XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Video in Motion...an Easy DIY upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default Video in Motion...an Easy DIY upgrade

Well, after my first 'video in motion' unit got lost in the hands of the USPS, I finally received a replacement from the original seller in Portugal. I purchased the interface from ebay from an outfit named CarAudio-Systems...only $205. I might as well plug his ebay ad as well, since I was successful in the installation.

Interface TV Free Video in Motion Jaguar XF X250 XJ X351 | eBay

Here is all there is to it. I've attached the PDF manual as well, in case you're into that reading thing.

1. As you can see in the pic above, the little module comes with a wiring harness witch basically fits 'in-line' between an existing connector on the back of the video monitor. The green wire and white wires are not needed...just tie them up neatly.

2. The DIP switches you'll need are described in the manual, but here's the skinny. All are down (off) with the exception of switches 1 and 6.

3. The black surround panel is just snapped into position, so I carefully used a little hook tool to pull up on the bottom corners, and slowly worked my way up. This is definitely a step you don't want to rush and risk scratching the leather dash or crack the surround piece. It's snug, but it'll pull loose.

4. (Not shown) In order to access the screen, you need to remove the two (2) torx screws holding the A/C - Radio controls to the console. There is also a single connector at its rear that you'll need to disconnect in order to get full clearance to maneuver the display out.

5. Four torx screws hold the screen in place. Just remove those and out slides the display.

6. This is the connector on the very left, lower corner of the display. It comes out, gets plugged into the new interface connector, and the other part of that new harness goes back into the display.

7. I used some 3M double-sided tape to secure it to the rear of the display...plenty of room there, also. Put your parts back together (or test it first), and you're ready to watch Star Trek or Spartacus while parked, or cruising on the highway.

FYI, I tested the backup camera after my install, and it also worked just as it did before.

If you have any questions, just let me know!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Video in Motion.pdf (663.3 KB, 673 views)

Last edited by H20boy; 07-03-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Forgot a step!
The following 5 users liked this post by H20boy:
JgaXkr (07-03-2015), jschimmels (09-21-2017), lcmjaguar (02-05-2018), Polyesterpig (07-03-2015), reyesfam (09-13-2017)
Old 07-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Great write up! Nicely done!

Old 07-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

I seem to be able to do DVD video while in motion....

Old 07-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Matt-
A great write-up, and even greater pictures to illustrate it, plus all the attachments one could ask for; your post could serve as as ideal example of how to do one regarding purchase and installation of an aftermarket product. Well done!

At a cost of $205.00, I was ready to buy one and install it myself until I asked myself "what would be the advantage of having it?". I can't think of one purpose, nor can my co-pilot wife.

So, my question is: "why?"'

Thanks,
John

Old 07-03-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
I seem to be able to do DVD video while in motion....
Please explain in greater detail. What do you mean "seem to be able"? Like either you can or cannot, which is it?

Old 07-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Veteran member

John, I travel a lot for business, and mainly drive at night/early morning, and it is typically a 5 hour trip one-way, extremely boring and little if any traffic on the interstate. I like to bring my movies along that I have seen before so I can listen, and once in awhile - look down to certain scenes. It makes it much easier to stay awake during the drive....so that's my reason.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
John, I travel a lot for business, and mainly drive at night/early morning, and it is typically a 5 hour trip one-way, extremely boring and little if any traffic on the interstate. I like to bring my movies along that I have seen before so I can listen, and once in awhile - look down to certain scenes. It makes it much easier to stay awake during the drive....so that's my reason.
Thanks for your reply. In your case I can definitely see how you could use this capability.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Matt-
A great write-up, and even greater pictures to illustrate it, plus all the attachments one could ask for; your post could serve as as ideal example of how to do one regarding purchase and installation of an aftermarket product. Well done!

At a cost of $205.00, I was ready to buy one and install it myself until I asked myself "what would be the advantage of having it?". I can't think of one purpose, nor can my co-pilot wife.

So, my question is: "why?"'

Thanks,
John

If we could just simply carplay our iPhone screens onto the display like all modern cars do now, this is a non issue. That box should appear soon. Just to be able to bypass our clunky factory Nav with Google map would be worth the price of admission alone, let alone the ability to watch any thing the iPhone can produce. Video games, movies, etc.

