XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Carwash - Killing Machine

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 11:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Carwash - Killing Machine

Yes, I know, I know, I should know better but... after years of nothing ever happened like that,
it's about time for me to learn that sooner or later car-wash will claim it new victim.

Anyway, after I wash it and tried to start, she would fire up but 1 - 2 seconds latter would die.
Error massages would include know line up such as: engine system, parking brake, etc.

After clearing error, I've managed to start but it would run if I keep above 4000 RPM and as soon
as I let pedal go, it would die. I tried to clean throttle and air flow sensor without any luck.

What would be the easiest way to fix this problem?

Thanks

Last edited by jagxjr; 11-11-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:13 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Perhaps water in the crank sensor or crank sensor plug? I just got done reading another thread where they stated the fuel pump will not stay on if the car can't see the engine turning over as a safety feature. IveI had all sorts of headaches after washing engines, but that sparkly clean engine bay is hard to resist! It's worth disconnecting it and using some compressed/canned air or, if your not like me and have more patience, let it air dry for a bit.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:26 AM

Ah, but I didn't wash engine, I have washed it in coin wash in spring without any problems.

Thanks for tip

Old 11-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,142 Likes on 667 Posts

You didn't wash the engine? and now it won't start. Sounds like you're the unlucky guy of the week. I Don't think washing your Jag at the "car wash" caused your failure. It just so happened to be where it chose to die.

PS Cats Don't like WATER!

Old 11-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
I Don't think washing your Jag at the "car wash" caused your failure. It just so happened to be where it chose to die.
Nice guess. It would be even more sound if not the fact that last summer friend of mine had almost the same
problem twice (but his Jag just blown a few fuses) and according to car-wash staff something like that has had
happen to other Jags and others misc vehicles.

So, thanks for trying but... do you have something helpful I can apply to fix my car?

Last edited by jagxjr; 11-11-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Only thing I can tell you is to start going through any connectors water could have gotten into, especially from undercarriage sprays or just the lower jets of the wash.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 96x300
Only thing I can tell you is to start going through any connectors water could have gotten into, especially from undercarriage sprays or just the lower jets of the wash.
Checking and drying connections and wires, cleaning throttle and air flow sensor was first I have done.

What I need to know, is what can I do now based on how my Jag is acting.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

Start by scanning for codes.
Post them here and we can help.

Any messages on the dash?

Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Sounds like water seepage from windshield area may have found it's way into PCM or harness. Sometimes water will seep behind the windshield cowl and drip on the firewall, where the PCM sits.

For starters check your drain in front of the cabin filter to ensure it is not blocked and drains freely.

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (11-11-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

I think I got you - Had this happen on my 06 XJ8L - Its VERY likely the PCM is as stated above. The drain right under the cabin air filter gets blocked with leaves and debris. Then ONE good car wash and water not only gets into the PCM harness, IT GETS DIRECTLY INTO THE PCM CASE.

Its aluminum - the case, and you will need to get the passenger footwell carpeting pulled back and remove it from the harness. The harness is locked on with a cam, so don't try forcing it off the harness. Its hard to see down in the footwell, but that cam is just a U-shaped arm that pulls and holds the harness on the ECU connection. When I did and tilted it WATER came pouring out. After 3 weeks of ownership, I was seriously hyperventilating. Wondering what this was going to cost me. In the end it cost me a few hours of panic, and some disassembly - nothing more.

The good news? The Circuit Board in there is plastic coated and had NO permanent damage. I dried it with a blow dryer (gently) after removing the ONE PCB in the module. Put it back together and everything was PERFECT - except I had to reset the Parking Brake and the Windows - Oh yeah - DO disconnect your negative battery lead before pulling any of this apart. I am fairly sure you have this going on - you have exactly the same symptoms I had and directly after a car wash - Lots of alerts, warnings, and ran so poorly I could not drive it home.

I ended up disassembling it and drying the board in a small pharmacy with a blow dryer they let me use - I had pulled into their parking lot the night before. Don't keep trying to run the car, and don't expect to dry it out without pulling the ECM or whatever Jaguar calls the Engine Control Module out of the car. I did that for about 2 hours, thinking whatever got wet would dry. When the water poured out of the module (about the size of a car radio head unit) I know I was looking at the trouble - I was VERY impressed that a thorough dry out was all it needed to be perfect once again. I think I wrote this up at the time. I will take a look.

