XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

I am SO Squeaky today!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Default I am SO Squeaky today!!

Meh.

MEEEH.

I had to drive like 500mi yesterday to go get fitted for my buddies wedding. Just so happened that the entire time it rained like a hurricane.

Today was so gorgeous! Just a nice day to own a Jaguar, a Jaguar that doesn't squeak!!!!!

My rear bushings are going bad, I have known that, no handling issues or noise problems.. Until today. Guess the long drive put another nail in the coffin.

SO!

Lower Rear Inner arm bushes. Screw the OEM ones. Matter of fact, screw anything OEM suspension wise on these cars. I said it.

Powerflex. Powerful Powerflex.

On the USA site they have XJR Bushings under the S type model, part numbers to match the UK site are as follows:

note that the UK site has two types of bushings for bushing "12".....

"The rear lower arm outer bush (position 12) can use either PFR27-612 which is 58mm long or PFR27-611 which is 54mm long, please measure the original bush to order the correct bush"

The reason I post--->

Which one do I have??

Don't have me out here squeaking.

I will call them in the AM if you guys are too slow.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:06 PM
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,423 Posts

I put Polybushes in mine;

Front upper wishbone bushes (2x per side)
Rear Lower & Rear Upper arms two per side
(whichever ones were the rubber bushes, not the spherical joints)

They squeak/groan in a very annoying way.

Initially it was only the front upper bushes that groaned, very loudly, a regular dose of PTFE spray sorted them out & they are quiet, for a few months and then they start again.

The rears make a less loud groan when traversing over speed humps. I have sprayed them several times but the noise does not go away.

If I had my time again I would not go to poly. The noise ruins the car.

Just my

Old 03-15-2015, 10:15 PM

See I had read that.

I was actually hoping that you would be the one to shed some light on that because of your obvious experience..

I just don't want to have to do it again any time soon.

There is this.

Jaguar XJ s Type Rear Lower Control Arm Fluid Hydrabushes Bushing Bushings Set 6 | eBay

I had also read about these..

http://www.thejaguarshop.com/Jaguar/...s/RG%20109.htm

But what about the third bush for that arm?

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 03-15-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:34 PM
Received 12,767 Likes on 6,395 Posts

Originally Posted by Naso--Lituratus
I just don't want to have to do it again any time soon.

Hi Naso--Lituratus,

Your XJR is 11 years old this year, so if you get anywhere near the same life out of the new bushings as you got out of the OE bushes, you won't have to touch them again for many years, perhaps a full decade.

Jaguar engineers have known about poly bushings for many years, yet they continue to specify bushings of a more conventional rubber and lower durometer hardness. The compliance of those bushings is a carefully-chosen element of the overall suspension design, and if you go to harder bushings, they may indeed last "forever," but you'll have sacrificed some of the fine balance of comfort and handling that helps make Jaguars among the finest luxury-performance sedans in the world.

Based on the reports of Cambo and others, I personally intend to replace our bushings with the OE type and I'll be perfectly happy if I get 8-10 years out of them.

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-15-2015, 10:50 PM
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,423 Posts

I am SO Squeaky today!!-uh6801.png

Jaguar does not list the individual bushes as spares.

Neither does Lemförder.

The Racing Green bushes are the Spherical Joint on the lower wishbone, the outer and the rear. Marked B & E in the drawing. The front marked A is a rubber bush (that I replaced with Poly)

You can buy a kit of all three lower bushes here JAGUAR S TYPE / X350 LOWER REAR WISHBONE BUSHES, FULL SET FOR ONE ARM | eBay that's two Spherical joints & one rubber bush.

The upper arms are similar, the rear (D) is a Spherical Joint, the front (C) is rubber, the front one is where I put in a Polybush.

You can buy the pair here JAGUAR S TYPE/X350 REAR UPPER WISHBONE/ARM BUSHES | eBay that's one Spherical joint, one rubber bush.

If the ball joint craps out then you need a new arm, they cannot be replaced.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Don B (03-15-2015), Naso--Lituratus (03-15-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Naso--Lituratus,

Your XJR is 11 years old this year, so if you get anywhere near the same life out of the new bushings as you got out of the OE bushes, you won't have to touch them again for many years, perhaps a full decade.

Jaguar engineers have known about poly bushings for many years, yet they continue to specify bushings of a more conventional rubber and lower durometer hardness. The compliance of those bushings is a carefully-chosen element of the overall suspension design, and if you go to harder bushings, they may indeed last "forever," but you'll have sacrificed some of the fine balance of comfort and handling that helps make Jaguars among the finest luxury-performance sedans in the world.

Based on the reports of Cambo and others, I personally intend to replace our bushings with the OE type and I'll be perfectly happy if I get 8-10 years out of them.

Cheers,

Don

Shoot, if I can get anywhere near 10 years out of the OE ones than I will be more than pleased. I honestly was under the impression that the OE ones were of poor rapport. My arms look so new ( other than the bushes) that I kind of think that they are not 11 years old. Could very well be though as the rest of the car is pretty clean underneath.

Cambo, I am ordering that set you linked in from ebay right, meow.

I new that the ball joints couldnt be swapped out, but I did not know that the one bush wasn't even spherical, useful as always my good sir.