This all seems rather archaic. The trend is simply having one infotainment center.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-04-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

I wish we could get the non US spec screen that is dual view so the driver can see the normal displays and NAV and the passenger can watch a video source.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

This may be an interesting mod to ponder. Granted, in my case, I would be looking to swap out the DVD video for a thermal camera that I would mount to the front of the car. Living in a rural area next to a state forrest, I get more than my fair share of deer and other little critters. Thinking having a thermal image down on the radio might be worthwhile to have. This will allow me to see the deer, even if they are behind leaves and whatnot.

But then, this might all come with the addition of my 4 camera DVR setup I am pondering for the car. But, this is going to be a major undertaking as I am looking at tying into the rear view camera (or possibly another camera to get more of a straight back shot), the thermal up front and then removing the side mirrors and mounting some IR cameras in place of the side mirrors with say 7" monitors at the base of the A pillars (acting as the side mirrors). Most of the DVRs have a shock sensor built into them. So, if you get involved in a wreck and the cop asks you what happened, you can simply pull out your phone, pull up the video and let the cop see what happened. Then there is no interpretation. The big thing holding me up with this is the legality aspect of it. Federal DOT law states that you must use a mirror. While the camera would be functioning the same as a mirror, it isn't a mirror. So, the argument would then have to be made as to whether the two are equivalent in the eyes of the law. This is being debated by the car manufacturers now. They are really interested in it as they can gain some miles per gallon by removing the mirrors and streamlining the body of the car.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice write up...I have the Carlink version. Video in Motion...an Easy DIY upgrade-carlink.jpg which cost $169 incl shipping

Great idea using 3m tape to secure it. I wish I had thought of that

Old 07-09-2015, 06:21 PM
Veteran member

Even a better price! If it's shipped from the USA, that's a no-brainer (less wait and less likely to be lost); perhaps you'd share a link where to get one?

Old 07-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I sourced it from an ebay seller in the UK back Oct 2014. Unfortunately the Carlink version is no longer available on Ebay. You can get it directly from the manufacturer in the UK for $230 or as an alternative you could source the Caraudio version on ebay for $183 incl shipping from Portugal.

Attached Thumbnails Video in Motion...an Easy DIY upgrade-vim.jpg  
Old 07-15-2015, 02:07 AM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Ha! Matt, I see you wasted NO time digging into the new Cat! Good stuff! I'm still in debate about upgrading my car or my truck! If I go the car route, I know you'll probably have thread upon thread showing us some great stuff to do/add.

I saw someone mention Airplay (Carplay) that should be an easy add rite Matt? I have it in my Rover as well as an Android Smart tv box in my 07' XJ8L, so I'd imagine that'd be just as easy in the X351? (I could be wrong though)

Old 07-15-2015, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Sorry, but despite the fact that H20boy is the OP, I really think
that having a movie playing in motion is a horrible idea for what
I hope are obvious reasons.

It ranks right up there with texting or phoning while in motion.

May I suggest audio books or ripping just the movie soundtrack?

The following users liked this post:
rtcosic (09-24-2017)
Old 07-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

sorry Marque, I'm unfamiliar with the Airplay (carplay)...or anything else apple related. I've never owned apple products.

Plums is correct in that there are reasons why the video is disallowed while driving, and equally as dangerous as texting, and this is something that I don't personally do during normal driving.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
sorry Marque, I'm unfamiliar with the Airplay (carplay)...or anything else apple related. I've never owned apple products.
Same here Matt, in regards to owning Apple products. A bit too cookie cutter "for me", but however I only know of Airplay because of the products I have in my vehicles, which do Screen Mirroring &/or Airplay...

Old 08-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Pez
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my US spec JAG from a UK dealership that sells to US Service Personnel overseas and what a lot of JAG owners here in the states don't get is that the European version of the DVD system in the JAG is viewable ONLY to the passengers when the car is in motion (above 5 MPH) and only the standard displays are viewable to the driver. I know...I drove the EURO versions of many JAG models before my purchase. The U.S. Import Gurus don't like this option and therefore lock feature on the DVD when the car is in motion. That is the feature I would like to unlock in my JAG as I agree with most on here that there is really no sense in taking the risk of being distracted by a playing movie if you are physically driving the vehicle.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thank you! An excellent upgrade

I followed the instructions and this upgrade is well worth it. There are a ton of DVD's with concerts/videos that are great for this upgrade. I used the same device. You can find it on eBay and it is from Portugal. It only took a few days to arrive. Thank you again!

Old 02-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey H2Oboy. I just completed this install, thanks to your detailed instructions. You made it simple and easy. Everything works as intended. Thanks man!

Quick Reply: Video in Motion...an Easy DIY upgrade