XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Charger when using IDS/SDD

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 12:37 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Charger when using IDS/SDD

Hi all,

I have a VCM setup in the mail (coming from Cambo...thumbs up to him for getting everything setup and shipped in a hurry) and it will be here sooner than I expected.

From a quick search, it looks like the dealers use the 55 amp Midtronics PCS-550, which you can get for about $400. I only need a minumum 25-30 amp charger (see attached bulletin), but I'd like to get a minimum 50 amp just so I can use it on newer vehicles if/when we upgrade. These range from $50 and up, but I don't want a piece of junk.

For you mechanics/tech gurus in the states using a VCM/Mongoose or something similar, what kind of charger are you using or do you prefer?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Charger when using IDS/SDD-img_1246.png   Charger when using IDS/SDD-img_1247.png  
The following users liked this post:
Cambo (11-17-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

In Europe, you can't get these Midtronics or alike at a reasonable price.
I purchased a 50 amps stabilised power supply from ebay for less than USD 100, kind of chinese stuff, and I worked out the 3 + and - outputs together to ensure it could deliver up to 50 amps to the battery.
It works OK and I verified that the voltage is stable enough when the VCM was plugged and in operation (can be adjusted with the +V adj screw, I fixed it at 13.4 Volts)
Btw, I also bought my VCM from Cambo, very happy

Attached Thumbnails Charger when using IDS/SDD-50-amps-stab-power-supply.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by paydase:
Cambo (11-17-2016), chillyphilly (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

I use a linear 40 amp variable voltage power supply (1.2v~16v) from my radio shack. (K5DBX) Just about any power supply used in amateur radio service meeting your amp rating will work fine. Almost across the board they are either variable, or fixed 13.8v. You don't want 12.0v, you want 13.8v. Astron, Pyle, Palstar and Pyramid are some of the more notable brands, with Astron as a top pick. You can find them in linear, or switching styles. Linear are the cleanest in DC ripple. Switching will work as well, as they are generally well regulated for radio use. They are both desirable when using/programming with SDD.

The Midtronics unit is a regulated switching power supply, not what many associate to a battery charger, and are the same type of well regulated power suggested above.

Regular battery chargers are not your friend in this arena, as they are unregulated, no output filtering, very high DC ripple and very noisy electronically. Be forewarned, and never program with SDD with a regular battery charger attached to the vehicle.

Last edited by Box; 11-16-2016 at 01:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Box:
chillyphilly (11-16-2016), paydase (12-20-2016), stham (03-21-2018)
Old 11-16-2016, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

K5DBX

GD OM

73s de G4ZOG

Box (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 02:35 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat
K5DBX

GD OM

73s de G4ZOG
73's and you can find me on QRZ!

Partick the Cat (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 03:41 PM

Guess I should've titled the thread "power supply" instead of charger, and placed it in the general tech section. I already have a charger so I don't need that.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, guys. I'm very new at this stuff but would like to learn. I've actually had an itch to get into amateur radio license over the last few years, but it went on the back burner. I guess if I can double it to use for that, it's easier to justify getting something nice.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

I did spend the extra bucks and got the Midtronics:

https://www.amazon.com/Midtronics-PS...ronics+psc-550

I wanted no nasty surprises when using the IDS/SDD on my car, especially during re-flashing. It has worked *very well*.

chillyphilly (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lagonia
I did spend the extra bucks and got the Midtronics:

https://www.amazon.com/Midtronics-PS...ronics+psc-550

I wanted no nasty surprises when using the IDS/SDD on my car, especially during re-flashing. It has worked *very well*.
More times than not, when folks outside the dealer network try using SDD, and find issues or bricked modules, and the first question is "did you use an additional power source on the battery," some say, "yes, they had their battery charger hooked up the whole time..." Then comes the sad sigh... But, there are tons of switching power supplies out there, but what I can do, is vouch for those which I've seen used and serviced for decades. Midtronics are good units. You can pick up a 30 amp continuous/40 amp peak switching Astron SS-30 for about $135. Linear supplies are generally about twice the price since it is transformer based.

Last edited by Box; 11-16-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:00 PM

Paydase, thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the VCM works well. It sounds like you know a good deal more than I do to adjust it to pit out what you need. Methinks buying a power supply box like yours would result in disaster for me. I think I need something with a "For Dummies" booklet attached.

Lagonia, good to see someone using and is happy with the Midtronics. I will definately keep that as an option. This amateur radio PS has me intrigued at the moment.

Box, so the Astron linear power supplies sound like they are in fact the best for amateur radio...or at least used to be. Looking at reviews on "eham" they rate excellent until the last few years. Seems like their quality control has gone downhill. They might still be the "best," but that might not be saying much.

Do you think it'd be better to buy an older, used unit because it might be built better? Wasn't sure if you had personal experience with one.

Last edited by chillyphilly; 11-16-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:39 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
Paydase, thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the VCM works well. It sounds like you know a good deal more than I do to adjust it to pit out what you need. Methinks buying a power supply box like yours would result in disaster for me. I think I need something with a "For Dummies" booklet attached.

