XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Hello everyone, New member in need of help for my 2006 xj portfolio

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello everyone, New member in need of help for my 2006 xj portfolio

Last month I purchased my dream car: 2006 XJ Super V8 Portfolio
I took a chance a bought it blindly trusting the seller. He swore that the car was in perfect condition except the abs light on, spoke to the service department manager where the car was being serviced and he confirmed that the car, body, interior and mechanics were excellent and he confirmed that the only issue was the abs light on and that they were not able to fix it, but it was not an issue as the abs system worked perfectly....
Unfortunately when the car arrived it was far worst the described and from the video or pictures...
The dashboard lights besides abs are traction control and air bag.
Tried to get it to pass smog emissions but it constantly failed, was told to drive it in city and highways as it had been reseted. Sure enough on the freeway the car reduced performance light came on, then the engine light came on... wanted to cry.. Brought it to a local Jag mechanic and the bill is astronomical ):
Car is still in the shop, mechanic says that the engine light in caused by cooling system of supercharger and suggested purchasing the ABS module from a junk yard ( for $550) as new ones are 4000 or more, agreed. Part arrived and was wrong as mechanic realized that my model has adaptive cruise control. He said that the only ABS module that would work on my car is from the same year Portfolio only (???) Know that the adaptive cruise control was also an option on XJR and super v8 of the same years. If someone can confirm that they are the same I would appreciate it very much.
Look forward to partecipate and become part of this great community

Old 06-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Received 4,437 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Welcome to the forum mate.

First thing I would do is google the full VIN number. As you might know there were only 145x 2006 Portfolio's delivered to the US and a number of them have been through this forum in one way or another.

Regarding the ABS module yes there are different versions for adaptive or non-adaptive cruise. Plus there are actually three different versions over the VIN range of the 2006MY so really need to have your VIN to identify which one is needed.

Just the last six digits of your VIN is fine, starting with G or H.

I'm afraid you will really need someone with the factory diagnostic computers to diagnose and reprogram here. There is a calibration procedure for when the ABS module is replaced as it also manages the traction control and dynamic stability control. Does your workshop have IDS or SDD?

The ABS/TRAC faults could be something simple as a wheel speed sensor so don't jump in and buy a module just yet, what Diagnostic Trouble Codes are showing?

What codes for the Airbag system?

Old 06-03-2016, 08:13 PM

Cambo, thank you very much for your time and care in my cause.
The mechanic where the car is now is a Jag professional and has all the IDS and SDD.
He read some of the codes to me before removing the ABS and after, but I didn't write them down. The first time he said it was a software malfunction, that's why the whole unit had to be replaced. He also mentioned that the previous owner/mechanic had tried to fix it with an ECU but issue was not solved.
I appreciate you confirming the fact that there are different ABS modules for the same year model. Crossing my fingers that the unit the mechanic found is the right one.
Will keep you updated on the progress.

Best
N

Old 06-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Where are you taking your car for service?

Old 06-04-2016, 05:12 PM

The car is at Mitchell's British Automotive

Old 06-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, I brought by Super V8 to Mitchell's a few months ago for what ended up being a fuse box replacement (I thought it would be a Throttle Body at first), and they were great. They explained everything to me in detail, and they got the new fuse box into the shop in a day. They also offered to get a used one from a salvage yard for a bit less, but I opted for the new one.

Good luck with your car, if I see you around town I'll wave. (I'm in a Jaguar Racing Green SV8).