XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Arnott Front Air Struts Part # 2004 xj8

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 08:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Arnott Front Air Struts Part # 2004 xj8

Hello friends

My front struts gave in finally and I sent my car in to have them replaced with new ones.
After about a month, one of them developed a leak and the mech replaced it through claiming it from the supplier.
Shortly after that the second one had the same issue but the supplier claims he had no more new struts to change.
I searched the internet in order to import new ones but am confused with how many different part number are claimed to fit my 2004 xj8.
The last ones that were fitted had an AS-2710 part number but I am now concerned what if this part number is wrong.
I never did see the originals in order to compare numbers but assume they were Bilsteins.
I saw one with part # AS-2888 which looks exactly like the one that broke down and is claimed to fit 2004 xj8. Should I take a chance and buy it?
Interestingly enough it stated that it fits vehicles with "Soft Suspension" (which I assume applies to my car) and valid for vehicles from chassis number G35211.
I assumed this related to my VIN but there is nothing like that on my VIN number.
Is the chassis number different, and if so, where do I locate it?
Your kind input will be appreciated.

Thanks, Farouk

Old 10-02-2022, 02:58 PM
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Arnott AS2888 is the front air spring with comfort suspension and AS2890 are the front with sport suspension for the XJR. RockAuto has them for $445.89 before 5% discount. Shipping is under $11 for ground shipping.
AS-2710 is the old Arnott version and yes, the car originally came with Bilsteins. Believe the Bilstein is a 44-069483 for around $1100- $1400 each depending on where you get them.

The following 2 users liked this post by FreeWifi:
Challenger (10-02-2022), Don B (10-05-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 03:26 PM

Many thanks for your informative and prompt response. Will check them out and order.
Thx again buddy
Cheers

Old 10-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

If you can afford the Bilsteins, GET THEM. They will give you many years of reliable service.

The following 2 users liked this post by JCalhoun:
Challenger (10-03-2022), Don B (10-05-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 03:00 PM

Thank you for your comment as well.
WHilst I have on my signature that it is my daily car, but that was in 2005 when I first registered here.
Since then I have been collecting classic cars, restoring them to factory specs and enjoying driving them (currently 35) that my sweet heart XJ8 now gets driven very rarely
Thus I will stick with the Arnotts which I guess with the little mileage I now run them, they will probably outlast me

Thx again for your contribution

Old 10-03-2022, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts

I would like to see how these new Arnott’s hold up rarely driven. I drive my Jag once or twice a week usually.
Replaced leaking Arnott with two new ones last summer. Started leaking immediately. Passenger side more. But my car only has one ride height sensor, front struts are tied together.
If driven every three - four days it is not too bad. After a week front end is down all the way. Sickening.
Have to use a shop to collect free replacements, so 200 - 300 USD to get free replacements.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-05-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Panelhead
I would like to see how these new Arnott’s hold up rarely driven. I drive my Jag once or twice a week usually.
Replaced leaking Arnott with two new ones last summer. Started leaking immediately. Passenger side more. But my car only has one ride height sensor, front struts are tied together.
If driven every three - four days it is not too bad. After a week front end is down all the way. Sickening.
Have to use a shop to collect free replacements, so 200 - 300 USD to get free replacements.
Arnott's warranty makes no mention that they must be installed by a shop. Nor have I heard of any warranty being rejected by someone who self-installed. Yet what I am more interested in knowing is where your Arnott's are leaking from after just 3-4 days? And where the immediate leak was after installing. Could it be the original air line fitting wasn't removed when installing (just a thought)? Bilstein's require the fitting, the Arnott's do not.

Don B (11-21-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Been fighting leaking struts for over seven years.

Originally Posted by FreeWifi
Arnott's warranty makes no mention that they must be installed by a shop. Nor have I heard of any warranty being rejected by someone who self-installed. Yet what I am more interested in knowing is where your Arnott's are leaking from after just 3-4 days? And where the immediate leak was after installing. Could it be the original air line fitting wasn't removed when installing (just a thought)? Bilstein's require the fitting, the Arnott's do not.

I started with soapy water on the air connections at top of the struts. Not bubble one. Mine actually were holding for seven - ten days.
Think it is the o-rings. The top of the struts does not seem to leak as much as the Bilstein. And the top leaks as usually really slow. These new one have dropped overnight and held for five days after driving.
One day the compressor started running at every stop. Right corner was lower than the left. Finally the compressor timed out and I reset with scanner.
Checked the tightness of the check valves as well as I could with struts installed. Felt the right one move a little. This may have helped, never had compressor run while driving since. Just after sitting for few days.
Have 4 year old RMT rebuilds on rear. They hold air fine. Originally one used to bleed off after a week or so. Found check valve loose. Tightening even after pulling did not help. THEN one day it stopped bleeding off. Held since.
A friend felt it was the top. And some debris inside sealed it. Said it would start leaking but has been holding for other two years.
These are my fourth and fifth Arnott front struts. Car cane with one. Took off and replaced with a used Sport. It failed soon and ran the Arnott rebuild for a couple years. Replaced both with new Arnott. Those were what was pulled when the two on now were installed. But those two held air well for a couple years.

