XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Nav screen annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Nav screen annoyance

I know this is very petty, but I find it very annoying that when I start my car (2005 XJ8L) the Nav screen comes up and I have to press the "Agree" button.

For local driving, I'd just as soon not have the Nav screen on, ather than have that "Agree" screen come up when I start. But I haven't found anything else that I can select that would just come up automatically when I start up, other than "Audio" and "Climate, neither of which are visually appealing. I've tried setting the screen to Jaguar Logo or Blank Screen while the car is running, but then next time I start up I'm back to the Nav screen.

Again, I know I'm being petty - but I'm wondering whether anyone knows of a secret work-around?

Ray

Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

On my 07 the menu sceen comes up upon start up and if I don't have to adjust anything I just press logo. I would not mind if it defaulted to the logo on start up.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Default Thanks, Barry....

That helps a little. I found that if I press the Menu button at the right side of the screen, it indeed resulted in the menu screen coming up upon startup. It still means I have to press something but strangely, it seems to annoy me less than seeing that Nav "I agree" screen.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strange, my 2005 XJR comes up with whatever was last chosen, Nav, Radio, Climate

Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Yes, as I mentioned in my post, mine will come up on Audio or Climate as well as Nav, but if my "last chosen" was, say, the Logo, or Blank Screen, it will come up on Nav (or Audio or Climate) next time. I'd love to have it come back up with Logo - will yours do that?

Ray

Old 06-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, sign me up for the Petty Patrol. My car (2009) starts up with the ugly menu screen each time I start the car, and I press 'Logo'. It would be very nice if there were a way to make this sticky so it defaults to logo. Anyone know if this might be dealer-programmable? I'd actually pay some cash to make this work the way I want.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I'm new and really need your help and support.

I have purchased a used 2007 XKR for my father and yes the screen jut goes blank after a while.

I have managed to get the brightness down below 50% and turned off the auto dim feature. This does help somewhat but last for a few minuets and then the same problem, it goes off.

Now my father is not the most technical chap and this was a 65 birthday present for him. I dont want him to get turned off the car as it is absolutely beautiful and has full history with only 47k on the clock!

It is perfect in every way except this.

No being in the UK, you would have thought getting a replacement screen would be fairly straight forward...but NO!

XK screens are heard to find on ebay but I have heard that XF screens of the same year will work! There are a few for sale but how do I know which one will work with the XK?

Shall I simply just buy the same model year screen from an XF and hope for the best? Shall I try and pull the old screen out first?

Please help.
I want dad to be 100% happy with his birthday present.

IceBoy

Old 02-07-2023, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,792 Likes on 720 Posts

Do you know if the screen is backlit with a CCFL or LED?
If CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent tube), as these tubes age they get weaker, and at some point they can create too much current draw on the small integrated high voltage power supplies that drive them, causing them to cut out and possibly slowly strobe.

CCFLs are available still from specialty online suppliers, but you need to know what length, diameter and possibly shape (some are right angles) your lamp is to order the correct size.
Fitting can be a bear as you often have to very carefully dismantle the original LCD screen to expose the lamp, desolder the connection wires and transfer over to the new lamp. Often there are some super small clear silicon "o-rings" on the old CCFL that are spacers to centralize the lamp in the cavity. By the way, they are fragile so don't take kindly to any force or flexing.

I have done quite a few CCFL replacements on laptop screens, desktop monitors, commercial bus instrument clusters etc, but haven't had to pull the display from my XJ8 yet, so am unsure if this is applicable.