XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright Dudes, possible XK8 purchase Part Deux, I need part pricing ball parkish.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright Dudes, possible XK8 purchase Part Deux, I need part pricing ball parkish.

So first off thank you for the info on what I should look for on the xk8 i looked at.

First the good: First off it was built in Sept 01 so per another post the tensioners are good. She also had the latch hydraulic line repaired. It has clean carfax, no wrecks reported body is straight, few minor scratches. Tires have a year left on them. Stereo worked fine, no lighting issues, leather showed minor wear but nothing abismal. AC was ice cold and climate worked.
Tranny shifted through five fine, engine fired right up and no uneven idle or pauses.

power top works up and down be it a bit slow. What does it take to Flush?

Now the bad: Mechanically: The airbag light is on and blinks when the car is started. She claims it is a faulty clip in the door and a shop can reset. Anyone know anything about this?

I noticed the front end had some wobble to the steering wheel. May be wheels off balance, maybe suspension bushings. Tracked straight but bit bumpy.

Headrests and steering wheel adjustments are shot or not moving as supposed. Costs and how big a fuhk is this to fix?

Chrome 18s showing their age. Any way to de-chrome and powder coat?

And finally lack of maintence records. She has owned for the last few years and it appears only oil changes have been done. I take this to believe I need to Change oil, power steering, brake fluid, diff fluid, tranny fluid, and the coolant. Maybe the plugs? What are costs on supplies for this venture?

My thoughts to conclude:
I liked the car, it drove beastly, looked fuhking hot, and the cool factor is through the roof. I am thinking of taking it to a local Jag shop in town having a pre-purchase done on the car and then getting the car for a song. If she wont budge then I will have to walk.

I know this was a bit of reading but you dudes rock giant donkey ***** for all of your help. Now any thoughts and price ideas for parts would be appreciated. Have a good one

Cheers

Moltenburn

Old 05-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

So, it's a 2001, and you know the tensioners are good based on what? Sounds like some front end work is due for sure.

I just read your first post. You need to have a GOOD Jag tech look at this car beofre you do anything else. Even $10,500 is a bust if you have to put another $4-5-6-7000 into it.

Last edited by oldjaglover; 05-09-2012 at 03:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Moltenburn (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If at all possible move up to the 4.2

The following users liked this post:
Moltenburn (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is a 2002 with a build date of Sept 2001. I was informed the tensioners from this date on were the metal variety.

If I decide to bite the next stop will be a Jag tech in town. Anyone with any pricing info on supplies for the fluid swaps, would be appreciated.

Last edited by Norri; 05-09-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: content
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Not a lot what can go wrong.
If the price is right, go for it

Old 05-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Moltenburn
The car is a 2002 with a build date of Sept 2001. I was informed the tensioners from this date on were the metal variety.

If I decide to bite the next stop will be a Jag tech in town. Anyone with any pricing info on supplies for the fluid swaps, would be appreciated.
If my understanding is correct, it the manufacture date of the engine that is important. You should find a dealer who can run your VIN. From that, you can determine when the engine was manufactured.

From the forum sticky:

Originally Posted by test point : The engine serial number encodes the date the engine came off the engine assembly line. The conversion to metal tensioners occurred on August 13, 2001, thus a serial number of 010813xxxx (YYMMDDHHMM). There is no direct correlation between the engine serial number (date of engine assembly) and the VIN although a dealer can provide the engine number from the VIN.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

power top works up and down be it a bit slow. What does it take to Flush?
A flush should not be needed. The 2002 fluid has an unlimited life. Check the level, and that the petcock on the pump is fully clockwise. If all is good, that is as fast as is goes (these tops typically take 25 seconds (+/-)

Now the bad: Mechanically: The airbag light is on and blinks when the car is started. She claims it is a faulty clip in the door and a shop can reset. Anyone know anything about this?
The blinks are actually a two digit fault code, which repeats a few times after a start. Count the blinks in two groups and post here what it is. She does not know what she is talking about regarding the 'clip'.

I noticed the front end had some wobble to the steering wheel. May be wheels off balance, maybe suspension bushings. Tracked straight but bit bumpy.
These car's wheels need to be balanced on a Hunter Roadforce machine, The wide wheels can also have dents on the inner rim which usually can be repaired but will play havoc with the balance. Start here before doing extensive front end work.

Headrests and steering wheel adjustments are shot or not moving as supposed. Costs and how big a fuhk is this to fix?
Search the forum. Common problems with DIY solutions to save a lot of money. Even a video for the headrest fix.

Chrome 18s showing their age. Any way to de-chrome and powder coat?
Consider a chrome wheel exchange program on ebay:
jaguar wheel exchange | eBay

Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I did not see any reference to miles. That is the price determination factor.

By '02 Jaguar had most of the chronic issues fixed.

There is a airbag fault code list around, probably in the FAQ sticky, but I seem to remember that most focus on seat belt wiring issues.

Headrest is easy and cheap. Tilt steering wheel is not difficult, reach is more difficult requiring a steering column replacement at a dealer. Repairable DIY but a PITA.

If you are willing to DIY these are wonderful cars to own. If you must take them to a dealer or even an indy they can be a real money pit. These cars are best owned by hobby mechanics.