Don B (11-21-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 12:40 PM
Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JCalhoun
If you can afford the Bilsteins, GET THEM. They will give you many years of reliable service.
Where?? I need them and can spare the $$ but the dealer wants $1800 EACH.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Have 4 year old RMT rebuilds on rear. They hold air fine. Originally one used to bleed off after a week or so. Found check valve loose. Tightening even after pulling did not help. THEN one day it stopped bleeding off. Held since.
Unfortunately I had no similar luck with RMT's. Had one pop the retainer ring off 5 mins after installing. Was a complete hassle to get a return. I posted about the whole ordeal and lack of professionalism and blaming between the both CARiD and RMT. Even had RMT send a snarky email mentioning the post I made here on the forum and that I should have bought from them directly instead of buying them at a discount from one of their distributors.

Don B (11-21-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by pkoko
Where?? I need them and can spare the $$ but the dealer wants $1800 EACH.
FRSport has them for $1074 ea. Never bought anything from them so can't vouch good or bad. Can also find them on eBay for $1100 - $1400+ just make sure they are from reputable sellers and are in fact new. You can also enter Bilstein 44-069483 in google search and use their shopping feature. Be sure to double check reviews and BBB before ordering from stores you're not familiar with.

Last edited by FreeWifi; 10-04-2022 at 10:13 PM.
pkoko (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

The valve block in the trunk, might be the cause these issues.

Don B (11-21-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 02:16 PM

Hello Gents, back to report my progress.
I ordered a set of Arnott front struts and went into the challenge of installing them myself, as my mechanic was still too busy with my other cars. It was a bit challenging and as I went through the first one, which took me about 8 hours (over a period of 3 days), I learned all the hard spots and the second one took me about 3 hours, and that long only because some bolts were too seriously stuck in their place.
Anyway installation as per Arnott's official site went all well but the car would not stand up well. Called my mechanic and he suggested to drive the car in my parking lot front and back a few times.
Did that and the car stood up nicely at the front but not too well at the back. Front measured around 27-27.5 cm
With the car at least not crawling close to the floor, as was the case before, took it out on the road the following day and headed towards my mechanic to clear so many faults.
At times the car would feel fine on the road and at times would feel very bumpy as in when the struts are deflated, and all the time I was having warnings on the panel of "Vehicle Too Low" and "Faulty Air Suspension System".
When my mech cleared all the faults that appeared, the car stood up I would say to the recommended height, which I read somewhere on the forum to be 37.5 cm (I think) from the center of the wheel cap to the body.
I was very happy and started to go home, but as soon as I did, felt the car to have gone down again.
Went back for a review on the computer and this time he went more thoroughly through almost all the items he had on his screen, and one by one checked the struts heights etc and all seemed well, no more "Fault" nor "Low" warnings.
Drove away but after a few miles they all came back again, yet the car was high enough to to pose a driving risk or unpleasant low level feeling.
I left it at that and decided to continue using the car and see how it goes.
Used it for a few days but still always having the Fault and Low issues.
The last measurements I took were about 36.5 cm at the front and around 35 at the back.
I left the car parked and checked it for the next 3 days and it seemed to hold all round the same height but i did not measure.
I had to travel and came back (12 days later) to see the back ones gone down significantly. I did not measure them but could barely slip my finger between the tire and the edge of the car.
The front ones also dropped down too but not as much, there was still clearance to pass my fingers over the tires.
Anyway, started the car and let it run for a few minutes and allowed the pump to inflate the car and measured all tires, all were more or less 35-35.5 cm high.
Drove it forward and back a few times in the parking and measured again, they were still the same.
Will check on their level tomorrow, but it was still reading Too Low and Faulty Air Suspension.
Any advice what to check next?
In the meantime, not sure if it is related, But the automatic setting on the light switch was functioning wrongly, when switched off, if I move the gear handle from park to any position, the lights will go on, but all other functions of the light switch will work normal. Hence I cannot turn off the lights as long as I am in gear.
Please note that the car was parked for over a year, close to 2 years before I decided to work on it, just in case this is relevant.

Thanks for any advice on what to check next
Regards

Don B (11-21-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 04:38 PM

Today's update, checked the car and it is still holding the same height at which I left it last night, namely 35 cm on all wheels except rear back left which has been and still is 0.5 cm higher.
This is a bit lower than what I read somewhere on this forum that the correct height should be, I believe, 37.5 cm.
So what should I be looking for to resolve the "Vehicle Too Low" fault and "Faulty Air Suspension System".

