XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

J D Power's

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:51 PM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default J D Power's

The new J D Power's rating has Jaguar as number one in customer service in the luxurury car category but the quality rating is poor.
Right now I have no complaints with customer service or quality.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I have absolutely no complaints with customer service or with my dealer. My car is still under factory warranty until August and in late April, after a trip, I noticed a loss of coolant. I topped it off with a little distilled water and continued driving it, just to see what happened. On a couple of occasions, it would sort of stumble after a cold start, causing the Restricted Performance light and the Check Engine light to come on. Turning the engine off and restarting it would clear RP light and the CE light would go out after driving a few miles. I monitored the coolant level regularly and, assuming it was probably due to the water pump, called the dealership to schedule an appointment when I could verify a noticeable loss. I live about 100 miles from my dealership and my wife can no longer drive, so scheduling any repair that might take longer than a day has the potential to be a problem. The Service Manager suggested calling Jaguar Roadside Assistance to deliver the car to them and said they would do the same to return it to me when work was completed. As it turned out, it was the head gasket leaking which was running down over one of the coil packs and causing the intermittent misfire! Major repair! The car ended up being in the shop for a total of 26 days, during which they made the necessary engine repairs plus fixed a few annoying little things like an overhead map light that sometimes turned itself on (new circuit board), and a sticky console button. I was contacted at least once a week for updates and I received the car back in top notch condition, along with a complimentary multi-point inspection report and a 2-month trial Sirius subscription. Cost to me was $0. Certainly can't complain about that level of customer service! As to quality, I don't know why the head gasket failed; seems like a one-in-a-million sort of thing to happen with a low mileage car, but I purchased it used so I don't know how it was driven prior to my ownership. That could be a factor. The map light thing doesn't strike me as a big problem on a five-year-old car... my Ram pickup had a similar warranty repair within the first year. The sticky console button seems to be a known problem with these cars, but the dealership told me most can be attributed to somebody spilling a drink of some kind; it's just a matter of disassembly and cleaning. I do not eat or drink in any of my vehicles EVER, nor do any of my family members so, if that's true, there should be no further problems with that. The car is essentially in perfect condition inside and out and most people mistake it for being brand new. So far as I'm concerned, it has been a joy to own. I might also add that my next Jaguar, whenever that may be, will come from the same dealership due to the excellent service I've received with this one and the one that preceded it.

Dwayne

Old 06-24-2016, 04:03 AM
MHT

In 2015 J D Power showed Jaguar #3 in quality. The 2016 survey has Jaguar at #17, which absolutely makes no sense.
There is a TSB on the sticky controls, JTB00447, it requires the replacement of the selector knob, all seat control switches, AC controls and some of the window switch panels.

The following users liked this post:
LiquidIce (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by MHT
In 2015 J D Power showed Jaguar #3 in quality. The 2016 survey has Jaguar at #17, which absolutely makes no sense.
There is a TSB on the sticky controls, JTB00447, it requires the replacement of the selector knob, all seat control switches, AC controls and some of the window switch panels.
The only sticky button I had was the one that opens the console storage compartment. Everything else works as it should.

Dwayne

Old 06-24-2016, 05:37 AM
MHT

Originally Posted by dga57
The only sticky button I had was the one that opens the console storage compartment. Everything else works as it should.

Dwayne
The TSB is for sticky to the touch. I guess the heat from the sun was causing problems with the coating on some of the controls.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MHT

Thanks for this info, mate.

Does anyone know if the Jaguar Extended Warranty (which I purchased at the dealer) would cover the repairs issued by TSBs, or is it on a case-by-case basis dependent on the Warranty Company?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:45 PM
MHT

Originally Posted by LiquidIce

Does anyone know if the Jaguar Extended Warranty (which I purchased at the dealer) would cover the repairs issued by TSBs, or is it on a case-by-case basis dependent on the Warranty Company?
If the TSB applies to your car, I would imagine that it would be covered. Normally service will run your Vin to see if the TSB applies.

LiquidIce (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 09:41 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Cheers, thanks mate!

Old 06-29-2016, 09:05 AM
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

If Jaguar improved their cooling systems - their 2016 quality ratings would be much better. How many water pumps & crossover pipes have they replaced? The dealer has replaced on my XJ a faulty thermostat, a water pump, a crossover pipe, a coolant reservoir, a leaky throttle body hose. Luckily my car didn't overheat or major engine repairs would be in order. Porsche had a problem with a plastic crossover pipe on their SUV, so they redesigned it with an aluminum one! Problem solved. Jaguar NEEDs to redesign the crossover pipe In aluminum for the 5.0 n/a engine. How many Jaguar XJ & XF owners have been stranded on this one part alone? When I had the water pump replaced I asked the dealer to replace the crossover pipe too (I would have paid for the part). They said it was fine and didn't need replacing. 2000 miles later the crossover pipe split wide open and had coolant everywhere - back to the dealer! Don't get me wrong, my dealer is great, but that crappy pipe has caused Jaguars quality ratings to drop.

Last edited by Polyesterpig; 06-29-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Console buttons feel sticky!

Originally Posted by MHT
The TSB is for sticky to the touch. I guess the heat from the sun was causing problems with the coating on some of the controls.
I live in Singapore but my car is mostly parked in the shade except at night. Nonetheless ALL the "soft touch" coating on all console buttons became sticky. The dealer made no mention of it a TSB or anything. I resolved the problem by using a heavy duty wet-wipe and rubbing the coatings off. Fortunately the writing on the buttons is unaffected and although the soft feel of the buttons is gone, the console looks like new again.

dga57 (07-02-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidIce

Without reading your contract, my guess is that the Administrator of that extended service contract won't cover it because it's a cosmetic repair (in their opinion) and, therefore, is specifically excluded under the terms of your contract. If I'm right, I'd press your dealer to cover it as a courtesy TSB. After all, they made a huge profit when they sold that extended service contract to you, and should want to keep your business.

LiquidIce (07-11-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 05:11 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Poor?
In every report I have read has been Outstanding.
However- these reports are on 2011 XJ ( Super Sports)
What year is the report for?
Report for what Model ?

Old 07-10-2016, 05:53 AM
MHT

Originally Posted by Pa.Bill
Poor?
In every report I have read has been Outstanding.
However- these reports are on 2011 XJ ( Super Sports)
What year is the report for?
Report for what Model ?
This report just came out and it is for the Jaguar Brand, it does not reflect upon any specific model.