XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

P0483 Cooling Fan Rationality check

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Default P0483 Cooling Fan Rationality check

Noticed the A/C wasn't as cold as it usually is, Initially thought, maybe needs another re-gas, that's pretty much exactly a year since I got it done.

Been having battery problems lately, Battery is less than a year old, but due to lack of use, it tends to drop and I have codes pop up everywhere, so i try to put it on a trickle charge every few days. But lately I have noticed that the "indicator" in the top of the battery, that should show green for fully charged, now shows white for needs charged. But when I put the charger on it, the charger shows it as charged, but the indicator still shows white. I will try to get a proper battery check in the next few days, just incase it's a dud battery.

ANYWAY..., the most recent code to throw up is P0483 Cooling fan rationality check, and as per a duff battery, I cleared all codes and everything was fine for a day or 2, then P0483 pops up again, and I now noticed a drop in cooling effect inside the car, particularly at idle. I removed the header tank and the Air intake for a little bit of access, and I do mean a little bit, also removed the front landing panel cover to have a look at the fan, and although the fan turns freely by hand, or should that be, finger, there really is absolutely no room in there at all, and I def got a whiff of electrical burning. SO I think I may have a new "real" problem.

I have a free day tomorrow, well i will have after I replace the rear discs, pads and L/H rear caliper, i will dig in further and see what I can find. But I think it's probably the motor control unit.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:04 AM

Well I completely wasted my free day, sat in the house all day, watching rubbish TV and eating, I finally dragged my lazy **** out around 7pm last night to go do the rear brakes, took my time and cleaned everything properly, even found that my Foxwell NT644 has the ability to release the Electronic Handbrake for Brake renewal, which was handy, I think, It def allowed me to simply pop the cable off the caliper hook with no effort at all. Removed and cleaned up both carriers and hubs, Piston on right hand caliper turned back easily, new discs and pads fitted, calipers fitted, all greased up and bled.

Put the battery on a charge while doing this work, and then checked the fan after I finished the brakes, It is turning, at low speed, didn't get it up t temp so not sure yet if it speeds up when needed, but no codes were showing after the charge and restart, and right from start up, A/C was ice cold, so I'm hoping it is infact just a battery issue, Need to get a proper check done on th ebattery ASAP.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by brian5
Need to get a proper check done on th ebattery ASAP.
I'd recommend digging into your P0483 code, which either points to a bad fan motor or module.

You don't want your fan failing totally or you might lose your engine.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:02 PM

Yeah, I do intend to dig further into the Fan code, but feel a proper battery test is called for first, I am really busy with work just now, so the car isn't getting used very often and even when it does get used, it's short journeys, having said that, I actually have 2 free days this week, although the wife is also off, So I don't hold out much hope of getting anywhere near the car to check anything.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:43 PM

Well, today was a 100+ mile day trip, and the car performed flawlessly, silky smooth and comfortably wafted me and the wife around all day, even noticed the MPG improving as I drove ( mostly country roads ). I didn't reset the computer, so the average MPG went up form 13.2 to 16.8, that rear brake must have been really dragging. No electrical problems, no lights, no codes, A/C was nice and cold, all was good right up til about 5 miles from home, then the parking sensors decided to go off on one, switched them off and finished our trip. I got my multi meter out and checked the battery, engine off, 12.7v, fired it up, 14.6v, turned EVERYTHING on, and got 14.2v. These figures seem fine to me, so I am at a loss as to what causes these intermittent electrical gremlins, unless it's maybe some earthing points in need of a check and clean.