XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Check air in spare

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Red face Check air in spare

Had an unpleasant experience when checking the tire pressures in the new to me 07 V D P. Three tires with three different readings. The forth had a steel chrome cap, which was rusted on tight enough to break the stem. Well the original spare had a sensor in it that put the light, and warning message out, in less than half a mile. When the car was restarted after that, the warning yellow light, with check pressure in spare reminder, was given, then goes out after several seconds. Nice feature to remind you, but the sensor was replaced in the tire, the spare put back in the trunk, with the same pressure as the four tires on the car. The issue is, the warning light & warning message still come up, every time the car is started Not really a BIG issue, but does anyone know how to reset things? A solution at the moment, appears to escape me

Old 12-28-2017, 04:44 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

I have been having the exact same issue.
The history.
Had a flat and swapped the original full size spare.
Flat repaired, swapped back, all good no lights or warnings.
2 weeks later, spare check light at start up.
Checked pressure, ok. Increased pressure by 5 as listed in prior posts. No change.
Checked obd reader, all 4 tires reading correct pressure, spare reading 14 psi with 40psi in tire.
I think that using the spare (it was original pirelli never used, ever) put a load on the tps and put it to the test.
It is reading, but only 14psi. and acting as if I had a flat change with the flat in the boot. ("check spare" for the first 20 seconds), then out as the manual says it should.
Do I need have to have a new Jaguar genuine tps, set/programed by the dealer if it is in the spare position?

Old 12-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Mine does that every time it gets cold. Either I pump it up to 40 psi or wait until spring. It's only an annoyance that I can put up with now.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 PM

Ill try 40psi, and see

Old 12-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe i should let the air out, then refill, as mine is already inflated to 40.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:18 PM

Tried that, no joy.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Did you try bringing it inside overnight to warm up, so it thinks winters over?

Old 12-30-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Red face

Was looking at the iCarSoft Rover/Jaguar i930, and it said it clears the air pressure sensor. Would think that they were speaking of the tires air pressure sensor. Well got it ordered for a great price, after a $50 credit for opening a new charge with no fees as well as 3% off Amazon stuff. Hoping it works as well as they say it will, being able to test, turn on & off modules would be a real plus over my Launch reader. With the finding of yet another beautiful used Jaguar, a VP. A better code reader, scanner, closer to a dealer level scanner in its ability's, is an apparent need.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:24 PM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default I930

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Was looking at the iCarSoft Rover/Jaguar i930, and it said it clears the air pressure sensor. Would think that they were speaking of the tires air pressure sensor. Well got it ordered for a great price, after a $50 credit for opening a new charge with no fees as well as 3% off Amazon stuff. Hoping it works as well as they say it will, being able to test, turn on & off modules would be a real plus over my Launch reader. With the finding of yet another beautiful used Jaguar, a VP. A better code reader, scanner, closer to a dealer level scanner in its ability's, is an apparent need.
[SP
​​​​When you get the scanner make sure all functions work in both cars.I got the same scanner and everything worked on my 2004 except for reading the engine codes which are most important.ICarsoft phone support was minimal -it took 3days for them to respond.Luckily the company I ordered it from was very helpful.I tried updating the scanner with no luck so sent it back and got the lr11.Cost a little more but works fine with my car.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

If it will test other than the basic functions of the cheap ones, modules are working or not, and why, etc. it will be a big plus on my launch which will do the basic engine codes,(check engine light) quite well. To be sure i want the new one to do what they claim, everything, on both cars. Will take your advise to see if they have upgraded their unit. How much more for the better scanner, if not? Thanks in advance

Old 12-31-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
If it will test other than the basic functions of the cheap ones, modules are working or not, and why, etc. it will be a big plus on my launch which will do the basic engine codes,(check engine light) quite well. To be sure i want the new one to do what they claim, everything, on both cars. Will take your advise to see if they have upgraded their unit. How much more for the better scanner, if not? Thanks in advance
From the eBay dealer I bought it from the LR11 was about$ 45.00 more than the i930.The dealer said it was unusual that the 930 didn't work on my car but I had read in the forum history that earlier versions did have problems with some vehicles.Hopefully yours works on both cars

Old 12-31-2017, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Will just have to wait to see, as of a few minuets ago it has not yet been shipped, bought it yesterday morning. Looks like seller took the holiday weekend off, good for him. Just another couple of questions, as to how long ago was this, and was your 2004 model, an XJ8? Appreciate your input

Old 12-31-2017, 02:22 PM

Bought it back in Sept. and yes I have a 2004 XJ8.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:50 PM

How did this get high jacked to OBD readers?

Old 01-01-2018, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

iCarSoft Rover/Jaguar i930, To answer your question. Sorry for the inconvenience to you, was seeking information on this particular unit, as i had been looking at its supposed functions of operating modules to check functions, & set parameters.Would like to turn warning to check the spare off.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:58 PM

I used my iCarSoft Rover/Jaguar i930 to check my sensors. No faults/codes noted. It did tell me all the tire pressures in each wheel. That's how I came to the conclusion my spare tire TPMS is reading low/lazy. I still have the "check spare" light come on at start up for about 20 seconds, then shuts off. When this happens the TPMS icon does not light up, just the message for 20 seconds. This did not throw a code to clear with the iCarSoft Rover/Jaguar i930. We'll see after I replace the spare TPMS.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hope your new sensor solves you're issue. Mine is the sensor light never turned on until the spare was used, with the flat in the trunk it was doing what it was supposed to do. With the new sensor installed in the flat, the same spare tire, with the same sensor inside of it, in the trunk same as before, the light still reminds me to fix the tire, when started.No codes, no lights after warning, & yellow light goes out.Worked B4, pressure was never low in the spare, light with warning should not be coming on now, after a spare with air in it was installed back in the trunk.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:30 PM

You have just told my exact story to the tee. I have the exact same situation. My sensor is on the way for my spare. It might just be the case that the original spare (never used) had just enough juice in it to work as the spare, and putting it on the right rear demanded more info and killed what little juice it had left. I'll update after I put the new TPMS in the spare next week.
Has anyone had to have the new (genuine) sensor loaded by the dealer, or will it learn the sensor in the spare position?

Old 01-04-2018, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

That i can not answer. The new sensor in a wheel, took a few miles, less than 10 for sure, to learn, and the light to go out.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:16 PM

Installed new Genuine sensor with no change. Whats strange is that the new spare sensor is reading the same pressure (14 psi) as it did when I installed the flat spare when driving the car to the tire shop to have the right rear repaired. I did drive the car with no spare in the boot for a couple of days while waiting for the rim to be repaired. It's acting like it got locked on the flat pressure. If the battery dies in the TPMS, does the car only remember the last reading, and require the new sensor to be programmed to override the last signal sent? I did have the status of the old sensor confirmed as bad at the shop prior to installing the new sensor. This may end up having the dealer program/learn the new sensor. The Icar does not have that capability. The Icar does read that the sensor voltage is good.
Any thoughts before I spend way to much money at the dealer?
It's really sloppy here with slush, but I may have to find a way to swap spare with another tire (rolling) to see if the issue follows the tire. I suppose I could put the sloppy tire in a bag prior to putting it in the boot.
I did confirm that the repaired tire is reading correctly as right rear as I had a slight bead leak that popped the check rear right when it was low. Aired it up and lost the RR warning right away.
Has anyone replaced a sensor and NOT required programming?

Quick Reply: Check air in spare