XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Help getting my Jag moving

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help getting my Jag moving

Hi! Thanks for checking out my post! I'm having some issues. I really like jaguars, so I bought a salvaged title 2004 XJ8 (automatic) to fix up. I know I know.... Please dont leave yet! XD

So I cant say much about the car besides it ran over something on the passenger (right) side, It scratched up the front passenger rim pretty good, and hit the back passenger wheel to the point of cracking it! and the back suspension (control arms and all that) looks like it took a pretty big bump with all the ball joints being blown, basically all around the car. also the dash light says car to low. Its not starting, and I cant push the car in neutral, for some reason. The frame is good though and body parts aren't even damaged. Only thing I can really smile about at the moment.

Here's the issue's main issue though-

- The brakes are clamped to the rotors, and the brake pedal seems fully depressed to the point where I don't have to touch the brake and I can cycle through the automatic shift-er. I don't know if that's normal for this jag but that's what happens. I Also dont know if the brakes are supposed to release only if the car is running (some anti theft system?) or if they are seized to the rotors? The parking brake light stays on when I put the key in the ignition with ACC on ( I cant start the car yet) (That's project 2 when I can push the car into the carport). I have been able to turn off the parking brake, but i hear a motor struggling when it does and then the light turns off. However after jacking up the car It doesn't even make that motor sound anymore or turn off the light. Thats about all i know for the moment. Any suggestions on how to get the brakes disengaged to be able to push the car?

Last edited by GGG; 01-30-2018 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Emphasise Model & Year
Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

So just to clarify - this vehicle hasn't been in any floods, just damaged from being on the road?

If no flood damage - lets start with basics. Whats the condition of the battery? Make sure its fully charged, and if you keep turning ignition on, etc. make sure you have a charger on it. Positive connected to battery, negative connected to spare wheel fastening stud, or on the negative battery cable near where it connects to the body.

As for the brakes - its normal for the brake pads to sometimes get stuck to the rotors when sitting for a few days without moving. The brake pedal - is it pressed all the way down, or fully depressed as in its all the way up as it should be when not applying brakes? If its depressed ( not applying brakes ), then most likely the pads are just stuck to the rotors, may need another vehicle to pull to release. If its pressed all the way down, what happens if you try to manually pull the pedal up?

Shifter - assuming its lighting up the correct gears in respect to the shifter position, as above, pads may be stuck to rotors. Might need another vehicle with tow strap or rope attached to towing eye, and see if it moves.

Check battery first - make sure its charged, and see what happens. Report back what you find. Do you have a way of checking codes?

The following users liked this post:
B-rad (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 07:58 PM

Also, does the car even crank?

The following users liked this post:
B-rad (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks JBzXJ40 For the response!!

I just figured out the brakes/neutral thing. I forgot to mention I pressed the valet button while only having an after market valet key that doesn't open the trunk, and everything locked out. I just broke into the trunk lid though and got the light to turn on to get out of valet mode after a little drilling and hammering! Yikes!!! But I did the usual methods of getting ready to push, I felt the transmission go into gear, and I was able to push it in neutral. Apparently jaguar doesn't want your valet attendant pushing the car. So I guess it was a security issue after all. The car is wicked heavy though and I need some help getting it into the carport now. Any volunteers? XD

To answer your question though:
Yep no flood damage, just suspension and air ride damage, (Engine and transsmission TBD)
The battery is in good condition from mid 2017, windows and electronics show no sign of being dead, but could probably use a good charge after all the in and out movement.
The brake pedal was down pretty far but has a little more play after turning off valet mode, Pads are also low so might be why the pedal is so low, Pulling up on the pedal does not move it.
I don't have a code reader but ill get one tomorrow.
Also its a no crank no start

But as for the no start thing I can try to get the battery charged but it seems pretty good. Im not hearing anything when i turn the key, the security light blinks once pauses then five times, I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't stop that with the key in the ignition. I think its electrical, no starter sounds, and no relays clicking. I dont even know where the starter relay is. I'm thinking behind the glove box, but I cant find anything on that. Ill have to get the car into the carport though and get a code reader, and a multi meter on it before I know some more. Thanks for the advice!!

Last edited by B-rad; 01-29-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by B-rad
Hi! Thanks for checking out my post! I'm having some issues. .....
Welcome to the forum B-rad,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X350 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Graham

Old 01-30-2018, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by B-rad
But as for the no start thing I can try to get the battery charged but it seems pretty good. Im not hearing anything when i turn the key, the security light blinks once pauses then five times, I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't stop that with the key in the ignition. I think its electrical, no starter sounds, and no relays clicking. I dont even know where the starter relay is. I'm thinking behind the glove box, but I cant find anything on that. Ill have to get the car into the carport though and get a code reader, and a multi meter on it before I know some more. Thanks for the advice!!
This almost sounds like you have a key that's not programmed to the car properly.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:15 PM

Since you say you have an aftermarket valet key, as XJ8JR stated, this needs to be sorted first.

Is the valet key the only key you have? If so, you may need to get another key, or possibly 2, and have them programmed to the vehicle first. See attachment, PATS flash code 15, this will be why no crank no start. Sort this out first and you should be able to get it started or cranking at least, then we can move from there.

Attached Thumbnails Help getting my Jag moving-patsflashcode.png  
Old 01-31-2018, 02:08 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

The brake pedal position is adjustable electrically. On the LH side of the column shroud is a small knob that adjusts the steering wheel and brake pedal position. Have a play, it may just be set all the way down.