XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Coolant flush.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Coolant flush.

Getting ready to flush the coolant in my 04 VanDenplas. The coolant is the same as Dexcool as I have discovered. Are there any special procedures necessary for flushing and removing air?

Eddie

Top Answer

03-14-2010, 07:16 AM
steve11
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes, Dexcool is the correct commercial brand anti-freeze to use. Jaguar switched over to an OAT coolant formula in approimately the 1999 MY, although it varied by 1/2 years with some models. OAT comes with warnings not to mix with other types. In the US, OAT is orange in color and you should find a label on the coolant expansion tank next to the cap that instructs to use orange colored anti freeze.

I can suggest a good and simple process to flush for DIY. In fact, I just did a flush in an 04 this last week this way. The flush is difficult on this car because 50% of the coolant stays in the engine and heater cores. The leftside heater core is especially vulnerable to corrosion that can destroy the core. I do not like to use chemical flushes of any kind with an OAT system. Instead I flush the system with pure distilled water. The system holds 10 1/2 qts of coolant, so to obtain a 50/50 mixture you need 5 qts of undiluted Dexcool, then purchase 4 gallons of distilled bottled water from the grocery store. You will use a drain/refill/drive/drain process to purge the system.

First remove the FRONT undertray (directly under the front bumper) to expose the radiator drain plug on the lefhand side of the radiator. Open the plastic plug, catch coolant in a pan. The plug can be completely removed, or you can just let it extend, it will hold itself in place. Now loosen the expansion tank cover. Also, on the expansion tank you'll find a plastic bleed screw about the size of a dime. loosen it too enough to let air through. Once the drain is completed, (about 5 qts) replace the drain plug, fill the system with pure distilled water. Tighten the bleed screw, replace the cap, start the engine and go for at least a 15 minute drive with the heater in HIGH, High fans. Return and repeat this entire process two more times with distilled water - drain/refill/drive/drain, heater always on high the entire drive.

On the fourth cycle - Drain, close the drain plug, replace the undertray, fill with approx. 5 qts of PURE DEXCOOL. Now drive one last time about 30 minutes with heater on high heat, high fans. Return and with the engine still running, gently open the bleed screw until liquid seeps, tighten screw just until the seeping stops, and you're done. After the car cools completely, check the level in the expansion tank and top off with Dexcool if needed.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:16 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes, Dexcool is the correct commercial brand anti-freeze to use. Jaguar switched over to an OAT coolant formula in approimately the 1999 MY, although it varied by 1/2 years with some models. OAT comes with warnings not to mix with other types. In the US, OAT is orange in color and you should find a label on the coolant expansion tank next to the cap that instructs to use orange colored anti freeze.

I can suggest a good and simple process to flush for DIY. In fact, I just did a flush in an 04 this last week this way. The flush is difficult on this car because 50% of the coolant stays in the engine and heater cores. The leftside heater core is especially vulnerable to corrosion that can destroy the core. I do not like to use chemical flushes of any kind with an OAT system. Instead I flush the system with pure distilled water. The system holds 10 1/2 qts of coolant, so to obtain a 50/50 mixture you need 5 qts of undiluted Dexcool, then purchase 4 gallons of distilled bottled water from the grocery store. You will use a drain/refill/drive/drain process to purge the system.

First remove the FRONT undertray (directly under the front bumper) to expose the radiator drain plug on the lefhand side of the radiator. Open the plastic plug, catch coolant in a pan. The plug can be completely removed, or you can just let it extend, it will hold itself in place. Now loosen the expansion tank cover. Also, on the expansion tank you'll find a plastic bleed screw about the size of a dime. loosen it too enough to let air through. Once the drain is completed, (about 5 qts) replace the drain plug, fill the system with pure distilled water. Tighten the bleed screw, replace the cap, start the engine and go for at least a 15 minute drive with the heater in HIGH, High fans. Return and repeat this entire process two more times with distilled water - drain/refill/drive/drain, heater always on high the entire drive.

On the fourth cycle - Drain, close the drain plug, replace the undertray, fill with approx. 5 qts of PURE DEXCOOL. Now drive one last time about 30 minutes with heater on high heat, high fans. Return and with the engine still running, gently open the bleed screw until liquid seeps, tighten screw just until the seeping stops, and you're done. After the car cools completely, check the level in the expansion tank and top off with Dexcool if needed.

