I went to the dealer today. Dealers can change the software setting for the folding mirrors. However, the mirrors features can be either all on or all off. When on, all the features work including all controls and automatic folding when locking. When off, every thing is off. You cannot eliminate just the automatic folding on locking and only have the mirror select buttons control the mirrors. That's the choices for a 2014 XJ.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:21 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Seems odd that they even have the option to disable them if you lose total mirror control. Your reasons for wanting it though I think are invalid. I have not heard of any issue with anyone with those motors having any problems. I'm not saying that it hasn't or won't happen, but I think it very rare.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone know more? Sounds suspiciously like a dealer who might not know how to do it any other way.

Someone with SDD?

Old 02-27-2018, 01:03 PM

I felt the same and was disappointed when I tested after the software change and found I had no control. Then I went back and had the tech turn it back on. For what it's worth, I have little confidence in the tech who consistently works with my car. I seem to suffer more damage than gets fixed every time I visit the dealer. So, did he get the software settings right? Who knows. Land Rover software is alterable like I want it, though.
The service manager confirms what you say about the motor repairs being very infrequent.
My concern was in having wires twisting back and forth for no reason and causing failure since my tech put a jumper wire on the one that goes to the ambient air temp sensor located in the driver side mirror. This was after he replaced the sensor once before. In retrospect, the wires in the stationary part of the mirror don't get twisted, though.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:35 PM

Thanks, JagV8, You may be right. I don't have much confidence in that outfit.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry too much about them folding in & out often as it must be roughly the same as the folding door mirrors on my 2004 STR - which I have to fold and unfold all the time (narrow garage doorway not to mention any time I park as UK has tiny parking spaces).

Old 02-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default When you're old

Interesting conversation. I like mine to fold upon locking, considering the fact that I can't even remember locking the car as I'm walking away from it. *Well, not exactly, but close!) But upon looking back, when I see the mirrors folded, then I know. Yes, I know that if the locking button is pressed twice, the dinky little horn does it "Beep", but since I don't like to announce anything, the mirror position is my reassurance.

I know, I'm old.
King Fala

Old 02-27-2018, 11:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

FreedyJ, did you go to the dealership in Annapolis, Tyson's Corner, the one out near Dulles? I have visited all 3 in my adventures for buying a car and for the level of car that they are selling, I was not impressed. I am sure there are a few in there that are worth their weight, but finding them is going to be the challenge.

Now, doing some looking at the diagrams, I am not sure if this option is what you may have in mind. But, what I have found is that if you were to install a manual switch in the wire coming off of Pin #4 from the mirror plug (or pin 17 from the door module), this would allow you to select when the mirror folds and when it does not. What this would mean is that if you want the mirrors to fold, you would have to flip the switch (that you have hidden some where) and then push the buttons on the driver's door to make them fold. Then, once the mirrors are returned to their out position, you would need to flip the switch back off to prevent them from folding when the car is locked.

The other "negative" to this is you need to use a single throw/double pole (STDP) switch because you will need to cut the wire at say the passenger door module and then extend the wires all the way over to where you have hidden the switch since you have 2 separate wires (1 for each mirror) that will control the folding action.

If you want more information, let me know and I will do what I can to assist.

JagV8 (02-28-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 02:30 PM

Thanks Thermo,
I go to the Jag Dealer in Annapolis for warranty service. I concur with your opinion. I appreciate the advice regarding hooking up a STDP switch and pin locations. I don't think I want to go through the hassle, though. I'll live with it. However, in as much as you have the schematics, do you have any suggestions about cleverly disabling the Eco Stop Start function so that I don't have to put up with pushing the off button every time I fresh start the car. I know I can disable it by disconnecting the negative cable to the small battery but that also produces a fault code. Any knowledge with regard to tricking the system like using any of the Stop Start inhibitors like the trailer light circuit to fool the system into thinking you have a trailer and inhibit the function? Or using the brake boost sensor circuit which also inhibits the function?

Old 03-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Freddy J, unfortunately, that is something that has not had a good answer on how to disable. The tricks that I know of is to either disconnect the small battery to trick the system into thinking the battery is bad and therefore make the system not go into eco-mode or to simply come to a stop and then ease off the brake such that you are barely able to hold the car in place. By keeping this light pressure on the brake, it is normally not enough to make the car think that you are stopped, therefore the eco-mode does not kick in.

On a side note, if you ever want to learn stuff about your car, come on down to me (I'm in California, MD) and we can do whatever you need done to your car (within reason). Driving up to Annapolis is not really realistic for me because of the distance. So, I do a lot of my own work.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Gonna ask a stupid question, but have you guys looked in the vehicle settings menu on the touchscreen?

The earlier cars have an option in there to turn the folding when locking on or off.

Disable Automatic Folding Mirrors-img_7921.jpg

Disable Automatic Folding Mirrors-img_7920.jpg

Old 03-03-2018, 03:48 PM

Cambo, The vehicle settings are no longer on the touch screen and are on the screen by the speedo. However, there is no menu or screen like you show.

Thermo, thanks for the invite. Might take you up on it one day. It's a nice drive to California. Used to come down to PAX frequently.

Quick Reply: Disable Automatic Folding Mirrors