XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

intercooler pump not coming on 2004 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default intercooler pump not coming on 2004 XJR

another issue? I have straight wired to a battery and pump is working. i plugged it back up to the factory wire and it is not getting power. the fuse isnt blown. so my question is does the pump come on at a certain time? i thought i read somewhere that it supoose to run all the time when the engine is running?

low coolant light is on and the heater aux pump doesnt come on either. could these 2 have something to do with the sc pump not working? i have ran the engine idle and hoses where hot but the hose coming of the thermostat is cooler and the sc pump lines are cold.

has anyone experienced this?

Old 10-05-2016, 08:42 AM

anyone??

Old 10-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I had the same problem. My issue turned out to be the wire harness connector that connects to the intercooler pump. Water was getting into the harness connector and rusted the wires and even shorted one. I went ahead and clipped the wires if the connectors and soldered then together asking with a shrink tube. By the way the intercooler pump should come on with the key in the on position even if engine is off.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:24 AM

BlackKat, thanks for the reply. I am looking at the pictures you posted. What is the connect with the ten slots in it? I have another post that has a similar connector like that in question in my passenger fender and it is dangling not connected to anything.

Also my wire to the intercooler pump is 2 wire connector. I am assuming the pump should suck water out of the cooler in front of the fan correct and the flow goes out the side of the pump correct?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarVDP
another issue? I have straight wired to a battery and pump is working. i plugged it back up to the factory wire and it is not getting power. the fuse isnt blown. so my question is does the pump come on at a certain time? i thought i read somewhere that it supoose to run all the time when the engine is running?

low coolant light is on and the heater aux pump doesnt come on either. could these 2 have something to do with the sc pump not working? i have ran the engine idle and hoses where hot but the hose coming of the thermostat is cooler and the sc pump lines are cold. has anyone experienced this?
The IC pump on my 06 SV8 did not run either and I finally determined that the ECU was not grounding the coil on the IC pump relay. I added a wire to the coil ground wire in the EC19 connector on the bottom of the front Power distribution box and grounded it permanently to a front bracket bolt. I do get an occasional code P023B (Charge Air Coolant Pump Circuit Low) now that sometimes lights the CEL, but the IC pump now runs with the ignition on and runs for four seconds after the ignition is turned off.

If you check this on your car do not trust the connector position listed in the wiring diagram - go by wire color. Brown/Yellow wire in gray connector EC19, position 5 on my car. Push a straight pin through the wire and ground it with a clip lead to see if it makes the relay close and the pump run with the ignition on.

Attached Thumbnails intercooler pump not coming on 2004 XJR-ic-relay-ground-added-1-.jpg   intercooler pump not coming on 2004 XJR-ic-relay-ground-added-2-.jpg   intercooler pump not coming on 2004 XJR-ic-relay-ground-added-3-.jpg   intercooler pump not coming on 2004 XJR-ic-relay-ground-added-7-.jpg   intercooler pump not coming on 2004 XJR-100_0281.jpg  

Last edited by philwarner; 10-06-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:18 PM

Yes two wires power the pump but those two wires travel through that connector. My advice would to first pull the intercooler pump and test it with a car battery to see if it runs. If it does run than I would turn on the ignition and use a light continuity tester and start tracing the wires. That's how I find my break.
The pump itself pumps coolant from the intercooler radiator at the front of the car up to the intercoolers over the intake. FYI while I was at it I upgraded my pump to a bosch unit.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:19 PM

FYI it may be easier to help you trace the wiring if you remove the expansion tank.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:56 AM

Thanks BlackKat and Philwarner. I found the issue. Someone connected the bumper connector to the connector that runs the pump, low coolant light and whatever else it runs. The connector that was dangling in the passenger fender was the connector for the bumper. I had to dig up in the frame and found the correct harness for the pump.

Front sensor, front parking lights on the bumper, fog lights and headlight washers (haven't check those yet) but all others are working now. Pump comes on when I turn the key. I have some other issues which I will post in another thread. Thanks again for all your assistance. Blessing to you all!

Old 10-07-2016, 10:44 PM

Awesome!

Old 10-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Excellent outcome!

Old 10-08-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Glad You found it. It sounds like your car has a history like mine of previous owners or their "mechanics" doing strange things to it. Good luck in sorting it all out.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

wow I know this is an older thread but I had to say thanks to the great info and great pics....I replaced my radiator and had to unplug the pictured connectors...everything was fine until I noticed my intercooler not getting warm and the intake coolers getting hot...I bled everything perfectly but still no water flow thru the cooler...checked pump operation and no power...I searched for the supercharger cooling pump problem, which led me here,saw the plug photos, checked mine and wala...I had the same corrosion on two pins and a broken pin on one...cut and spliced the corroded wires ...sprayed wd-40 inside the plug...worked it a couple times and bingo...pump works great and supercharger air is cooling once again...saved me x amount of dollars for a new pump and the task of tracing wires...I have read about upgrading to the bosch water pump...most say it flows more water and really reduces intake air temp at the supercharger..they say by feel of the intake coolers there is a noticeable difference.....and also using an infrared thermometer..found them for 55 to 70 dollars...any thoughts or experience on the upgrade appreciated...and as always I am very grateful for the knowledge and sharing on this forum....I have a thread started about my rad replacement...I will update that in a couple days when I finalize the repair i know i am an s type in the wrong forum. Please excuse that. Just wanted to say thanks to those that posted

Last edited by scottjh9; 09-10-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-24-2018, 07:54 PM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
The IC pump on my 06 SV8 did not run either and I finally determined that the ECU was not grounding the coil on the IC pump relay. I added a wire to the coil ground wire in the EC19 connector on the bottom of the front Power distribution box and grounded it permanently to a front bracket bolt. I do get an occasional code P023B (Charge Air Coolant Pump Circuit Low) now that sometimes lights the CEL, but the IC pump now runs with the ignition on and runs for four seconds after the ignition is turned off.

If you check this on your car do not trust the connector position listed in the wiring diagram - go by wire color. Brown/Yellow wire in gray connector EC19, position 5 on my car. Push a straight pin through the wire and ground it with a clip lead to see if it makes the relay close and the pump run with the ignition on.
Just like to say thanks to philwarner for this post as I changed the supercharger coolant pump for the Bosch 010 only to find it not working. Checking fuse 24 in the engine compartment showed no voltage on either side of the fuse ( fuse tested ok), following Phil's instructions determined I had the same issue. Fixed as described in the post and I now have a running upgraded pump .

Thanks Philwarner 👍

Old 11-28-2018, 09:28 PM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

How do you know when your I/C pump is not working?

Old 12-01-2018, 09:33 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by viper1996
How do you know when your I/C pump is not working?
Turn the ignition on but dont start engine. You will hear the sound of the IC Pump.