XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Heater fan blowing cold air on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Heater fan blowing cold air on passenger side

When I turn my heater on (with or without aircon/climate control) all fans seem to blow hot air on the driver side including the rear seats.

But all the passenger side seats including the rear seats side blow cold air.

I have checked that the Sync button is switched on and selected both buttons on the lcd screen (face and feet fans on) to make sure all sides are enabled but the passenger side only blows cold air.

Is this a known issue?

Old 03-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Havent come across this issue in the X351 before. Some of the other models, it would be different issues depending on the model, anything from a heater valve stuck closed on one side, the control module itself, or the heater core. The X351 I havent seen with this issue. Do you have anyone who can check the vehicle for codes? You could try disconnecting the battery and see if rebooting any of the modules or potentiometers within the climate control system reset. Disconnect it for at least 10 minutes, then reconnect, see if anything changes. Otherwise it might mean a trip to someone who has SDD.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:33 AM

Thanks I'll have to get it taken in to get it checked, wondering if my warranty will cover something like this.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:56 PM

Not sure what the warranty is like where you are, seems to vary between countries, however if yours is still good, then you should be covered. Sometimes with these newer cars, a simply battery disconnect and reconnect, or as we say in the Jaguar world, a " hard reset ", can fix all sorts of issues. It's just like when your computer is acting funny, and you restart it and works properly, same thing here. Usually one of,the first things I try after checking for codes. Most cases it works.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Not sure what the warranty is like where you are, seems to vary between countries, however if yours is still good, then you should be covered. Sometimes with these newer cars, a simply battery disconnect and reconnect, or as we say in the Jaguar world, a " hard reset ", can fix all sorts of issues. It's just like when your computer is acting funny, and you restart it and works properly, same thing here. Usually one of,the first things I try after checking for codes. Most cases it works.
How does one check for codes?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:47 PM

You'll need someone with SDD to work with Jaguar in order to see those codes. If your vehicle is still within the Warranty period, then I would just take it to the dealer and have them check it. Otherwise, you'll need to find someone at an independent who has SDD ( this is the software that Jaguar/Land Rover use ) in order to check all systems on the vehicle for codes.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:52 AM

thanks i have booked it in, they had a look at it and said they have never seen anything like it before. now they want it for another couple of days so will post updates on here

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (03-22-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 01:03 PM

Turned out that the entire control module needed replacing! I went to the official dealer and they said they had never seen the symptoms like this before on an XJ, however I'm sure the control module has gone on other XJ's in the past. Would have cost £2500 to replace, luckily I had warranty!

Its a 2010 XJ, so I'm guessing as its one of the oldest ones you can get of the x351 range, these models will start to show the problems future Jag owners might have down the years. Saying that in terms of reliability its been a charm most of the time.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:17 PM

The XJ 351 actually has been pretty good from the start. Every now and then you will get a problem like this that will be a " one off ". The climate control system that is in the 351 will be different than the 350, and definitely the 308. Glad you were able to get it sorted, and yes luckily you had warranty.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:31 PM

Sorry I didn't finish, had to get back to work. Usually these days you can get away with checking software on these cars, and it could just be something as simple as a software update. The thing with Jaguars, specially current models, are very sensitive to voltage drop. There are a lot more control modules on these cars than 10 years ago, so even the slightest drop in voltage, or the slightest hint that your battery is starting to fail, you could end up with symptoms such as the one you had, but as I stated before, there will be those " one off " symptoms that can pop up. Just for future reference, when your warranty runs out and you start getting some abnormal electrical faults, check the battery, and a lot of times you can disconnect it for about 15 minutes or so, this is what Jaguar calls a hard reset, reconnect the battery, and problem solved.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cold air on passenger side

I had this problem on my 2011 X351. Drivers side of car working fine (and rear offside passenger) but no warm air at all on the front or rear nearside of the car.

After finding this thread I did a Hard Reset by disconnecting the Battery Positive terminal for 15 Mins (don't close the boot while you are doing this!) Reconnected the battery and Hey Presto everything worked great. All four Climate zones all work as they should. Toasty!!!

Three Garages had looked at this and each diagnosed a different problem! two wanted to change stepper motors and one to change the Climate Control Module at the cost of a reasonable second hand car!!!

Chuffed.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem on a x351 2011 only sometimes passenger side works? so I am reluctant to give to a garage that might replace everything.