XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

“air suspension fault” / “car too low” 2004 xj8 48k 4.2-l

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Kyd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default “air suspension fault” / “car too low” 2004 xj8 48k 4.2-l

Hi... #1, I didn't want to be in "Brand Review" directory... but for the life of me, I could NOT get a thread started anywhere else... ;=(

I find navigating on this site a bit frustrating... trying to create a new post/thread. It would be nice if there was a "Start" Field... and I could just enter my Jag info and problem, then have the software direct me to a proper directory and once there... have a "Create New Post/Thread" button... but I digress.

A couple years ago, the Air Suspension Fault (ASF) light came on during a cold snap... the temp dropped in the mid 40's and when it warmed up the problem (error message) went away… But tonight it was only 74 and the ASF light came on again, then a mile or so down the road, the "Car Too Low" light came on... I drove another 3 miles home. garaged the Jag and logged on to this site... trying to plan my next move... I noticed our jag was lower in the front... the wheel wells were about even with the tire height...

Anybody have suggestions? (Why do these malfunctions always happen on Friday Nights? ;=)

1. Can I drive the car 44 miles to jag shop if the front end is still low?
2. Jag has 48K on her odometer, easy driving always. How long do shocks last?
3. Ditto with the compressor... what is their lifespan?
4. How much would a R&R cost if I need 2 or 4 shocks AND a compressor?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions...
Kyd

Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Kyd,
I've moved you to the XJ8 section.
You can either bookmark your browser to point at the XJ8 section or navigate here
XJ ( X350 & X358 ) XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
from the main menu

The following users liked this post:
Kyd (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Worn shocks

1. Can I drive the car 44 miles to jag shop if it's still low?
First, check if the tires are rubbing on the inner top sections of the wheel well.

2. Car has 48K on her odometer, easy driving always. How long do shocks last?

The shock’s rubber components will deteriorate over time/usage, causing leaks.

It depends on how often it has to supply air to the air tank—to keep the shocks inflated.

Check with ARNOTT INDUSTRIES:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_JAGUAR_yid20_pid136.html

Do not purchase from sites that deal with used parts from damaged autos; components have not been properly tested and may be worn out or in the same condition as yours.

Kyd (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree with Reyes, contact Arnott they do all you will need once you discover if its the Springs or Compressor. My XJR has Arnotts and they look and feel great, they can provide rebuilds or they also have there own design replacements.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Kyd

I realize I have to get our Jag into Matheny Imports (Jacksonville FL) to fully assess our suspension problem... but first getting info:

Update: I checked out Arnott's on the Web (Nice info guys!)... they have a kit (4 Gas Charged Shocks + Springs) for $1295... Fortunately, Arnott is located about 150 miles south (EZ Shipping) I contacted (Email) them to see if they know of any other qualified shops in my area that can do the R&R (and disable/remove the current compressor). I'm not sure how 'receptive' our dealer (Matheny's Imports) will be on using non-OEM parts... I sent them an Email also stating it is my desire to use Arnott's system... So now I wait on their replys and arrange for another vehicle/rental...

Last edited by Kyd; 09-29-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Make situation more clear
Old 09-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hmmm....

Before you rush off and spend loadsamoney, stand back a bit.

A car on your sort of miles should have many years/miles of life left in the suspension system, except for the air compressor. This compressor is a known short-life component, and from your story, it started to fail two years ago when you got your first suspension fault message. You have the well-known symptoms of compressor failure. When you got the first message 2 years ago, the compressor was starting to not charge the reservoir within its target time, so an error was flagged. However, it takes a lot of time to actually fail; in your case 2 years, so you have done quite well ! However, it is now so knackered it cannot even get the reservoir to the required pressure, so the car is now low.

You don't mention anything about having the fault codes read at a workshop or Jaguar agent. My betting is that you will have C2303 indicating a reservoir charging problem, plus some others because the car is low, probably due to low pressure in the reservoir.

I expect all you will need to replace is the compressor at around Ł300 plus 45 minutes to fit. You may need to trailer the car if it is really low, but if the tyres are free of the body, maybe driver at very slow speed to the shop, or fit the compressor yourself as many on here have done. However, if you're not a mechanical type, best let the experts fit it.

Kyd (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Remember Arnott have compressors too and at much lower prices than the jag dealer!

The following 2 users liked this post by Robert Page:
Kyd (09-29-2012), Xeno (08-30-2021)
Old 09-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Either way you go, Arnott is an amazing company. Their product is to notch, conversion kit or air suspension components. Customer service is unbeatable, the warranty is perfect. I've been dealing with about for almost three years now for different reasons and i have never been unsatisfied. You will be extremely pleased. I converted my 04 xj8 after a major suspension failure. The conversion is amazing.

The following 2 users liked this post by usmc1211:
Kyd (09-29-2012), MR.T (12-14-2013)
Old 09-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Kyd

Thanks for your insight... I plan on having our Jag trailered to our local dealer to assess the gravity of our problem(s) on Monday... I'll talk over our options with Service Rep before we make any concrete plans... I first need to find out if the service dept will let me buy Arnott's parts and not get stiffed with Jaguar OEM...
Cheers

Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I recently installed a compressor from Arnott in my XJR.

