XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

X305 v12 or x308 xjr?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X305 v12 or x308 xjr?

What would uou advice?
I want to buy a 1996 x305 xj 6.0 v12 or a 2000 x308 xjr 4.0 v8 supercharges.
​​​​​​. Fuel is no issue. I drive max 12000km a year.
​​​​​​. What is most reliable and fun to drive?
​​​​​​. I drive 50 to 200km distances on the highway maybe once a month.
​​​​​​. I drive 5km apr. 4 times a week

Engines both have run 150000km
X305 has better maintained bodywork and interior.

​​​​​​Is the x305 more likely to become a collectors item?

Old 09-15-2018, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Welcome Jeroen. A few thoughts:

The two models are quite different although at a glance they look very similar.

The X305 V12 is 315hp. The car is generally tuned for comfort, although it is still capable. It doesn't float around like a big Cadillac of the day. It may have a few more luxury amenities than the X308R. The engine is relatively quiet until opened up. The car you're looking at might be a long-wheelbase model, with plenty of room in the back seat to carry adults comfortably.

The X308R supercharged V8 is 400hp. It has a sport tuned suspension, with stiffer springs and shocks, larger wheels and tires, and a limited-slip differential. There is some supercharger whine from what I understand (although not unpleasant). The XJR was not offered in a long-wheelbase model until the Super V8 in 2002 or so.

So, it depends on what you want! I would guess that the XJR would be considered the car that's "more fun" to drive because of its more sporty nature. But, if you want to go on road trips, especially with four people (and not much luggage), there would be no beating the XJ12 long-wheelbase model.

The X305 is a rare, low production model. The X308R, not so much. If something like that is important to you.

The X305 is becoming a collector's item, but realistically only for those vehicles that are very well kept and with low mileage, say less than 50k. But you can still join the exclusive club if it suits you!

Present body and interior condition are important so the X305 may have an advantage there too.

Technically, the X308R is a more complicated vehicle than the X305 in most regards. The V12 engine is generally not difficult to work on, but regular auto shops will hesitate (or refuse) to work on it. Dealers don't have many parts for the V12, and some parts are scarce compared to the availability of X308R parts.

The last generation V12 is a very good engine and its too bad it's value wasn't fully realised by the market before it was retired in favor of the V8 engines.

Good luck, hope to hear back from you.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I ended up buying a XJR from 2002. Great car. Despite having 240K km (150K miles) the technical state of the car is excellent. Just gave it a full service and solved all minor issues.
Still I am "emotionally" attracted to the X305. The V12 is in my opinion the ultimate Jag engine.

I have found a very reasonably priced XJ12 and am now considering to sell the XJR and buy the XJ12. (or in reversed order).
Tips on what to look out for and what to expect would be very helpfull.

- This XJ12 has ran 200K km (125K miles). Is that too much?
- Exterior and interior are in perfect shape. The car is in Spain (where I live) and rust free.
- Still need to check the technical status (incl. electronics): any tips what to look out for would be appreciated.

- I dont drive the car on a daily base (apr. 5-8 K km / year). Mostly use it for short distances. I know this might be an issue for the V12's. Or not?
- I have tools, time and interest to do some work on the car, but would not be able to "rebuild" the entire engine or transmission. A concern might be the availability of parts.

- A consideration for the purchase is that I believe the X305 might be more of a collectors item than the XJR as it is the last 12 cilinder Jag and produced in low numbers.

>> What would be technical reasons to walk away from the car?
>> What issues, that can be resolved, should I expect?
>> Is it a problem to drive the V12 only short distances?

Thanks for any feedback and looking forward to join the X305 club.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:33 PM

By the way: also found a Daimler X305 in similar condition. I always have a problem with Daimlers as I prefer the Jaguar brand. Dont ask me why...
What are the differences between the Daimler and Jaguar versions? (I guess the European Daimler is similar to the US VandenPlas?).
I may go nuts and exchange all Daimler logos and badges for Jag ones...

Old 10-13-2019, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by VivaJag
What are the differences between the Daimler and Jaguar versions?

Simply, the Daimlers are higher-specification.... although market-to-market differences blur the distinctions at times

(I guess the European Daimler is similar to the US VandenPlas?).

In a nutshell, yes

Cheers
DD

Old 10-14-2019, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

- This XJ12 has ran 200K km (125K miles). Is that too much? NO
Mostly use it for short distances. I know this might be an issue for the V12's. Or not? NOT
What would be technical reasons to walk away from the car? NONE
Consideration for the purchase is that I believe the X305 might be a collectors item as it is the last 12 cylinder Jag and produced in low numbers. HOPE SO but not yet
>> What issues, that can be resolved, should I expect? SEE BELOW
>> Is it a problem to drive the V12 only short distances? YES Not enough time to enjoy the ride.

