XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

cheaper coilover suspension conversion

Old 02-03-2018, 04:28 AM
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
I'm glad you don't have any of these issues but a lot of times "keep(ing) your air compressor in good condition. Watch(ing) for leaks in the air bags and you have yourself one great driving car." just isn't enough.
+1

For example my air never dropped, yet and can keep height during winter for weeks, but the problem I just wrote above.. strange behavior of the dampers, sometimes its very harsh, sometimes its a true pillow. acceleration sensors? ASU? other problems?.. without ASF warning on dash

Old 02-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Cheaper Coil Over Suspension

My unsolicited .02 re coil over suspension.As an owner of 4 Jags currently, one of which is an 05 VDP I have recently converted to a Strutmaster coil over suspension, I take personal offense to Bob's ignorant rant of those of us who would dare be so blasphemous as to make any significant changes on OUR Jags; and further more, be willing to share our experiences with other owners.
I, speaking totally for myself, don't post on this site or any of the other sites I frequent to receive unsolicited opinions from those who's true automotive related skills don't go beyond their keyboard.
I post to offer any help/experience I might have to others who have so graciously helped me along the way.
Whereas I'm sure many modifications others have made to THEIR cars would not be my choice, I certainly appreciate their efforts and willingness to share their experiences without fear of the feedback from the self ordained Judgment Police.
I couldn't be happier with the conversion; lower stance, slightly sportier ride (very slightly firmer), no nagging warning lights, no front tires consistently worn on the inner edges due to camber changes, and no coming out to find my car so low from assorted various and on going leaks, that I cannot drive it.
Contrary to Bob's ignorant assessment, I would most certainly recommend it (If I was asked for my opinion).
Oh Bob, by the way, I have a 600hp small block Chevy in my 89 XJS. Hope that pleases you.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Welll at least I was man enough to add my name to my quote and I stand by what I said. I also live in a very cold climate which should magnify the air bag problem but after owning four of these cars one of which I still own. I have never suffered with the problems you spring over strut guys all claim to have. But there again I service my cars regularly. Which includes keeping an eye on the condition of the air compressor filter.

For the record....My response mister no name, was in response to the gentleman that asked if he would lose any of the functions if he changed (read mutilated) his suspension. So your childish outrage was totally uncalled for.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Question to ask
are those a good quality ride?
Suncore industries Air to Coil Spring Suspension Conversion Kit for 2004-2009 Jaguar XJR X350 X358 ?

they are riced $650

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-to-Coil...wh1paS8WJ#rwid

Old 10-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I just installed a set of Suncore for a friend Jag. The ride is stiff. I could live with it but the spring raised the Jag 2 to 2.5 inches and it looked ridiculous. Too much spacing between wheel well and tires. Thumbs now. I would not get a set for my Jag. Also, the front shocks were shipped with the top mounts installed in the wrong orientation. I had to buy a spring compress and modified the compress with a longer bolt to compress springs and to rorate top mount 90 degrees. What do you expect from made in China? I have bunch of spare used air shocks as back up. My future plan is to use S-type shock but without drill new holes to the jag shock mount. I will fabricate an adapter to attach to S-type shock so it directly PNP. Used S-type shock is readily for $100.00 per set in junkyard.

attached photo for comparison, Suncore, S-type, and air shock. Noted S-type spring shock and air shock are exactly same height.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/155296361@N02/, on Flickr

Last edited by annamiata; 10-05-2018 at 07:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (02-21-2021)
Old 10-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

If you can't do the time then don't do the crime. I would like to add air spring/shock costs to my savings but they will go on the credit card. I have added rubber lubricant to the top of the front shocks. Nothing has blown up.. yet.
If I can get at them I will do the same to the rear units.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

These suspension discussions are as old as the hills that we drive over while listening to bushings rattle. Many multi-point suspensions age poorly and can be expensive to maintain at 10+ years. I am on my 2nd X350; it rides perfectly at present with stock air suspension, and I have no issues with this cars suspension. Yet. But I will have to deal with it over time, and I know these cars well enough to know what that entails. I can afford to drive an XJ because I do most repairs myself, when I have the resources, and this forum is one of the best resources we have.