Seriously doubt that an official franchised Jaguar dealer will install an Arnott compressor for you.

This is really quite an easy job, any small independant garage could do this for you, have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...99/#post581966

Kyd (09-30-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: compressor

Hi can anyone tell me where the compressor is for the air suspension on a x350

Thanks

Old 10-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Cherry_560sel (01-02-2014)
Old 10-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Kyd
Default UPDATE: "Air Suspension Fault"

I avoided taking our car to the Jag dealer and took to a local shop (family recommended)... just got a call from the shop... seems there's a poped air bag... not sure just what this is... but from what I was told, it's seems to be the "collector" where all the air-lines to the shocks originate... I was told there was a thumb sized hole in the bag... I wonder if this was caused by that road debris I hit???

Part will be ordered Monday (10/8). I'll update y'all when I task is finished.

Kyd

Old 10-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

seems there's a poped air bag... not sure just what this is... but from what I was told, it's seems to be the "collector" where all the air-lines to the shocks originate... I was told there was a thumb sized hole in the bag... I wonder if this was caused by that road debris I hit???
I'm a bit puzzled by your last post. Air "bags" (better called "diaphragms")are in each of the air springs to retain the compressed air and allow the air spring to work. There is a compressed air reservoir, but this is inside the trunk near the spare wheel, and thus not susceptible to road damage, and it's also made of steel. The reservoir is bolted up to the valve block which controls air supply to each air spring via small diameter airlines. These are plastic, so could get damaged I suppose, but I have never seen a post on this forum about ruptured air suspension lines; maybe others have experience.

Anyway, hope you get it fixed and at not too much cost.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I would love to know more on this, for the life of me I can not figure out what the indy shop is talking about. I agree with Fraser 100%

Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Kyd

Sorry for the confusing term 'Air Bag'... that's how the shop manager relayed it to me and I elaborated on what I envisioned he was trying to convey…

I’ll have the real details Monday or Tuesday…

Cheers

Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Kyd
Default Pictures of our XJ8

I'm uploading a few pictures... you'll see the wheel well hanging about an inch over the tire... I'll know more about how this "Air Suspension Fault" dilemma was solved tomorrow and hopefully the part will be in stock at the Jag Dealer...
-------------> Cheers

Attached Thumbnails -october-1-7-014.jpg   -october-1-7-015.jpg   -october-1-7-013.jpg  
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Kyd

Update: I got our Jag back today...The front right "Air Suspension" assembly was repaced... Not due to road hazards... just wore out... I don't know why Jag calls this part an "Air Bag"... it's like a huge strut...(3 feet long, 1 Meter) Aamco got the part from Arnott... they charged me $840 for parts and $170 (85/hr) labor, $70.70 Tax ($1080.70) I was overcharged for the Shock, because a pair was only $875... but this repair cost us way less than the dealer... ;=)

CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Price: $875.00

Core Deposit: $100.00

New FRONT Air Suspension Shocks (PAIR)

We now have new aftermarket front shock assemblies that boast custom monotube shocks equipped with specially-tuned valving for maximum ride control and comfort!

Arnott is pleased to introduce a completely new air shocks for the Jaguar XJ series. Our new design features a custom made and tuned mono tube shock absorbers manufactured in the USA. We have worked tirelessly over the years to eliminate many of the weak design flaws on the OE shocks. Our design eliminates many of the common high wear designs such as the leaky upper seal, noisy upper mounts, and the weak lower rubber sealing design. Your price is only $875.00 for the pair, plus a refundable $100.00 core charge (prepaid return label included). Once again, our design is not only more efficient, but it’s also much more affordable! Each shock is covered under a lifetime warranty This kit fits vehicles with sport or comfort suspension

Features :
• Custom Designed Monotube Shock Absorbers
• CNC Machined Aluminum Parts
• Valved to Ride like OEM Suspension
• Anodized Aluminum Finish
• Pre-assembled For Easy Installation
• Engineered and Made in USA

Attached Thumbnails -october-1-7-013.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Actually the reservoir is aluminum, not steel.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=reyesl;590244]1. Can I drive the car 44 miles to jag shop if it's still low?
First, check if the tires are rubbing on the inner top sections of the wheel well.

2. Car has 48K on her odometer, easy driving always. How long do shocks last?

The shock’s rubber components will deteriorate over time/usage, causing leaks.

It depends on how often it has to supply air to the air tank—to keep the shocks inflated.

Check with ARNOTT INDUSTRIES:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_JAGUAR_yid20_pid136.html

Do not purchase from sites that deal with used parts from damaged autos; components have not been properly tested and may be worn out or in the same condition as yours.[/QUOT

It is 30 degrees in Dallas and about 18 overnight and snowing, my air suspension is sitting low after 2 days of parking the car under this cold weather condition but I never had that problem in FL , is that ok for the air shocks to sit low like that on cold weather ? Only the front ones do

Quick Reply: “air suspension fault” / “car too low” 2004 xj8 48k 4.2-l