Received 741 Likes on 624 Posts

I have no experience of comm. type of faults (thank goodness) but I do remember

reading on here that the "repair" can be as simple as disconnecting and

reconnecting a wiring connector.

ie a bad contact.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...-JAG_10-08.pdf

Old 12-23-2014, 07:15 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Mac Allen do you have a copy of JTIS v1.4 or later? If not go to the download section and get it as it does a decent job of explaining the meaning and likely causes of your problem.

The U1262 code is an odd bird and possibly what I seeing is an incorrect definition but it refers very specifically to the "in car entertainment system" and an SCP network circuit fault possibly caused by one of the following:

SCP network circuit: open circuit, short circuit to B+ voltage, short circuit to ground

SCP network fault

Audio unit SCP failure
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

The U1900 code could be either an air suspension fault or a security system fault from an error in the CAN network caused by one of the following: Mac Allen do you have a copy of JTIS v1.4 or later? If not go to the download section and get it as it does

CAN circuit: open circuit, short circuit to B+ voltage, short circuit to ground

ASM internal CAN fault

IC internal CAN fault

CAN network fault

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

The code U2510 refers to a problem in the security system (PATS) and to correct it Reconfigure IC / ECM using WDS

The B2139 code has two possible messages and causes:

B2139 IC Battery; Starter; Generator, Security / ECM identification does not match IC & CUSTOMER SYMPTOM: Engine will not start

MIL = Y Possible cause = Reconfigure IC using WDS

B2139 REM Central Locking Unlock data error (between DDM and REM) MIL= N Possible cause = DDM / REM SCP network fault or DDM failure – Check DDM DTCs

MIL = Y or N just signifies whether or not a light is lit on the dash

I can't make much sense out of all these messages other than they obviously signifying a major communications problem across the networks. The only one that actually refers to your obvious problem is the B2139 code which includes a "will not start" complaint. I'm still of the mind that it's a ground/short problem in a bad connector or damaged wire some.

Last edited by RDMinor; 12-23-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Adding needed comments
Old 12-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 825 Likes on 519 Posts

Mac Allen do you have a copy of JTIS v1.4 or later?
Funny you should mention that... I've been trying to download it for a couple of days, but AT&T is having a local network issue that keeps interfering with the download. Hopefully, they'll it resolved by tomorrow.

Does anyone know exactly where the Rear Electronic Module is located?

Old 12-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Disconnect the negative, and then the positive terminal from the battery, and shine those terminals up.

Leaving those battery terminals still detached, disconnect the two earth grounds in the boot, and shine those terminals up as well. Afterwards, connect those terminals back up.

Reconnect the positive battery terminal to the battery, and then the negative.

Start the engine.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Default update

Happy New Year from unhappy me

No progress in isolating my problem, but I thought I would post some information and ask some questions so perhaps a kind soul will have some inspiration. I’ve cleaned every ground/earth point, connectors, harness junctions, etc.

The IDS/SDD software reports communication errors with the ECM, the Rear Electronic Module, and “[34] General electronics control module” if I perform a Special Applications - Vehicle scan

The question I most want answered right now is the following:

I have a used ECM from the correct VIN range, CAN I swap that ECM in, put the ignition in position II (but don’t start the car) ONLY in order to see if IDS/SDD can communicate with the ECM?

IOW, can I determine if the network failures are internal to the ECM or something else?

I don’t want to attempt that unless I can get a definitive answer so I don't immobilize the car. Thanks!

I’ll do a second post later tonight on the results of pinpoint tests of the CAN, SCP and ISO networks.

Last edited by Mac Allan; 01-03-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Follow up post.

The reason I think the ECM could be the cause of the network issue, is that after performing the pinpoint tests I have issues with the CAN, SCP and ISO networks, and the ECM seems like the only common component of all three networks.

1. CAN tests for open circuit the first failure point is pinpoint test G239843t4. Resistance shouldn’t be higher than 5 ohms, and I get a reading of 22.91k.

2. CAN tests for short circuit the first failure point is pinpoint test G239843t23. If resistance is less than 10,000 ohms, and I get a reading of 4.97k.

3. SCP Network tests the first failure point is pinpoint test G239843t29. Voltage shouldn’t be higher than 3 volts, and I get a reading of 12.52 volts.