CATS behaves differently on the 07 VDP than it did on my 06 XJ8L - There is a precisely timed venting cycle a few minutes after shut down, a timed release in a single burst. On start up it immediately comes up to height from reserve (does not run the pump unless needed), but doesn't slowly rise if you just open the door the way earlier cars do. It does this consistently over almost a year and hundreds of cycles. Among the numerous running changes Jaguar did for 2006, I wonder if the programming was modified. My 06 had the physical X356 changes but did not act the same or appear to be programmed this way.

I am glad there is a more affordable option for people to keep an X350 going, but I remain skeptical about putting the available coil-overs in these cars. I would prefer a more responsive setup - someone else may want something more cushy. Jaguar did okay for with the resources they had at the time, but a user selectable sport setting - perhaps combined with the transmission sport setting would have been nice, One of the best ride setups IMO over Jaguars history was the XJS, that had a buttery smooth ride, but could be sporting indeed for a 5000 pound grand tourer. The early cars had inboard rear disks, the 4-shock IRS and were amazing, if not the easiest to service. The X350 does not reach that bar, and would have benefited with a way to switch between comfort and firm, vs the fully auto system.

Owners need to make choices that make sense for their situation. Rip out the decent, but flawed air suspension, and put in coilovers. Spend whatever it takes to keep the OEM setup (it takes a lot $) or, start drilling, welding and redesigning everything - to each his own. The end product is a direct result of those choices, and I wish everyone well in the quest to enjoy these beautiful cars.

The following users liked this post:
olddavidp (02-20-2022)
Old 10-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

My wife has a S80 which has a competent ride. The Jag is in a class of it own. Perhaps overkill, perhaps a little floaty but this is in comparison to lesser cars. A latter day Citroen DS.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan R
If you can't do the time then don't do the crime. I would like to add air spring/shock costs to my savings but they will go on the credit card. I have added rubber lubricant to the top of the front shocks. Nothing has blown up.. yet.
If I can get at them I will do the same to the rear units.
I am not sure how much that would help, if at all. The leaks I have seen and read about often appear and sound like they are from the top of the shock. This is because the metal canister is only open at the top. I was doing something similar in my previous car when it would leak in cold weather - obviously the hardening of the rubber when cold was an issue. Applying silicone type stuff around the top of the shock, while it won't hurt anything, will not get to all the seals involved. The orange colored bushing we see does not appear to BE an air seal. Sorry to be negative, I just didn't want you to put too much faith in the idea only to be disappointed later. Here's a thread where a guy cuts the air shock open for a cut-away view. VERY enlightening! I learned a lot from seeing what we are dealing with:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...#&gid=1&pid=30

Old 01-26-2020, 05:34 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello! New guy here.
Please, I would like to hear from those who have done an "S type" strut retrofit . Or if you have done research on this let me know your thoughts. I know I would need to grind out the upper mount holes a bit. Also, there is a concern that the S type rear springs may not be properly rated, or a bit short. Finally, I am also aware that I would lose CATS and self leveling when the car is loaded up.
I am planning to refresh my '04 XJR front suspension with new bushings, hubs, etc in an effort to make it drive nice and make my new tires last a long time. But I notice that this "new to me car" has one stock air spring and one retrofit Arnott up in front, so my CATS is not likely to be working properly now anyway.
There is a complete set of '03 S type "R" struts with 65k miles selling locally here for $450. Should I avoid the "R" electric controlled version? Or were the R struts a higher quality to warrant using even if they no signal to respond to?
Or is this just a bad idea? I haven't really decided weather to keep the air springs or not. I get a fault now and then, but overall the factory stuff is holding air.
Thanks in advance .
Dan