XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Height Sensor SDD Attempt

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Height Sensor SDD Attempt

Hello everyone,

I have another one for ya. I recently installed 2 new Arnott springs (front driver, rear passenger, other 2 are already new) and a new suspension compressor. While I was at it I installed a new passenger side rear control arm as well. When I removed the jack stand the car sat a little higher at the rear passenger side. Since we had a major storm Sunday i didn't get to look at calibrating it, but drove around all day no problems. Went to work Monday morning no problem, went to lunch no problem. Then On my way back to work from lunch the rear lifted all way up. I quickly pulled back home disconnected the battery and disconnected all the lines at the solenoid valve block and touched the battery leads together for 1 minute. Bolted everything back up then drove to work at normal height. That evening on the way home the rear started rising again. Quickly pulled over and pulled all CATs leads to each strut to prevent further rises.

Finally I get home and plug in SDD. Type in the VIN to collect data. Unfortunately SDD can't communicate with Air Suspension Module or any of the 1st row of modules.
Even went to Service Functions and Set Ride Height Cailbration and received the software errors below. The 4-8202 the first few times then the 4-8197 thereafter. Battery is no more than 1 year old, proper EXIDE brand and spec.

Gave up with SDD for the night. Manually discharged the system again, touched battery leads again. Once the car raised again to normal levels I removed the Compressor Relay to prevent the rear from lifting up. Driving around today at normal ride height just without the compressor relay until I figure what's really going on; assuming defunct height sensor.
I have managed to use SDD previously on my car but only used it to program passenger side mirror dip on reverse and global closing. Been reading through several SDD threads on here as well.

I even gave up and called the local independent Jag Shop to see about height calibration. Long story short guy on the phone says to just switch over to coilovers and that I should have never messed with it. He may have time to look at it in a week. LOL, no thanks!

My questions are:

1. Why can't SSD communicate with any of the 1st row modules? i.e. ecm, asm etc.
  2. Is it because I did not connect a power supply?
  3. Do I really need a power supply connected for ride height calibration even thought it should be a quick 10 minute process?
  4. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on height sensors, in case I have a bad one?
  5. Anyone has had or know what these SDD error codes mean?
Thanks again everybody, it's always something.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:26 PM
wwr
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

BlackKat;

Out of curiosity did your XJR get drenched in the storm? It may be unrelated but there is a separate thread where Tim Morgan in Wisconsin experienced erratic height issues after having water puddling in the trunk. The dealer was unable to communicate with the ASM and there were some other communication problems. After some time sitting in warmer temperatures is looks like the height issues may have resolved themselves. No word from Tim yet if ASM communication is restored. I'm wondering if perhaps water got where it shouldn't be and is interrupting communications.

I had two XJ's sit through the storms (north of Dallas) and they seems to be dry and working fine.

Best Regards, William

Old 06-11-2019, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the reply WWR. Fortunately it did not get drenched during the storm and it stays in a parking garage at an apartment building.
This started Saturday before the big Dallas storm on Sunday.
When I did unplug the solenoid valve block connections last night I did pull the electrical connectors to it and were clean and dry. Rest of the trunk electrics are clean and dry as well.
Side note I did drive around town after the storm since the sun came out, nothing but down trees, construction site fences blown all over the place and of course the fallen crane from the news. My gym finally got power back on today. Glad to hear your jags survived.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello all,
My height on the XJR went back down to the lowest it has every been. I have checked the ground points, the compressor is working and according to the dealer is "sounding great."
My issue is a failure to communicate as the dealer put it. There are no codes or warnings on my dash which I would have thought there would be by now.
I have checked the connections and no hissing/leaking sounds. So I am leaning towards replacing all of the suspension with coil overs. This is not a daily driver as I only put about 4000 miles a year on it and only during the summer months.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Hello everyone,

I have another one for ya. I recently installed 2 new Arnott springs (front driver, rear passenger, other 2 are already new) and a new suspension compressor. While I was at it I installed a new passenger side rear control arm as well. When I removed the jack stand the car sat a little higher at the rear passenger side. Since we had a major storm Sunday i didn't get to look at calibrating it, but drove around all day no problems. Went to work Monday morning no problem, went to lunch no problem. Then On my way back to work from lunch the rear lifted all way up. I quickly pulled back home disconnected the battery and disconnected all the lines at the solenoid valve block and touched the battery leads together for 1 minute. Bolted everything back up then drove to work at normal height. That evening on the way home the rear started rising again. Quickly pulled over and pulled all CATs leads to each strut to prevent further rises.

Finally I get home and plug in SDD. Type in the VIN to collect data. Unfortunately SDD can't communicate with Air Suspension Module or any of the 1st row of modules.
Even went to Service Functions and Set Ride Height Cailbration and received the software errors below. The 4-8202 the first few times then the 4-8197 thereafter. Battery is no more than 1 year old, proper EXIDE brand and spec.

Gave up with SDD for the night. Manually discharged the system again, touched battery leads again. Once the car raised again to normal levels I removed the Compressor Relay to prevent the rear from lifting up. Driving around today at normal ride height just without the compressor relay until I figure what's really going on; assuming defunct height sensor.
I have managed to use SDD previously on my car but only used it to program passenger side mirror dip on reverse and global closing. Been reading through several SDD threads on here as well.

I even gave up and called the local independent Jag Shop to see about height calibration. Long story short guy on the phone says to just switch over to coilovers and that I should have never messed with it. He may have time to look at it in a week. LOL, no thanks!

My questions are:

1. Why can't SSD communicate with any of the 1st row modules? i.e. ecm, asm etc.
  2. Is it because I did not connect a power supply?
  3. Do I really need a power supply connected for ride height calibration even thought it should be a quick 10 minute process?
  4. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on height sensors, in case I have a bad one?
  5. Anyone has had or know what these SDD error codes mean?
Thanks again everybody, it's always something.

. Power supply,yes...a battery charger with 25 to 40 amps is what I use....the error codes are referring to sdd itself I believe.....could be corrupt.....what version are you using.....130, 131 and 145 seem to work the best for me....last possibility is your vci cable being wonky

Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

I gave up on SDD a few years ago but I believe that you only need a power supply when programming.

If you need a part for the Jag try googling this for example:

jaguar x350 height sensor for sale used.

There is one in Florida at this moment! lol

Old 06-28-2020, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

No the car must be over 12.6 VDC. He has a RED battery indicator on his SDD.
NEVER operate the SDD in this condition. You will get all kinds of strange stuff.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:31 PM

Sorry for the delay everyone. Turns out it was a bad clone mongoose. Ordered another cheap clone and managed to calibrate height. I replaced 2 height sensors, new from SNG Barratt.