4. ISO network tests the first failure point is pinpoint test G239843t36. Voltage shouldn’t be higher than 3 volts, and I get a reading of 4.98 volts.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

It's quite a similar car to the S-Type 2002+ as regards modules and on those you CANNOT swap the PCM like that. If you do the car goes into anti-theft. Now, whether you can go past that with IDS without having to use one of the special things I don't know.

I'd be suspecting a chafed harness or wet connector(s).

Old 01-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Received 12,769 Likes on 6,397 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
Does anyone know exactly where the Rear Electronic Module is located?

Hi Mac,

The REM is mounted in the right rear inner fender behind the carpeted trim, next to the Electronic Parking Brake Module. The REM is a thin square-shaped module.

I'm assuming you have the X350 Workshop Manual since you're performing the pinpoint tests. I have personally found it to be more helpful than JTIS (although I'm not sure which version of JTIS I have). If you don't have the workshop manual you can download it in six sections from the 'HOW TO' quick links thread on the home page of this X350 forum. The "U" codes are defined in the Electrical section of the manual.

If the SDD instruction manual is not in the download area and you don't have it, drop me your email address in a private message and I'll send it to you. I think you mentioned that you have the Electrical Guide but if not I can email that to you also.

Regarding the DTCs you found with SDD, the broken chain link symbols with the "ray" lines indicate that all the DTCs are intermittent. Have you tried clearing them and then rescanning to see which, if any, reappear?

Have you scanned for unrelated DTCs or only those related to your symptoms?

Have you opened the ECM case to inspect for any signs of water ingress?

Like JagV8 I wonder if the results of your pinpoint tests may indicate a problem in a wiring harness or wet/corroded connector, with shorts to battery power or lower-resistance paths to ground.

Have you cleaned the ground stud on the inner right fender near the ECM (just under the outer edge of the plastic windshield cowl)? There's also another corresponding ground on the other side near the brake master cylinder.

Have you cleaned all the battery power connections in the car, including to all the fuse boxes? I'm getting an occasional long list of DTCs that clear and don't come back for months, but among them are codes related to low battery power. I suspect I have corrosion somewhere on a battery power connection or ground that I haven't found and cleaned. I wonder if there may be some connections you still need to find and clean.

Sorry for the laundry list of questions, but you've definitely got a mystery on your hands.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
abonano (01-04-2015), Mac Allan (01-03-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Default Progress?

Two steps forward, but one back. Solved one problem, only to find a new one.

Traced the original fault to the EMS relay not firing. Either the relay or the diode failed or the connection to the board failed. Regardless, the fuse/distribution boxes aren’t designed to be serviceable units, and that relay is soldered to the board, so I was able to source an inexpensive used unit to swap out.

That solved the EMS relay issue, car now turns over, shifts, and IDS/SDD communicates with the ECM! No more error messages on the display.

However, it doesn’t start. The reason is completely new. I’m now getting DTC 1235 — rear electronic module, fuel input (modulated pulsewidth) - out of range (low). Never had this DTC before. However, after extensive testing, the ECM is sending the signal to the REM in range, but the REM isn’t processing that signal to drop to ground the red wire going to the fuel pump. Checked all the grounds going to the REM, and the wiring between the ECM and the REM. The ECM is delivering the signal to pin 19 of the REM.

1. Any ideas, or do I have to replace the REM?

2. I don’t believe that the REM can be reflashed?

3. Can it just be replaced, or do I have to do something in IDS/SDD to configure it?

Old 01-12-2015, 12:39 AM
Received 4,444 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Good news!

The REM can be re-flashed, no doubt about that. You just need to find the right symptom in the SDD to get you to that.

The following users liked this post:
Mac Allan (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Good news!

The REM can be re-flashed, no doubt about that. You just need to find the right symptom in the SDD to get you to that.

Is that the "configure existing modules" function?

I haven't touched that function yet, but could someone give me a rundown on how to do it (and specifically what NOT to do)?

I've read the this TSB on it:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...ID%20block.pdf

But it says, "Configuring existing control modules consists of flash programming the latest available calibrations into an existing control module. Only the ECM and TCM are currently supported, although further control modules will be included on future vehicles."

So I'm a bit confused.

Thanks very much.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 PM

You can re-flash the REM in an X350, i've done it, others have done it too.

