XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ 2011 - why no VDP edition?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Default XJ 2011 - why no VDP edition?

Hi,

Apologize if this thread has been discussed already.

Just curious why there is not a VDP edition of the new XJ model?

Did Jaguar phase out the VDP edition that used to be offered as an option on all previous generation XJ's? What happened to VDP?

Thanks,
Michael

2007 Jaguar S-type Golden Cat

Old 07-22-2011, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's a good question , they should bring back VDP / Daimler edition and those versions should have a different grill styling rather than standard Jaguar models

Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Maybe they consider the Supersport the new VDP.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the SuperSport is the new VDP

Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 AM

I guess I need to re-phrase my original thread question: why no Vanden Plas badging?

Yes, the SuperSport model has additional luxury features, more Hp motor, etc.. But SuperSport has nothing to do with Vanden Plas and is not related to the Vanden Plas company.

I am talking strickly about the Vanden Plas company badging that was on previous models and reflected things like upgraded leather, boxwood inlay in the wood trim, additional wood on overhead consoles, etc.. etc..

Thanks,
Michael

Old 07-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

It could be part of the company strategy to break away from the traditional offerings. Just as the styling is a complete departure from the "old" jaguar, the badging is different on the newer models too. There is no leaper on the hood and the only place it says "jaguar" at all on the car is on the side vents. On the trunk, only the leaper is present and no Jaguar wording. The 2012 XKs remove the Jaguar wording also if I recall. I remember reading somewhere that the new company direction is to use the leaper for all badging and to minimize and/or eliminate the use of the Jaguar name directly on all new models going forward.

As far as wood is concerned boxwood inlays are part of the SuperSport package. I assume that additional wood is not offered because it does not fit with the new styling direction. The XJ as is has significantly less wood than past models. Personally, I think that any additional wood in the car would be overkill.

I'd have to go back and look at the brochure but I think the supercharged/supersport models offer upgraded leather compared to the base model but I could be wrong.

Overall, I think the VDP edition reflects a past style that Jaguar is trying hard to leave in the past, so I don't think we will be seeing a VDP edition XJ any time soon IMHO.

Last edited by another_geek; 07-23-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Another Geek. You just have to read something of the press releases that have come out since the Tata's bought the company.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I also agree with Another Geek. The "old school" Jaguar designs were no longer selling cars and the idea was to make a giant leap in another direction with a whole new face for Jaguar. Pretty gutsy move, but it appears to be successful.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen the Vanden Plas name before on Jaguars but didn't really know what it stood for other than it cost more to get that model. After a quick search on google I found out that it was a coach builder that made Coachwork for many European brands and changed ownership quite a few times in it's lifespan ultimately ending up with jaguar. Now it has been sold again and the new owner is Nanjing automobile in China (go figure!).

That is why there is no Vanden Plas edition as Jaguar no longer owns the rights to the name.

Its also apparently the name of a German Rock band. Lol

Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 PM

Hey guys,

Many thanks for the above responses. Makes sense.

- Michael

Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default there is a word in the factory

that "Daimler " and whoah who... yup "Lanchester" may be brought back for new super lux models in the next few years.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MiaXfsc
I have seen the Vanden Plas name before on Jaguars but didn't really know what it stood for other than it cost more to get that model. After a quick search on google I found out that it was a coach builder that made Coachwork for many European brands and changed ownership quite a few times in it's lifespan ultimately ending up with jaguar. Now it has been sold again and the new owner is Nanjing automobile in China (go figure!).

That is why there is no Vanden Plas edition as Jaguar no longer owns the rights to the name.

Its also apparently the name of a German Rock band. Lol
Oh no , Jaguar sold off one of the most prestigous UK brand to a unknown Chinese firm ?
I have not heard of it , thanks for the clarification

Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually let me clarify that jaguar was not responsible for selling the Vanden Plas name, it belonged to the Rover group and Nanjing automotive from China bought the rights to the design of the Rover and MG group cars along with the Vanden Plas name and many Leyland names as well.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default But still have it for North America according to this Wiki

Originally Posted by MiaXfsc
Actually let me clarify that jaguar was not responsible for selling the Vanden Plas name, it belonged to the Rover group and Nanjing automotive from China bought the rights to the design of the Rover and MG group cars along with the Vanden Plas name and many Leyland names as well.
"The rights to the design of the Rover 75 cars and the MG Group were purchased by a Chinese firm, Nanjing Automobile. Ford purchased the Rover name from BMW to protect the Land Rover name from Shanghai Automotive who wanted the brand. The Vanden Plas name (for outside North America) and many other Leyland names were purchased by Nanjing Automobile."

Old 07-25-2011, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member

This is getting odd to me because Jaguar bought Daimler in 1960 and named their luxurious cars since then ,anyway thanks for the clarification

Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The Daimler brand wasn't brought to North America because of Daimler-Chrysler. Completely unrelated companies, but the same name & it was deemed better to not confuse the customer...?

Jaguar's Daimler in Europe was branded Vanden Plas in North America.

The Daimler Super V8 was basically an XJ Super V8 VDP with all the options factory fitted & nice D badges everywhere. Very luxurious, very expensive & very old-school.

I'd agree that it doesn't really fit in with the fresh new image Jag is trying to build, but they were damn nice cars...