XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

Replace Instrument cluster / immo unit / security module

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Instrument cluster / immo unit / security module

Hi! I am from Russia. I apologize for my English in advance.
I really love Jag's. At now I have about 20 "Cats". Most of them are broken or damage, but I repair them one by one)) It's my hobby...

And so, i need help with repair my DDS X305. It is one of lust x300 I think (vin ...803828). In our country there is no people who can help me((( (especially in my city)

I bought it in a dismantled condition without interior trim, trunk filling, some modules end harness wires. Today i collect parts to start engine and worry about some modules. I have original Body control module / engine control module and gear box module. But there is no security module, immo module and instrument pack. So i take this modules from my damage XJR (USA Spec) and try to start ignition, and nothing happened (only climate systems servo's start). But then I check power and ground on instrument cluster, it's ok! So i disconnect instrument cluster, then start ignition on and re-connect it. Вulb now light, odometer work but voltmeter not work. Engine will not start. If i start ignition off and turn on again odometer will not work until i reconnect instrument cluster "on hot".

Question is:
1. Why instrument cluster work so strange (I tried 2 working instrument clusters and result is same)
2. What will happens then Body control module / engine control module and gear box module is original and security module, immo module and instrument pack is from another car. And what I need to do, to connect all this modules together and start engine.

P. S. Ignition key is duplicate, without immobilisation chip (((

Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...nstrument-pack

Car will not start without the security module ( even the fuse and a good 48 pin connector just under the trunk forward opening and inertia / crash switch ) by design and may not be compatible

I recommend focusing on getting the engine running and work on the other issue later , although the more information the better .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 01-04-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Pheonix_2K, In order to make the repairs it is necessary to understand how the Jaguar Computer Network (CAN BUS) works.
When you insert the key into the ignition a ring in the ignition asks the key for the RFID Code (chip in the key) then sends the info to the SCLM (security control and locking module). The module sends a signal to the ECM (engine control module) and tells it the engine is allowed to start. At that point the ECM will allow the starter to engage and the fuel pump to run and the engine to start.

All of this back and forth communication is routed thru the Instrument Pack. It serves as the connecting point for all of the vehicle modules. Once you replace all of the missing components you will need Jaguar Dealer level computer software to program all to work together. Even though they are all jag modules they have to be programmed to work together and you will also have to have a minimum of to keys with chips to do the programming.

I hope this helps You understand the steps to getting the vehicle running.

The following users liked this post:
1 of 19 (01-31-2018)