XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Aftermarket Navigation Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ryejag
My unit is a Kenwood DNX9140 with XM digital sat radio, Parrot Bluetooth, and Garmin nav. I don't believe that my shop used any double DIN kit. The install was totally custom. The piano black faceplate is wood and is finished in black lacquer. The steering wheel controls work but the volume controls work only in the daytime. Once the lights come on the volume controls cease to work (something about resistance of the wiring). I have not been able to find a control cable to overcome this. The amp is stock factory as well as the speakers. I would eventually like to replace the factory subwoofers as they don't output enough bass for my tastes. I have since added a rear backup camera. It really works well as one cannot see how far the rear end extends. Coupled with rear audible backup sensors I can now paralell park with ease. The only other thing I need to do now is to update my Garmin maps via download from the internet. My maps are currently 3 years old. The cost of the update is $99.00 and is only good for one year. Unfortunately lifetime updates are not available for the DNX9140. Hope this info is helpful.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I am very interested in your installation. Are you familiar with wiring and other installation details or did you have someone else handle those details?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:38 PM

ryejag-My local stereo shop handled the whole job. The name of the shop is D-tronics in McAllen, TX. My only instruction to them was that I wanted the job to look factory. I know that the factory system uses fiberoptic, and I was worried that they would not be able to work with that. They assured me that it would not be a problem, and it wasn't. They kept my car for about 3 days for the initial install. I was told they needed to take off the door panels to access the speakers. I initially wanted both the xm antenna and the nav antenna to be mounted on the top of the dash with a view of the sky through the windshield. I didn't want any exterior antennas showing. However, the xm reception was not adequate, and I had to have the xm antenna moved to the center of the roof centered above the windshield. I may eventually have the black antenna painted to match my factory Radiance Red paint color for aesthetic reasons. The nav antenna works perfectly mounted on the dash. When I took the vehicle back for the backup camera install the shop used a Pioneer model. According to my sales rep the Pioneer unit was better than the Kenwood unit. Something about the low light capability and sharpness being better in the Pioneer unit. After the camera install I did have to return to the shop because my message center gave me a "parking brake fault", and my factory alarm would not arm. They fixed the issue by adding a resistor to the camera wiring. The only thing that I miss is the "zone" markers that are found in factory backup cameras. Since the camera is very wide angle, I have a difficult time judging how close I am to the car behind me when I am parallel parking. Luckily, I have factory audible backup warning that makes up for the lack of green-yellow-red zone markers on my display screen. Sorry I can't give you any technical details about the wiring scheme.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Smile

Clee

Details are most helpful prior to taking the big$ plunge. If they took the front door panels off, I believe they did not go thru the factory amp but direct, unless they replaced the speakers in the front doors? Not sure if the fiber optics goes to the factory amp or CD deck, I believe its to the trunk mounted CD changer Great website at D-tronics. I will probably tackle this on my own in the winter, when the XJR if off the road. Snow, wide tires and 390HP do not go well together even with the "narrow" 18 inch winter tires.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM

I had a Sony unit installed in a day with a custom face plate that matches the leather. It includes navigation, DVD and Bluetooth. Car Toys in Portland for $1300.00 did the install and the cords for the USB and headphones are where the ash tray used to be behind the door. Sounds great with the stock Alpine system and love my bluetooth. Might consider having the faceplate redone in piano black as my trim is black walnut.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi,

Although your unit was well installed and has many technological advantages over the OEM, from an aesthetics point of view, the standard OEM Nav system flows nicely with the car's dash. I am a fanatic for finer details, and having a small HVAC screen over a large aftermarket Nav-***-radio screen doesn't go down well with me.

I'd like to find an OEM unit from a salvage and would like to know what else I would need to rip out of the salvage to fit it in my car. I'll certainly rip out the harness, screen, dvd modules in the boot, but what else should I find? Would I require the salvage to have the same range VIN as mine or does it not matter? Would I need to reprogramme my radio/ unit afterwards?

My car only has heated front windscreen, non-electrochromatic outside door mirrors (with interior being electrochromatic), heated front seats, and Jaguar-approved or sourced ipod integration unit, original Jaguar built-in Motorolla phone. Would all these be affected with my own installation of a Nav unit sourced from a wrecked XJ from a scrapyard?

Old 09-15-2015, 01:41 PM

Hello H20boy! I have seen your posts on a few threads about installing aftermarket stereos into Jaguars. I just bought a 2007 XJ8 L with the navigation, but there are a number of things that, to me, seem to be in dire need of upgrading! You seem to be quite knowledgeable about such things.

I would like to install either a Pioneer 8100 NEX or Alpine 957HD into the dash to replace the factory nav unit. I am concerned, though, because it appears that the climate controls are built into the nav unit. Is there hope?

Any advice you (or anyone else knowledgeable about this) may offer will be much appreciated!!!! Thank you.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alarm being triggered by audio system

I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping you all can help me. I recently upgraded to my non-premium, non-amplified factory radio in my 2004 XJ8 to a Pioneer NAV unit at BestBuy and ever since I got it back, my car alarm randomly goes off (usually in the middle of the night). I took it to the Jaguar Doctor in Orlando, FL and they said the code was reading "Audio System" in the alarm module, so I took it back to BestBuy and they unhooked the stereo and reconnected it to a different accessory power supply, but the next night, the alarm went off again. They have no idea what could be causing this issue, and I am at the end of my rope. I will have to get rid of this car if I cannot figure out what is happening, and it breaks my heart to say that, because I have spent thousands of dollars getting her back to perfect shape. I could go back to the factory stereo, but no Bluetooth is a deal breaker for me. I also had them install the module that make the steering wheel audio controls work, I replaced the front cigarette lighter with a USB and HDMI port for the radio, and have an iPod connector in the glove box (I unplugged the iPod thinking that was it, but it was not) I wonder if it is the steering wheel audio control adapter? If any of you can offer guidance I would be very grateful.

Last edited by Adam2fl; 02-11-2019 at 03:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dac321 (01-07-2024)
Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to update this post. I took it to a radio shop and there is some wire in the trunk that was connected to the security system that had to be disconnected. I have had no trouble since. Thanks!

The following 3 users liked this post by Adam2fl:
cooldood (09-11-2019), dac321 (01-07-2024), Pete M (01-08-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Adam2fl
Just wanted to update this post. I took it to a radio shop and there is some wire in the trunk that was connected to the security system that had to be disconnected. I have had no trouble since. Thanks!
I know this is an old thread but great information. I will most likely go this route soon, as I just picked up an 06 XJ8. Mind if I ask the ballpark figure of what you paid? And do you still own your Jag?