XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Radar Detector Installation in a 2015 XJ-L?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Detector Installation in a 2015 XJ-L?

Good morning... I need some assistance finding an easily accessible and correct hot wire and ground to hook up my Valentine 1 radar detector in my XJ-L. The fuse boxes in the center rear seat and trunk are inaccessible to run wires to the front of the car and I don't want to tap into a diagnostic wire or a hot lead to an airbag! Any suggestions on how to identify the proper wiring, and get to it, for a passenger-side install?

Old 02-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just pull the overhead lights down and meter a suitable supply on the plug and splice into it. No need to run wires all round the car then

The following users liked this post:
DrErnie (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

I did that on a car back in the early '90's. The wire was for the reading light and was hot all the time. I occasionally forgot to turn it off at the end of the drive. It didn't really matter since it was my daily driver. It could drain the battery as little as I drive now, especially with the Jaguar.

DrErnie (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Mine is connected in the upper console and was done by my dealer when I took delivery on my 2013. Not sure of the wiring now as back then the lighting was incandescent and is now LED so loads may be different. The pictures are where the detector and indeed it is there now plus Blackvue Dashcam.

Attached Thumbnails Radar Detector Installation in a 2015 XJ-L?-img_0554.jpg   Radar Detector Installation in a 2015 XJ-L?-img_0111.jpg   Radar Detector Installation in a 2015 XJ-L?-img_0130.jpg  

Last edited by XJsss; 02-21-2018 at 01:53 PM.
DrErnie (02-22-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:05 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Not as elegant as what you have done or wish to have done, I placed my detector at the lower left corner of the windshield, on a non-skid rubber pad. It never moves. I snaked the power wire between the A-pillar and the dash, down the left side of the dash, then under the dash past the steering column to the center console, then shoved it under the paneling that covers the hump to exit behind the back of the console and plugged into the power outlet. Admittedly, not great. But, I can leave the detector on at all times. It powers off after I shut down the ignition.

DrErnie (03-11-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

DrErnie, if you are looking to mount it up high (by the visor), you can access a wire in either the overhead console or the vanity mirror. In both cases, the wire that you are after is a brown wire with a green stripe on it. This will have power any time the car is turned on (ie, turns off when the car is off)

If you are after something down low, then I would recommend accessing the glove box light and going after the brown wire with a green wire (same power source as the vanity mirrors). So, again, it will turn off when the car turns off.

As for the ground for the radar detector, you can find a screw in the area and slide the ground wire under the screw and tighten it back down. If you want something a bit more professional looking, then you can put a fork or ring lug on the wire so when you loosen the screw, the lug will look like it was there from the factory.

If you need more info, let me know. I do wiring for a living and can walk you through just about anything that you would have in mind.

DrErnie (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo,

Thank you very much… I was able to get down the panel easily, once I realized it would pop out without breaking into many pieces! Identified the large bundle of wires but my question is how can you be sure that the coloring on the wires is the same across the models and across years? I would guess that the only downside in choosing any of the wires in that bundle would be that the radar detector might stay hot all the time if I happen to choose a wire that goes to one of the lights. I would prefer to find the wire that goes to the sunroofs so then I know that it is off when the car is turned off. Any other suggestions you can add re greatly appreciated. Again, thank you for taking the time to help me out... I’m almost there, Once I commit to one of the wires. I hope you are having a great weekend!

Old 03-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just connect a multi meter to a wire the put it on the dash so you can see, lock the car an wait about 5 mins and see if it goes to zero volts. Just try them till you find the correct wire

Old 03-15-2018, 09:56 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DrErnie
Thermo,

Thank you very much… I was able to get down the panel easily, once I realized it would pop out without breaking into many pieces! Identified the large bundle of wires but my question is how can you be sure that the coloring on the wires is the same across the models and across years? I would guess that the only downside in choosing any of the wires in that bundle would be that the radar detector might stay hot all the time if I happen to choose a wire that goes to one of the lights. I would prefer to find the wire that goes to the sunroofs so then I know that it is off when the car is turned off. Any other suggestions you can add re greatly appreciated. Again, thank you for taking the time to help me out... I’m almost there, Once I commit to one of the wires. I hope you are having a great weekend!
This isn't rocket science. Get a multimeter and figure it out. Use a tap style connector so you don't need to cut anything. I just did this with a camera and it took all of 5 minutes to find an ignition switched source.