XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

quick Smartkey questions

Old 02-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default quick Smartkey questions

Hello all,

Have a 2012 XJL Supersport that we just got a couple days ago. Had a typical newbie question that maybe one of you can shed some light here...

If the smartkey runs out of battery, how do you start the car? I don't see a slot for the key blade anywhere inside the vehicle. Am i missing something?

Also, when you leave the vehicle, you are supposed to be able to press the button on the door handle and it will lock the car for you while you maintaint your smartkey in your bag, pants, purse, etc. Instead, when you press the button on my door handle, i just hear the car beep twice and the door remains unlocked. How do you get to lock the car with the button on the door handle?

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Enjoy the new car!

Scroll down to the bottom of this chain for details of how to use the fob to start the car when key fob battery is dead
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ry-dead-87084/

On your other question you are correct that you should press the button to lock the doors. Double beep is an error, either the key fob is out of range / low battery (which sounds like not the case for you) - it has to be on your person within a couple of feet of the car. More likely one of the doors is failing to lock. Sometimes the hood sensor switch thinks the hood is still open (but that would give you an intermittent error when driving too). More common it's one of the door lock actuators that run the central locking. They wear out and need replacement. Have someone pull the error codes on the car and it will tell you which one

Old 02-11-2019, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

If the trunk or a door isn't fully closed, or you leave a Smartkey fob in the car, and you attempt to lock the car using either the lock button on a door handle or the Smartkey fob, the car won't lock and will beep twice to indicate an error.

You'll never have to worry about a dead Smartkey battery if you keep a spare CR2032 battery in your glove box. Don't buy it online because tbere are too many Chinese fakes that won't work when you need it. Buy it locally - a brand name from a reputable retailer - so you can verify the expiration date on the package. Changing the battery is easy, and no programming is needed.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:20 PM

Thanks so much. Appreciate all the info and quick replies.

My son inadvertently had taken the key inside the home when I did the test of locking the car with door handle button, so I will try again tomorrow and if perhaps that was the problem. If I still get the 2 beeps while the fob is in my possession, then I will know it is an error like BritCars was explaining.

Also, thanks for the info on starting the car with a dead fob. Was really helpful. I was reading on some other thread that other Jag owners insert the fob or key blade into a slot by the left drivers side leg area. I'm guessing that must be for another model and not the XJ because I didn't see a slot in the XJ.

Thanks again.
drj1001

Old 02-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

As well as keeping a spare good quality battery in the glove box you will actually get a warning come up on the screen some time before the fob battery dies, this gives you the warning to change the battery before it goes flat.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:31 PM

Thanks again everyone. Indeed, the problem was as BritCars suggested... the key fob wasn't in range so it wouldn't work. Today i tried with the key fob in my possession and locking the door with the door handle button worked just fine. Thanks!