XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Need Advice on Replacing Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 09:39 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Need Advice on Replacing Hoses

Would you be so kind as to give me some guidance on this? One of my cars is a 2005 Jaguar XJR. It is a supercharged sedan with 95k on the clock. It runs well and is fast. It will chirp the tires from a dead stop accelerating 50mph to 120mph is a blink.

I have done a search and there are several great write ups, here are a couple
Dsetter,
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...valley-134108/
Jaglover101,
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-hose-176722/
Cooldblood
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...others-217068/
1sloXJR
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-parts-215791/

Here is my question: How many hours and what should be the cost to replace the hoses from an Indy shop? They are bulging, and I have a slight leak in one of them.

It is a bit of an involved job because the valley hose is under the intake and supercharger, lots of disassembly. The reason I ask is because I took the Jag to an Indy shop for Euro cars that I have not worked with before and they have had the car for 4 days now.

From talking with them on the phone it seems like they have not done this type of job on Jags in a while. These guys were recommended to me by an MG restoration shop and they work on lots of high-end cars.

I wanted to get a feel for what I am looking at when the bill arrives. I do not want to be charged for the shop’s lack of efficiency or get gouged on parts. Everyone needs to make money; I am not disparaging a shops profit, just looking to get a baseline idea on what the costs and timeline should be.

Searching some Jag forums, I came up with a great write up on the procedure with a parts list. The pricing I have found has been $650 on the low side to ?? on the high side. I know there are manuals that have suggested time allotments to finish jobs. Looking to lean on our collective knowledge to get educated.

Thanks for looking at this, below is Dsetter's write up I found.

Griff

5 hours to tear down to the point where you would start reassembly for non-professional

Disconnect battery

Remove Wipers and spray feed

Remove wind screen lower rain shield

Remove shock tower braces on at least RHS

Remove plastic false bulkhead at rear of engine

Remove cabin filter and surrounding plastic case

Remove cover over headlights and radiator grill

Blow down engine and area to remove dirt and dust

Drain any remaining coolant from radiator. Drain is on lower LHS of Radiator

Disconnect crankcase vent tube and remove intake pipe from inlet duct and air filter box

Remove coolant expansion tank

Remove SC belt with ˝” drive breaker bar

Remove cast intake duct to throttle body

Remove coolant hoses and temperature sensor plug on thermostat tower

Remove thermostat tower

Remove SC outlet coupling to Intercoolers 2x 10mm nuts and 2x 10mm bolts

Remove SC outlet from SC

Loosen electrical harness assembly from back of throttle body

Remove coolant pipes on EGR valve

Remove 13mm nuts on EGR pipe to exhaust Manifold

Remove 8mm bolts on EGR valve to throttle body

Remove coolant pipes on throttle body

Remove throttle body

Remove EGR assembly

Remove SC inlet

Remove SC retaining bolts

Remove SC assembly

Remove Insulating pad

Remove the offending coolant hose and wonder if this were the only location it could have been located. Clean it all down, and reassemble

PARTS LIST

AJ89746 Cooling hose to TB, this is the main failure item.

The following items may be changed as we are in there. The SC inlet and outlet seals are rubber it is recommended to change them if it is in our budget.

AJ88507 EGR to TB cooling Hose

AJ811758 Coolant hose EGR to throttle body

C2C18160 Intercooler inlet cooling hose

C2C18181 Intercooler return hose

C2C11477 Thermostat tower O-ring seal Qty 2

AJ86892 SC to IC duct seal Qty 2

NCC7735BA SC outlet seal

AJ83292 Induction body to SC Gasket

AJ83445 Throttle Body Gasket

AJ82340 EGR tube to manifold gasket

AJ88560 EGR Valve gasket to throttle body

C2S15816 Brake Kit to reseal brake vacuum pipe

The following 3 users liked this post by Griff79:
Don B (08-07-2020), forterieontariocanada (05-29-2020), Samilcar (09-27-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 08:01 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had pretty much every coolant hose on my 2005 Super V8 replaced over the years and while I don't have the invoices handy or remember the details I recall the valley hose alone cost me approximately $1000 to get done at an indie shop that specializes in Jaguar repairs. The remainder of the hoses over the span of a year or two were probably another couple thousand, it is the most expensive work I have had done, there are a lot of hoses!

Old 05-29-2020, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I am thankful I can do the work myself plus I have the space to do it so I save thousands.

Having said that some tools will cost a bit and take up space however many jobs do not require more than standard every day tools.

This forum has helped me a heck of a lot with many true experts available for advice.

I appreciate others do not either have the space or the "inclination" to do the work themselves however if that is the case you need to budget for thousands of $$$$ when you buy a "vintage" car no matter what its maintenance record is.

One last point if "you" are in there replacing a hose you should replace all hoses as much of the labor has already happened such as draining the radiator etc.
Most items can be found on Ebay and if not there are dealers noted in this forum that will give discounts to Forum members.

Last edited by jackra_1; 05-29-2020 at 08:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
forterieontariocanada (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Just be careful if the shop has never done the under SC hose before. That has been one of the hardest jobs I have ever done on a car (I had a 2005 STR) and the potential to break many expensive items is high. In fact I have done it twice because I caused a vacuum leak replacing that hose the first time and it required the SC to come off AGAIN!

Remember your car is old and EVERYTHING plastic or rubber is brittle and will fail/break/leak. Wiring, coolant items, even the intake tubing can crack and leak air causing dash board lights and driving problems.

Hate to say it but I could not afford to own a Jaguar unless I DIY the work. Lucky we have this great forum with all the problems solved and repairs documented.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
dsetter (06-01-2020), forterieontariocanada (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

+1 on the above.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:08 PM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Does anyone know of forum post(s) like the one by Griff79, except for the NA non-supercharged vehicles? I assume it has to be a lot easier. (mine is a 2006 XJ8)

Old 05-29-2020, 06:29 PM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Don't know if it's just me but If I was doing the valley hoses again, I think I would remove the bonnet ( hood ) just for extra access, I found it a real pain getting at all the stuff towards the rear bulkhead with the bonnet on.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:27 PM
Received 171 Likes on 108 Posts

One of my biggest fears is that hose.
I hope I find SuperV8 soon that has had everything done already.

I hope 🤞

Old 05-31-2020, 10:28 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you to all for the posted insights into this adventure. I would have done the work myself but I wanted the car to be ready for the girls to take another road trip. I believe the Indy shop is reputable. they have many solid yelp reviews and Google reviews, were highly recommended by the MG restoration shop.

I don’t believe they have done this type of work often. usually there is one or two guys at most that work on certain types of cars at Indy shops. I don’t think a 15-year-old Jag XJR rolls in to have the hoses replaced very often.

I called to jaguar dealers to see what they would charge for the replacement of the valley hose and it was around $1000-$1500. Tomorrow I’m going to take that list that Dsetter compiled and get pricing on them so I have a parts reference price list. I will post it just for reference and where I found the items.

One concern is that they had the car since Thursday before last so over a week. They were going to call when they had a parts list compiled haven’t heard anything yet.

Thanks much for all the input and advice it is welcome this is a great forum and I’m glad to be a part of it.
Griff

Old 06-01-2020, 11:06 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

I think hoses, SC seals and other vacuum pipe seals were approx $600. These were Jag dealer prices and I think online they can be had for less now.
+1 agree that I would only own cars I can work on as I do not feel to pay others that may be less skilled that me.... But they have to be responsible for what they do.
+1 on the wiring insulation and plastic support posts and retainers will probably have stiffness. I found the wires were fine underneath, but the tap wrapping was hard and crumbled when moved much.
Sorry you are so far away.