Lagonia, good to see someone using and is happy with the Midtronics. I will definately keep that as an option. This amateur radio PS has me intrigued at the moment.

Box, so the Astron linear power supplies sound like they are in fact the best for amateur radio...or at least used to be. Looking at reviews on "eham" they rate excellent until the last few years. Seems like their quality control has gone downhill. They might still be the "best," but that might not be saying much.

Do you think it'd be better to buy an older, used unit because it might be built better? Wasn't sure if you had personal experience with one.
I have a SS-30M (switching style w/meters) that I purchased in 2014 that has worked flawlessly for me. (as a side note, I always disassemble every new purchased item to inspect solder and internal assembly quality, and required no touch up) Linear supplies weigh a ton, due to it's design and the size of the transformer and the switching supply is about as heavy as a heavy duty PC supply. The one dedicated for my XJ is an Alinco DM-340-MW which is a linear style and high quality, but it costs a little more. I think they are about $180 these days. But you won't get 50 amps out of it. At that point, it's just as well to pay the $400 for the Midtronics switching supply.

Just realize, I'm not stating that any of the brands I spoke of earlier are the "Bently's" of supplies. They are simply cost effective solutions that can provide quality power for SDD. If you want to talk the "Cadillac" of supplies at low volt/50 amp grab about 10 grand and we can start talking Hewlett-Packard reference bench supplies. (grin)

Last edited by Box; 11-16-2016 at 06:11 PM.
paydase (12-20-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 06:12 PM

Lol I think that'll do, Box. I don't think I want to spend more on the PS than I did the car. It seems like if you want an Astron linear PS you can pick up a 50+ amp for 350-400, which is about what the Midtronics costs.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Lol I think that'll do, Box. I don't think I want to spend more on the PS than I did the car. It seems like if you want an Astron linear PS you can pick up a 50+ amp for 350-400, which is about what the Midtronics costs.
By the time you get to that current, that's about the price point you will find. At that point I would opt for the Midtronics myself. Paydase's suggestion is also another viable option, and there are ton of companies making switching supplies out there these days. You might ask him where he got his.

I do know Jameco has been around since the 70's and they sell quite a selection of Chinese build from Mean-Well.

http://www.jameco.com/shop/StoreCata...SEARCH%252BNAV

Last edited by Box; 11-16-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:22 PM

Why is that? What would make the Midtronics better?

Last edited by chillyphilly; 11-16-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
Paydase's suggestion is also another viable option, and there are ton of companies making switching supplies out there these days. You might ask him where he got his.
I looked for a while to find out a suitable and cheap enough 12V 50A power supply.
I found this article (in French):
Choix d'une alimentation 12 volts à fort ampérage - Sergent Brico
describing options and looked for something looking like what the guy selected at the end of the doc, which can be found on ebay:
power supply 50A 12v | eBay

chillyphilly (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the article, paydase. I was able to read it with Google translator. It seems pretty easy to put together, actually. How did you check to see if the voltage was stable enough?

Also, you said in your post it works "OK." Is there something about it you don't like about it?

It definately sounds interesting, and it is working with your set up, but the price point makes me wonder how much different the internals may be...?

Old 11-16-2016, 10:05 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Check this supply out on Amazon. I purchased and simply dial in 13.6V on the display. 100a output. I use with my VCM without issue.. I think I paid $280 for it earlier this year. Comes with battery cables and carry case also.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0186...IuL&ref=plSrch

Looks like they raised the price but there are 50a and 75a units available w/o digital display.

Last edited by abonano; 11-16-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the article, paydase. I was able to read it with Google translator. It seems pretty easy to put together, actually. How did you check to see if the voltage was stable enough?

Also, you said in your post it works "OK." Is there something about it you don't like about it?

It definately sounds interesting, and it is working with your set up, but the price point makes me wonder how much different the internals may be...?
I should have said it works fine.
I was saying OK because I don't think that it is top quality stuff, especially if you would look for best instantaneous voltage regulation (that I could not check with e.g. an oscilloscope).
Reading on my digital multimer though showed that the mean voltage was stable during operation at e.g. 13.4 volts (actually you can't see any meaningful variation of more than a few hundredths of volt).
Also I had the opportunity to dismantle the item because the first one I received (then replaced for free) was damaged during shipment and the inside showed that fabrication is not top quality, see kind of wax or insulating material tha was dropped on the board.
But overall, I would say a good item for the price

Attached Thumbnails Charger when using IDS/SDD-ps1.jpg  

Last edited by paydase; 11-17-2016 at 03:56 AM.
chillyphilly (11-17-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts
Old 11-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the link, Sean. I'm working currently in the process of purchasing a used 55 amp unit from a forum member here.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Thanks for the link, Sean. I'm working currently in the process of purchasing a used 55 amp unit from a forum member here.
I should have been more clear. I was asking opinions from the group. Mine is an 07 so I think the 30 amp would suffice, no?