XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

A fix for error message "Cannot apply Park brake"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default A fix for error message "Cannot apply Park brake"

A fix for error message “Cannot Apply Park Brake”

Once again I let my battery go dead on my 2007 XJ8 Vanden Plas and as a result I got two error messages on the instrument center. The first message had to do with the Cruise Control not working and the second said “Cannot Apply Park Brake”. I managed to get rid of the Cruise Control error with diagnostic program which interfaced through the OBD2 port. The second having to do with the Parking Brake did not get fixed.

I took my car this morning to my local repair shop which deals with foreign and exotic cars. Their name is Circle & Square located in Port Hadlock, Washington, USA. I mentioned to Michael Pappas, the Service Advisor, that there were several folks with the Jaguar Forum who had similar problems. I was taken back to meet the mechanic that specializes in Jaguars and Land Rovers. I told the mechanic, James Whiteside, that I would like to know if there is a simple solution for fixing this error message. I mentioned that the Jaguar group had several members with the same problem. I ended up leaving the car and when I picked it up I spoke with James and he told me there isn’t a procedure to reset the message via the computer but rather there was a physical procedure to follow. He then handed me his step by step procedure which he said I could post in the Jaguar Forum.

It goes like this:

To reset the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) module:

1a) Switch off the ignition
b) Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds
c) Reconnect the battery

2) Start the engine
3) Firmly apply and release the footbrake five times
4) Confirm that the message “NOT CALIBRATED” or “APPLY FOOT AND
PARK BRAKE” is displayed on the instrument cluster message center.
This indicates that the parking brake is in calibration
mode
5) Lightly press the footbrake pedal
6) While holding down on the footbrake pedal, apply the parking brake
by using the EPB switch
7) Release the parking brake switch
8) Release the footbrake
9) Confirm that the brake warning lamp is no longer illuminated on the
instrument pack and that the “NOT CALIBRATED” message is no
longer displayed in the message center.
10) Apply and release the EPB five times to ensure no error is present.

Well, I want to thank both Michael and James for this procedure. I’m sending
you both a link to this posting as recognition of your contribution.
Thanks again.

The following 12 users liked this post by danveenstra:
clivedavies (02-11-2015), Colm O (11-12-2020), Craig Harris (01-25-2020), Don B (02-11-2015), I Ain't Old (04-09-2021), JimC64 (02-10-2015), macadaim (10-29-2022), meirion1 (02-11-2015), Rancheroguy (11-18-2019), rosskuhns (02-11-2015), SeymoureL (04-09-2021), WParsons (10-02-2022) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Same exact thing happened to me when my battery decided it was no good anymore the otherday. After a new battery and discharge procedure that warning was still there and my brake wasnt working. Eventually after fiddling with things it reset itself. No idea what I did....THIS WOULD HAVE HELPED TREMENDOUSLY!

The following 2 users liked this post by XxSlowpokexX:
danveenstra (02-12-2015), SeymoureL (04-09-2021)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Didn't work for me

That procedure used to work on my Jaguar XK, but this time it's not working. Does anyone have any other ideas that I can try?

Old 08-15-2018, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
Same exact thing happened to me when my battery decided it was no good anymore the otherday. After a new battery and discharge procedure that warning was still there and my brake wasnt working. Eventually after fiddling with things it reset itself. No idea what I did....THIS WOULD HAVE HELPED TREMENDOUSLY!
​​​​​​It's on Page 124 of the Owner's Handbook !

The following 2 users liked this post by Partick the Cat:
Don B (12-20-2019), SeymoureL (04-09-2021)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:57 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Hayes
That procedure used to work on my Jaguar XK, but this time it's not working. Does anyone have any other ideas that I can try?
A new good battery. poor voltage is the NUMBER 1 issue for this fault. Past that rear pads and rotors to thin which makes the cable reach go out of range and wil not set. All this is of course that you can hear the parking brake motor actually trying to set. if not then motor is usually failed

Old 08-16-2018, 12:03 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info , I just went and got my battery charged, and will be installing it tomorrow. I don't hear anything phenom engaging the park brakes.i will let y'all know if I still have this issue after tomorrow..