If the car is in average condition the following may need to be addressed after 24 years use, sitting.
Cup holder may/will be broken
Rear view mirror may/will have an issue
Shocks and or shock bushings may/will need replacing
Transmission mount may/will need replacing
Radiator grommets may/will need replacing
Same for the air conditioner thingy in front of the radiator
It may/will need new power steering lines if they have not been serviced
All radiator hoses that are original may/will need replacing
I would expect to see old tires with weather checking
Jack rear end up and see how much play in wheels in and out. If movement rear end needs servicing (not a deal breaker will run forever like this... but...)
Battery may/will need replacing check date code, have battery checked under load (buy a c-tek or something similar to keep new battery happy)
Serpentine belt if original will be tired
Clock may/will need servicing
Radio may/will need servicing
If the shifting into gear is not as smooth or quick as you would think it should be look for an orange dot/slash on the transmission. Dot/slash indicates it has received the factory update and you have another issue, no dot/slash and less than desirable shifting into gear may indicate it just needs the factory update
Bolster on drivers seat may/will be less than desirable
Bottom of the front door panels may/will need new push pins
Hood struts may/will need to be replaced
Cracked clear coat on the woodwork mostle doors and picnic tables and center console. Never the dash?? not sure why
Front wheel bearings may/will be tired
Put car up in the air and wiggle everything on the front end to see which steering components are tired and need attention
If you purchase the car immediately replace all the lug nuts with solid ones. The factory 2 piece are garbage and will leave you on the side of the road speaking French
Pay attention to the throttle linkages above engine cover they can be problematic if not in perfect condition
Unless documented it will need a FULL fluid flush
Most everything listed above is normal for most any car of this age. Would not walk away from any good example even if all the above needed to be addressed. That's why I no longer go and look at them as my shed is not big enough for any more.
Well... that and the wanting to stay married thingy...
Once these cars have been sorted and brought back to their former glory they are one of the best rides of this vintage around. I get far more compliments in my XJ12's than I do in my XKR.
Most have no clue the XKR is a Jag.
Everybody and their brother knows the XJ12 is a Jag. Could be the leeper... I don't know

Last edited by 1 of 19; 10-14-2019 at 09:50 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1 of 19:
944play (08-28-2020), Marc-XJ12 (10-15-2019), SleekJag12 (10-16-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the extensive eply. Clear as water

And so far nothing to really worry about...
Cosmetic good state would be a must before I buy into this car.
As long as parts are available (or can be fiexd), I am not afraid of most of the technical stuff. Just not experienced to take apart the engine or transmission. (tI am sure I can take it apart...geting it back together...)

I will look around on the transmission issue. No clue what that means. I specifically bought the XJR because it has a much better transmission than the other X308s.

Thanks again. Will keep you posted on the progress.

Another possible issue is that I found out that cars before 2000 will be banned from downtown Barcelona as of Jan 1st 2020 and from the entire city from 2025.
So the sensible decission would be to keep the '02 XJR. Then again... a sensible decission would be to buy a 2nd hand yellow Nissan Leaf.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

I ended up buying a XJR from 2002. Great car. Despite having 240K km (150K miles) the technical state of the car is excellent. Just gave it a full service and solved all minor issues.
Still I am "emotionally" attracted to the X305. The V12 is in my opinion the ultimate Jag engine.

I have found a very reasonably priced XJ12 and am now considering to sell the XJR and buy the XJ12. (or in reversed order).
Tips on what to look out for and what to expect would be very helpfull.

- This XJ12 has ran 200K km (125K miles). Is that too much?
- Exterior and interior are in perfect shape. The car is in Spain (where I live) and rust free.
- Still need to check the technical status (incl. electronics): any tips what to look out for would be appreciated.

- I dont drive the car on a daily base (apr. 5-8 K km / year). Mostly use it for short distances. I know this might be an issue for the V12's. Or not?
- I have tools, time and interest to do some work on the car, but would not be able to "rebuild" the entire engine or transmission. A concern might be the availability of parts.

- A consideration for the purchase is that I believe the X305 might be more of a collectors item than the XJR as it is the last 12 cilinder Jag and produced in low numbers.

>> What would be technical reasons to walk away from the car?
>> What issues, that can be resolved, should I expect?
>> Is it a problem to drive the V12 only short distances?

200k km is not too much. But it is past it's prime as a collector's car. It will still hold some value due to it's rarity.

You will not need to take apart the engine or transmission. If it has an earlier transmission that has a shifting delay (a unit without the orange markings), there is really nothing that can be done. Still, this is not a broken transmission, only something to be careful of when shifting into Drive.

You should not drive only short distances in the X305, the engine and oil need to come up to temperature to stay fresh.

Any prior verified work done on the cooling system or suspension is a plus (if it was done right). You will need to continue work in those areas. Be wary of a failed air conditioning system. New a/c parts are hard to find and expensive.

If it is known to need a new radiator, a/c condenser or oil cooler, I'd walk. Or at least start to walk!

In markets with both Jaguar and Daimler, the Daimler will have the finer (top) trim level.

Barcelona... a city known for it's beauty... will be less beautiful once the classic Jaguars are banned. That's sad. There is definitely no beauty in a Nissan Leaf.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
08-2-03 Delayed Engagement.pdf (118.3 KB, 51 views)