If the REM doesn't come up in the "configure existing modules" menu you can force flash an existing module by selecting "configure new module" but as I recall it is there as an option for existing modules, so long as you have selected the right symptoms to bring it up.

Just follow the instructions and it will guide you through it. Don't forget to have the battery charger connected!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
AD2014 (01-13-2015), Mac Allan (01-13-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Default Status Update — ready to slash my wrists

I hadn’t had an opportunity to progress because my Mongoose stopped working and had to wait for a warranty replacement to arrive from the UK.

I successfully reflashed the REM using “Configure Existing Rear Electronic Module”, but still no joy.

Here is the current situation. Cranks but won’t start, and it looks like the fault is the REM isn’t grounding the Fuel Pump, but I don’t know if it is because there is a hardware fault within the REM or the ECU is telling it not to ground the pump.

The Red Light is on the message center, but there is no corresponding message to the light.

The prior DTC 1235 is gone, but a new “Related” DTC has appeared:

B2139 - Engine control module identification does not match instrument cluster. Possible causes: Reconfigure instrument cluster

If I play around with SDD until it will display “Extras” it never gives me the option to “Configure Existing Instrument Cluster”. It did at one point give me the option to “Configure NEW Instrument Cluster” but I didn’t think that was correct one to use.

Currently, just putting in the symptom of no start, the “Extras” options are only “Configure Existing Powertrain Control Module” and “Configure New Powertrain Control Module”

Am I missing some important step? (Remember I’m completely new to IDS/SDD) I have seen mentions in other threads about running “Immobilization” but have no idea if that is something I should do. I also read that after flashing the TCM that someone had to then flash the ECM, but don’t know if that is something I should do after flashing the REM.

Also, keep in mind that the original fault was the EMS relay or diode failed, in case that has any bearing.

Wisdom desperately needed!

Last edited by Mac Allan; 01-23-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:01 PM

Try re-flashing the instrument cluster using the "new instrument cluster" option. As I recall this might even be better since it should re-flash any related modules at the same time, which is what you need to get them all talking together.

The following users liked this post:
Mac Allan (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation Help!

Try re-flashing the instrument cluster using the "new instrument cluster" option. As I recall this might even be better since it should re-flash any related modules at the same time, which is what you need to get them all talking together.
I'm in the middle of trying to re-flash the instrument cluster and just went through it reprogramming the keys and I get the following "Operator Message":

"The next screen will require you to enter digits 3-10 of the 11 digit alphanumeric value, which is printed on the barcode label located in two places. 1. Located in the boot/trunk on the right hand side, you need to remove the base board that exposes the spare wheel and then pull the right hand trim away from the body to view the label. 2. Located on the steering column this only accessible by dropping the column."

I already had the trim out from looking for the REM, but there is NO label that I can see anywhere other those on components. There are three places where a barcode is visible: On the REM, on the Parking Brake Module, and on the set of wires labeled "Boot Lid L." I think the only 11 digit alphanumeric I can find is on the Parking Brake Module label but it is the P/N and the Config number.

I checked the left side in case of a type, but there is nothing there. I don't even know how to drop the steering column.

What do I do?

Old 01-24-2015, 03:53 PM

The label should be stuck to the body somewhere, not on one of the modules, if I remember correctly.

Failing that to remove the lower shroud from the steering column isn't a huge deal, just a couple of screws.

Good luck.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

The label should be stuck to the body somewhere, not on one of the modules, if I remember correctly.

Failing that to remove the lower shroud from the steering column isn't a huge deal, just a couple of screws.

Good luck.
Good Morning!

I have looked EVERYWHERE in the boot, but will try again.

I know dropping the shroud isn't difficult, but the message makes it seem like you have to drop the entire column. Is it visible with just the shroud removed?

Old 01-24-2015, 04:19 PM

I don't know if you can see the label with just the lower half of the shroud removed, but let's hope so...

Old 01-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

I think I know why there is no label...

On close examination it looks like the rear quarter panel has been replaced. Expertly, but still it's not the original panel.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:30 PM

Ah well, that would explain it.

If you can't find the label under the steering column then maybe a Jag dealer can look up the number for you? Or maybe try contacting one of the techs / guys who work in dealerships here on the site; xjrguy, motorcarman, jgaxkr or Brutal. Maybe they can help with the number, I think it get's recorded in the Jag service database...maybe...

Quick Reply: No Start - No Shift - Multiple Fault Messages