XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How to clear tire pressure warning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 03:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to clear tire pressure warning?

This morning I got a tire icon in the dash and a warning on the speed window that said my front right tire was low. I checked and it was perfect at 30# so the warning was false. What I can't figure out is how to clear the warnings. The manual says once I have gotten the pressure in the tire right it will go away, but the pressure is right and the warning is wrong. It says to take it to a Jag dealer to get cleared, but does someone know how I can do that on my own?

Old 05-22-2018, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,180 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by wmlaven
This morning I got a tire icon in the dash and a warning on the speed window that said my front right tire was low. I checked and it was perfect at 30# so the warning was false. What I can't figure out is how to clear the warnings. The manual says once I have gotten the pressure in the tire right it will go away, but the pressure is right and the warning is wrong. It says to take it to a Jag dealer to get cleared, but does someone know how I can do that on my own?
Hi wmlaven. You don't say what year and make you have in your post. TPMS usually have a 7 year life span and anything longer is gravy. They can malfunction after that.

One trick you can try is to overinflated the tire to 35psi. See if the light goes away per the duration noted in the owners manual. If it does, slowly over time, let 1 psi out per day and see if it stays off.

Typically you need SDD software to reset TPMS via tools. i don't know if any of the non Jag approved scanners do it (iCarsoft or Foxwell). Alternatively you can buy a TPMS reset tool on eBay. Again, though, given the age of the car and if it's an original TPMS module, it's probably at the end of it's life.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Oops, sorry for forgetting that info. 2007 XJ8 VDP so they are past their 7 year lifespan. I was going to try what you suggested - over-inflate and then let pressure out slowly - but wanted to know how to erase the warnings in case that didn't work?

Are new TPMS modules easily available and replaceable? If so, any suggestions for a good source?

Old 05-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,180 Likes on 2,343 Posts

VDO is OEM I believe. They are affordable and you can buy them on Amazon. My local tire sop charged $10 per wheel for labor to install them. These fit your vehicle:

Amazon Amazon

You need the software tools I indicated in my first post to clear the codes but they will immediately return if the problem hasn't been corrected either by over inflating (possible fix) or replacement. Also, some guys want to disable them but that can't be done in the U.S. under Federal law so no dealer will disable them for you.

Last edited by Sean W; 05-22-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:47 PM

I just called my tire guy and he said he'd clear the code for free. I'll over-inflate then let pressure out first to see if that clears the warning and if it returns and this becomes a persistent problem will get them all replaced. Thanks for all the info.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

I think you're misunderstanding what code the manual is referring to.

If your tire pressure is low, and you inflate it to the correct pressure, the TPM indicator will go off as soon as the system detect the higher pressure (usually have to drive a few feet for this to happen).

What you have is a TPMS telling you the tire pressure is low, but you've verified the tire is correctly inflated. Therefore either the TPMS has gone bad (in the valve stem of the tire), or there's another issue with the TPM system. It is fairly common to have the tire sensor go bad as the batteries wear out. I would agree with having a tire shop change the offending sensor and see if that resolves your issue.

If not, you need Jaguar SDD to pull the codes and see what issue the system is flagging. There are receiver antennas at every wheel, or it could be something else entirely.

The following users liked this post:
wmlaven (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:09 AM

Thanks, mhamilton, for that explanation. I'll start tracking down what's what.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:32 PM

Yikes, I'm such a dolt!! Got in the car today to realize that the TPMS warning wasn't for my left front tire, but left rear tire!! It was low, I filled it and the warning is gone. Well, I'm still glad to have all the great info folks shared so if the TPMS does go wonky in the future, I know what to do. Now I need reading lessons...