Old 10-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Default Can not apply park brake

Mine is a XK convertible 2008
I am grateful as the recalibrate steps offered here worked like magic. I had to pay my mechanic 75.00 but it’s lot better than replacing the E brake module which the previous mechanic said I had to do
jahuar forum sure helped me out and I’m grateful.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:58 PM
Default Help meee please

I purchased a 2009 Jag XF Supercharge and the rest will not work... this beeping noise is annoying as it only stops when the car is stopped... Any other suggestions on what to do?

Originally Posted by danveenstra

Once again I let my battery go dead on my 2007 XJ8 Vanden Plas and as a result I got two error messages on the instrument center. The first message had to do with the Cruise Control not working and the second said “Cannot Apply Park Brake”. I managed to get rid of the Cruise Control error with diagnostic program which interfaced through the OBD2 port. The second having to do with the Parking Brake did not get fixed.

I took my car this morning to my local repair shop which deals with foreign and exotic cars. Their name is Circle & Square located in Port Hadlock, Washington, USA. I mentioned to Michael Pappas, the Service Advisor, that there were several folks with the Jaguar Forum who had similar problems. I was taken back to meet the mechanic that specializes in Jaguars and Land Rovers. I told the mechanic, James Whiteside, that I would like to know if there is a simple solution for fixing this error message. I mentioned that the Jaguar group had several members with the same problem. I ended up leaving the car and when I picked it up I spoke with James and he told me there isn’t a procedure to reset the message via the computer but rather there was a physical procedure to follow. He then handed me his step by step procedure which he said I could post in the Jaguar Forum.

It goes like this:

c) Reconnect the battery

2) Start the engine
mode
by using the EPB switch
8) Release the footbrake

Thanks again.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

You would be better off posting in the XF sub-forum which is at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/

This sub-forum is for the XJ (2003-'09).

Old 12-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This worked after leaving my parking lights on all night. Car cranked up but had this message.
Thanks !

Old 08-19-2020, 07:19 AM
Default Disconnecting the Battery

I came across this post searching for a remedy for my friends 2015 Jaguar XF. Are there any complications that can arise from disconnecting the battery such as security codes for the radio or requiring some dealer diagnostic computer to reset things? I no nothing about this beautiful car and I’m trying to avoid opening a can of worms.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry but what you've found here is posts by people who posted in the wrong subforum. This subforum is for the XJ 2003-2009 (ie X350/358).

The subforum for the XF is https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/

Old 04-09-2021, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danveenstra

It goes like this:

c) Reconnect the battery

2) Start the engine
mode
by using the EPB switch
8) Release the footbrake

Thanks again.
I tried this today to fix this problem on my 2007 Vanden Plas and it worked exactly like Dan, Michael and James said it would. So happy I didn't have to leave it at the dealer and run up a probably few to several hundred dollar bill.

It also cause me to check the battery in the trunk for fluid level. It was way down, so I filled with distilled water. We've had this car since 2010. I don't remember ever buying a new battery. Is it possible this is the original?

The following users liked this post:
SeymoureL (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 04:59 PM
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat
​​​​​​It's on Page 124 of the Owner's Handbook !
for the solution offered to “ cannot apply parking break “ error message. This forum has been a lifesaver for me and I’m grateful to all who helped. Although I find the site difficult to use and not user friendly, I love it all the same.
I had a 2007 XK with 167k miles on original engine. Sold it over 3 years ago and it’s still going strong according to the owner after me. Now I’m looking for another one 2007, 08 or09 only as I hate the dial shifter they introduced in 2010. Since I want only one color it’s been hard to find. I will keep looking. 😊 thank you to Jaguar Forum and all the nice folks worldwide who help 👍🏼🙏🏻

Old 11-27-2022, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is obviously a thread that just keeps on giving. Worked for me!