The following 24 users liked this post by steve11:
abonano (06-22-2014), anindyam (07-03-2014), B3am0 (09-04-2016), bentleyguy (10-19-2021), Catenaccio (10-07-2015), chadmc5c (12-24-2012), clivedavies (10-29-2015), cyber3d (06-26-2015), Don B (01-17-2017), EsRay (09-07-2018), gclovaas (07-01-2014), jackra_1 (12-10-2014), JagDaniel (07-15-2014), lcmjaguar (03-10-2014), Markslick (08-06-2020), MrWhite (10-16-2017), Newby (02-09-2012), Quantico (10-28-2015), Ronco1 (04-09-2019), rscultho (05-02-2012), silvertonesx24 (04-12-2022), Sonny Christopher (10-15-2018), Xag (06-24-2014), XK8+XJ8L (05-17-2011) and 19 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks. That's what I needed.

Eddie

Old 08-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you that's geat information here. I thnk the XJ8 super V8 2005 has same kind of fluid and amount of coolant in it?So should use same process?

Old 05-14-2011, 03:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by steve11

GREAT info. Thanks for posting!

The previous owner -- a real blockhead -- used the green antifreeze. Can I flush it myself, or, in order to get rid of ALL the green stuff, should I have it power flushed by a shop?

Thank you,

SirJag

Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I used this method with sucess. Thanks steve11
I also used a wet dry vac on the filler hole to suck a bit more out and this helped by getting more old stuff out with each flush.
I am also not comfortable with using flushing chemicals on the oat systems.
thanks again steve

Old 12-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts
Thumbs up

Don't forget to backflush the Heater Core after the Engine / Radiator is completed (per maint manual). Removes particles that could prevent the heater from working when needed.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve, Great advice. Just used that technique today. Worked like a charm.

Just wanted to say thanks.

Greg

Old 03-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

this method is good for x308 as well?

Old 06-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding air out of cooling system

Steve,

I just used the info in the last paragraph of your post on flush/refill of cooling system, after changing out the entire thermostat housing, and now She's good to go!!!
Thanks,

Jim C

Old 07-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Congratulations!

Expertise and clarity. What a wonderful combination and unfortunately so rare.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default x350 engine flush

Took the cover off, drained the coolant, but I could not get more than 3.0 3.5 quarts of water back in.

Drove the car with heater on, check engine light came on, low coolant light came on, temp did not get past the 1/2 way mark.

Anyone have the same issue? Should I give it another go?

Is the 10 min so the engine heats up enough to open the thermostat and get the clean distilled water in there? If my coolant is low the steam will not open the thermostat correct?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Turn your heater on full blast with the ignition on, but without the engine running and fill the reservoir. The electric pump will run and cycle the coolant through the block and heater cores and with the cap off the reservoir it will work all the air out. Since the engine isn't running generating heat, the system won't boil over. Just keep filling the reservoir as it drops.

After that, cap it and run it up to operating temp. If you do this 3-4 times with distilled water you'll completely flush the whole system. After that, do one last drain and at straight non premixed coolant get your water/coolant mix. It's not perfectly 50/50, but it will be close.

Last edited by Torrid; 10-28-2015 at 06:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EsRay (09-17-2018)
Old 10-29-2015, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Torrid
Turn your heater on full blast with the ignition on, but without the engine running and fill the reservoir. The electric pump will run and cycle the coolant through the block and heater cores and with the cap off the reservoir it will work all the air out. Since the engine isn't running generating heat, the system won't boil over. Just keep filling the reservoir as it drops.
For S/C vehicles also raise the front of the car so the reservoir is the highest point. A set of car ramps is perfect for this job

Also no need to have the heater on full, the aux heater pump runs when the ac/heater fan is on.

S/C aux coolant pump rus wi8th the ign on

Cheers
34by151

Old 10-29-2015, 08:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good info,

I use this same info on my trucks

It can be a bit of a pain as you are continuosly diluting by 50%

Sure does get flushed well though, and the satisfaction of knowing its done well

I did this method in my buddies vette recently
We put the used coolant back in the clear water jugs and could see the progression as the fluid got lighter and lighter it was obviously more and more dilluted

Old 10-29-2015, 02:01 PM

Thanks all for taking the time. On a side note, once I took off the res cap AND the screw the water and later coolant went down quickly when I was refilling.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Used this method on a X308

Awesome tutorial. There is no bleed valve on the expansion tank. My Jaguar is a 2000 4.0 N/A. I didn't even have to lift the car!

Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all. I understand this is an old thread, but flushing the cooling system is timeless and always applicable. Do Jaguar blocks not have coolant drain points/bolts?

Old 09-05-2018, 12:28 PM

TwoCalibers: Thanks for the referral. I have the thermostat out. I was hoping there was an easier way to flush and backflush when the thermostat is out. Does anyone have a flush protocol for that? Thanks,

Old 09-06-2018, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by TwoCalibers
Hi all. I understand this is an old thread, but flushing the cooling system is timeless and always applicable. Do Jaguar blocks not have coolant drain points/bolts?

Blocks? If you mean the radiator yes there is a coolant drain plug at the bottom left.

2007 XJ8 X350

Quick Reply: Coolant flush.