XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

TSBs to reference for noises in the sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TSBs to reference for noises in the sunroof

Since I took delivery of my car (a few weeks ago) I have a "ticking" sound coming from the sunroof (at least, that's what it sounds like). It's louder with the sun shade open (I can't tell if it goes away when the sun roof is opened, it's too noisy in the car). This is a very moderate noise (not at all like the "What was that??" that other people have reported on sunroof issues), it sounds like a loose piece of metal "ticking" against glass.

Anyway, I'm going to have the dealer look it over, but it would be really helpful to have all the TSBs for them to do for the "sunroof fix". Is there a consolidated list of TSBs that I can reference and ask them to do on my car?

Also, anyone else have this "sunroof ticking" sound, or is this the "roof popping" issue that others are talking about? The sound is very slight (but enough to annoy me, I'm quite **** about things like that); it's certainly not a "shocking" sound or anything like that. Worse with the sunshade open, and it's typically the worst when driving 40MPH+ and hitting small intermittent bumps (not huge bumps, stuff like expansion joints and small potholes in the road surface).

Old 08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, anyone else have this "sunroof ticking" sound, or is this the "roof popping" issue that others are talking about?
No, this doesn't sound like the "roof popping" issue (can be quite loud, and seems to come from the rear sun roof area). The noise you describe is similar to what I've experienced, ironically after the "roof popping" thing was fixed. Not quite a rattle, but rather a ticking sound as you've described. In my case, intermittent and more noticeable with the sun shade open.

Turned out to be a loose "sight shield" (plastic shield covering the mechanicals on the glass part). The right side shield was coming off; dealer replaced the left as well (come in pairs). That seemed to do the trick, no more ticking noise.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Mike, you may want the dealer to check for the knocking at the same time. Mine didn't knock until about the 5,000 mile mark. As long as I go over inclines gingerly it's not noticeable but then again I don't want to drive the car like a grandpa!

On a more positive note... I was waiting to pull out onto the highway today and a black XJL drove by in front of me and I was about 50 ft. from it and my mouth flew open again until I realized I was driving the same thing. Self induced whiplash.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks very much Diablo, sounds like what I've got going on, I'll ask the dealer to look into the sight shield.

As for the knocking, is there any TSB I should ask them to do on the car? I'm not sure I can tell them "I think my sunroof is going to pop" and have them actually do anything without a TSB to reference.

All in all, the initial quality has been pretty good (3 weeks, 1000 miles). Just a few minor issues. And I'm very sensitive to rattling noises, I'd guess that most people wouldn't hear/worry about what's bothering me.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As for the knocking, is there any TSB I should ask them to do on the car? I'm not sure I can tell them "I think my sunroof is going to pop" and have them actually do anything without a TSB to reference.
Knock on wood, your car may not develop the dreaded "roof popping" issue, or may already have been partially addressed if your dealer has applied the K064NAS4-K064 bulletin (activates all enhanced features; fixes panoramic roof issues; roller-blind issues).

SSM45412 is the specific bulletin that addresses panoramic roof noise concerns (I'm sure your dealer is well aware of this one). If your car should start "popping", pray your dealership has competent, well-informed, and inventive service personnel as typically, they'll need to go well beyond the "fixit" instructions of the bulletin and address the particular noise issues of your car.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

when will we get a fix this is crazy .