Thx for any suggestions

Old 11-21-2022, 10:39 AM
Received 12,762 Likes on 6,393 Posts

Hi Farouk,

My first suspicion is that your air compressor piston ring/seal is worn an the compressor cannot properly pressurize the system. The compressor can usually be rebuilt using a piston ring from our member bagpipingandy (bagpipingandy.com). In addition to replacing the piston ring, you should clean all the moisture and corrosion from the compressor leaf valve, exhaust valve and pressure relief valve, and bake the desiccant beads in a 500 degree Fahrenheit oven overnight to partially reactivate them, or replace the molecular sieve desiccant beads.

If your mechanic has SDD, the Jaguar dealer diagnostic system, he can recalibrate your ride height. The ride height is measured from the center of the wheel to the lower edge of the wheel arch in the fender/wing. The factory specification for this measurement is 386mm front and 373mm rear, +/-15mm.

For a full explanation of the air suspension see this link:

Air Suspension & ECATS System Summary: Components & Operation

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 11-21-2022 at 04:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (03-02-2023), Challenger (11-21-2022), EssOess (03-02-2023)
Old 11-21-2022, 02:56 PM

Hi Don

I am very grateful for your intervention and the amazing thread you have compiled relating to the suspension!
I think after reading it and taking it in, I might as well apply to Jaguar for a full time suspension engineer
Kudos my learned gentleman for such an amazing compilation which I am sure has helped many and will many more.

From what I read so far, and I have not finished reading it all, I pretty much think that my issue is indeed with the compressor.
I say that because at my cave, when I started the car, I could hear the compressor going on for a while, went off and on again and then no more.
I assume from your explanations that it timed out before it could pump the suspension and reservoir or air tank to the needed pressure, hence the car has been standing at a height of approx 350 mm.
Now with the bank of information you have supplied, I will be able to sort this out and make sure all wheels adjust to the correct height, after of course refurbishing the compressor, and there again many thanks for telling us where to get the kit from.
I have experienced the lowering of the car due to high speeds more than once, seeing you touched on the subject, as I drive very fast and can get away with it in my country, yet still get caught with a ticket now and then. The best feeling after the speed rush is when I slow down and rolling slow in traffic, suddenly the car pops up again to the regular height strange but satisfying feeling.

Whilst thanking you again for your amazing work, I leave you with a memory photo taken by me whilst on one of those speeding runs.

Best regards

Don B (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 03:22 PM
Received 12,762 Likes on 6,393 Posts

Hi Farouk!

WOW! I don't know whether I am more impressed by the position of the speedometer needle or by the fact that you were able to also take a photograph of it!!!!

Thank you for your very kind words. I am grateful to be part of the Jaguar owner community, where so many other forum members have generously shared their knowledge and wisdom with me, helping me maintain my own cars and those of friends, and saving us all a lot of money in the process. It's a privilege to pass along what I've learned.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (03-02-2023), Challenger (11-21-2022), EssOess (03-02-2023)
Old 11-21-2022, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Farouk!

WOW! I don't know whether I am more impressed by the position of the speedometer needle or by the fact that you were able to also take a photograph of it!!!!

Thank you for your very kind words. I am grateful to be part of the Jaguar owner community, where so many other forum members have generously shared their knowledge and wisdom with me, helping me maintain my own cars and those of friends, and saving us all a lot of money in the process. It's a privilege to pass along what I've learned.

Cheers,

Don
Hahaha, you can tell by the blurry photo how (un) comfortable I was whilst taking it.

Yes indeed, this is the true spirit of such groups and they make a world of a difference to vehicle owners.
In fact in many cases, especially on older cars, going to the car dealer may not resolve the issue, and seeking the knowledge of your local mechanic again at times may not do the job.
I am a classic car collector and often meet up such a situation where my mechanic cannot resolve any further, and hence I advise him to wait for my feedback, which comes from wonderful groups like this one.
I'm glad I "met" you and will certainly add my comments once my issues are solved, and hope this thread will also end up helping someone else as it helped me.

Cheers buddy

Don B (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

No place around here to operate the car at such a speed.
Out west in our desert area you probably could.

Challenger (11-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2023, 02:47 PM

Hello again dear friends.
After a small recess on not working on my XJ8, I went back to it after importing a repair kit from Bagpipingandy for my air compressor.
With that done, I started the car after reinstalling the compressor, the car seemed to level up quite well on all 4 wheels, but they 4 were not identical.
I called ror the mechanic to come over and reprogram the suspension and clear any previous faults.

In the past week or so, and after having reconditioned the compressor, I would start the cat and would see it lifting up all four wheel.
The levels would come down slightly but after a good week or so.

Today, with the mechanic and his computer to help out, the code C2302 kept coming up.
I read somewhere on this group to check relay # 4. How can I determine which is # 4. Please advise.

Somewhere else C2302 is explained as possible air leak. If so, how come the car would maintain its level foe quite a few days.

Also after the mechanic left, I went out for d a drive to check things out but to my surprise the car's level went down quite seriously and more so on the rear wheels with the usual suspension fault and vehicle too low.

Grateful for any advice on what I should be looking at and doing.

Cheers
Farouk

Quick Reply: Arnott Front Air Struts Part # 2004 xj8