XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

JLR SDD v138 Mongoose Pro works with 2004 X350

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default JLR SDD v138 Mongoose Pro works with 2004 X350

I've read a few posts where people were wondering if JLR SDD v138 Mongoose Pro would work with cars earlier than 2005. (The online sellers all seem to say that it works only with cars 2005 and newer.)

I ordered v138 with the basic Mongoose (not Pro) from JLR Mangoose SDD V139 for Jaguar and Land Rover Support till 2014 Year. (Their site changed to show v139 while I was waiting for my order to arrive.)

It took a couple of weeks to arrive. There were no printed instructions in the package so I found a YouTube video showing the installation procedure. I installed it in XP Mode on a Windows 7 Panasonic Toughbook CF-30 MK3. The software files are huge at more than 9 GB and took more than ten hours to completely install. It would have taken much less time had I noticed that XP Mode had only 512 MB of ram allocated to it. I later changed that to 2GB.

The software does run in XP Mode. And contrary to the seller's claim that it works only with cars 2005 and newer, it does work with my 2004 XJ8. Also, although I ordered the basic Mongoose, they sent me the Pro version which also works with the car. I don't know if there is actually any difference in the cable itself between the basic Mongoose and the Pro version. But the software package came with drivers for the Pro version only. I installed them and the software tells me that my Mongoose Pro is connected. So whether it is the cable itself that makes it a Pro, or if it is just the drivers, it works on a pre-2005 car.

Yesterday I took it out to the car and poked around a bit. The software found my car's VIN by itself without me having to type it in. It came up with the list of options that my car had on it from the factory - which options were fitted and which were not. I was able to type in a symptom or two and it ran checks for DTCs. It offered repair suggestions.

I only had one hiccup with my first try. I could not make the software find the Mongoose Pro. Windows said it was connected, but the software didn't agree. With Don B's help I found out that in XP Mode, the Mongoose has to be plugged in and then "attached" to XP before the JLR SDD software is opened. If I don't do that, the software thinks it is looking for a VCM cable and there is no way to tell it to look for the Mongoose. If the Mongoose is properly attached to XP Mode prior to opening JLR SDD, the software will automatically see the Mongoose. After I made that change all was well and everything seems to be working as it should.

I have no way of knowing how many other pre-2005 Jaguars v138 works with but I suspect that there are several.

The following 3 users liked this post by bookman:
Don B (12-29-2014), lcmjaguar (12-29-2014), Partick the Cat (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 06:44 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

ok bookman, normally the software will inform you if the vehicle is pre sdd by automatically opening ids if it is pre sdd applicable. In other words if the vehicles hardware is older once you connect to the vehicle it will automatically prompt to open ids instead instead of sdd. I have found that most sdd versions 130 and up will work with 1998-2013 jaguars and 2005-2013 range rovers. Glad you like the package but be careful when using the campaigns because although it may recommend you to update the tcm or ecu etc,if the calibration files aren't up to date you may cause a issue with compatibility with engine and transmission. I would advise to just use it as a diagnostic tool, not to update the unit unless you are sure all files are up to date and preloaded to match the car etc. This is powerful software and very proprietary so walk carefully in the valley of uncertainty ...until next time happy wrenching!

Last edited by 912guy; 12-29-2014 at 07:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lcmjaguar (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. I bought the software primarily for diagnostics and simpler things such as calibrating ride height, etc. I don't think I would trust it or myself to attempt flashing the transmission module, ecu, etc. I'll leave that for a technician if I ever need it.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:32 AM
Xag
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

I think all X350's are new enough to use the SDD software. My clone Mongoose starts as a standard one when installed first and after that I can upgrade it through software. I've done this several times reinstalling the SDD software. Used the software for reading and also (re)configured several modules with the system like this (pro) and haven't had a problem yet.

Guus

Old 12-29-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Xag
I think all X350's are new enough to use the SDD software. My clone Mongoose starts as a standard one when installed first and after that I can upgrade it through software. I've done this several times reinstalling the SDD software. Used the software for reading and also (re)configured several modules with the system like this (pro) and haven't had a problem yet.

Guus
Which modules have you been able to reconfigure?

Old 12-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Xag
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

FEM/REM/DDM and ACC and maybe a few more as well. ACC was interesting, you have to take the car for a drive to learn in the radar again.

Guus