The following 3 users liked this post by Blairware:
jagxjr (11-14-2018), paddyx350 (11-12-2018), paydase (03-15-2019)
Old 11-12-2018, 10:31 PM

If you find your PCM did get wet you need to take necessary steps to ensure water ingress doesnt occur again.

I sealed my cowl to the bottom of my windshield and placed clear silicone in areas around my PCM rubber on the firewall. Now the heaviest rains go away from the firewall and down the sides of the cabin filter to the drain underneath.

I would firmly take my XJR through the car wash. (Although I never use them) Hand wash all the way.

jagxjr (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by meirion1
Start by scanning for codes.
Post them here and we can help.

Any messages on the dash?
Can't read codes because of this on iCarsoft LRII:
Fault with communication with vehicle ECU.
Please confirm:
1. This vehicle is armed with the system;
2. This system is an electrical control system.
3. The diagnostic connector is OK;
Dashboard:
  • Restricted Performance
  • Parking brakes
  • Air Compressor
Just got compressor kit and relay to rebuild it.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:43 PM

@Blairware and @abonano, thanks guys

Old 11-16-2018, 05:33 PM

Just curios.
She is starting and if I keep it running around 2500 - 3000 RPM she is idling study
but starting going crazy, misfiring and shaking if I push over 3000 and die under 2500.

What would explain this behavior?

Thanks.

Last edited by jagxjr; 11-16-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by jagxjr
Just curios.
She is starting and if I keep it running around 2500 - 3000 RPM she is idling study
but starting going crazy, misfiring and shaking if I push over 3000 and die under 2500.

What would explain this behavior?

Thanks.
Something is definitely off for sure.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by abonano
Something is definitely off for sure.
LOL, don't say, if only you would know what, where and how to fix it.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:00 PM

LOL, don't say, if only you would know what, where and how to fix it.

I would check

PCM
PCM Harness going to PCM
Check for water ingress on the connector for the Throttle Body, another known issue.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:24 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Can't read codes because of this on iCarsoft LRII:

Dashboard:
  • Restricted Performance
  • Parking brakes
  • Air Compressor
Just got compressor kit and relay to rebuild it.

Dude, you are still not right? The fact that your OBD2 reader cant communicate with the ECU further indicates a similar ECU flooding, very likely similar to mine.

I had the EXACT same dashboard warnings (minus the compressor code) and a message from my code reader that it could not communicate with the vehicle Engine Control Module.

It COULD be the harness connection. I thought that was possibly my issue, but once I got the unit out and tipped it, the water running out kind of made the issue obvious

I was only down one day though. Surprised you haven't pulled it to check at minimum. Note that from what I experienced, I wouldn't count on it drying by itself. The amount of water in a semi-sealed unit, would likely take months, and leaving it wet would definitely increase the chances of damage to the PCB. While it's a coated cicuit board, it wont survive a long soaking. I disconnected my battery when this happened to me, and while I haven't sealed the cowl further as the other forum member did, I check that drain by the cabinet air filter like a hawk.

This is not something I want to repeat.

For your suspension compressor, did you get the PTFE piston ring kit? It's an easy install. The worst part is getting the compressor back in place, with all the washers, springs, nuts and isolating parts that hold it in place.

jagxjr (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Blairware
I was only down one day though. Surprised you haven't pulled it to check at minimum.
2 reasons
I order some parts like kit for air compressor and relay, air flow sensor, oxygen sensors etc.
My half priced Jag's back-lane mechanic won't start work at least I have all parts, so we're waiting.

Thanks for your active participation and help

Old 11-19-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Blairware
I was only down one day though. Surprised you haven't pulled it to check at minimum.
2 reasons
I order some parts like kit for air compressor and relay, air flow sensor, oxygen sensors etc.
My half priced Jag's back-lane mechanic won't start work at least I have all parts, so we're waiting.

Thanks for your active participation and help

Quick Reply: Carwash - Killing Machine