XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Power window issue rear passenger

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power window issue rear passenger

Hello,

I've had some difficulties lately with the right rear window. It works perfectly when toggling between up and down from that door, but from the drivers seat, the window only goes down. It just won't come back up.

I did try to troubleshoot the driver master panel by replacing with another driver master panel, but the same failure in operation exists. After install of the new master panel, is there a sequence of events that I need to put into motion in order for it to recognize that the window ALSO goes up?

Went through other discussions, saw diagrams and such, but seems electrically detailed, at which point my eyes started to glaze over.

When I press the switch to activate the UP operation, I hear a click but no resulting action.

​​​​​​Using other discussions, I am able to deduce that there isn't any issue with the resident panel on the rear passenger door, but have heard that the wiring that runs from passenger to driver door panel may be pinched or damaged.

If that's the case, how do you access the wiring without removing the headliner to diagnose?

Thanks for all responses.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:31 PM
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristianC
Hello,

I've had some difficulties lately with the right rear window. It works perfectly when toggling between up and down from that door, but from the drivers seat, the window only goes down. It just won't come back up.

I did try to troubleshoot the driver master panel by replacing with another driver master panel, but the same failure in operation exists. After install of the new master panel, is there a sequence of events that I need to put into motion in order for it to recognize that the window ALSO goes up?

Went through other discussions, saw diagrams and such, but seems electrically detailed, at which point my eyes started to glaze over.

When I press the switch to activate the UP operation, I hear a click but no resulting action.

​​​​​​Using other discussions, I am able to deduce that there isn't any issue with the resident panel on the rear passenger door, but have heard that the wiring that runs from passenger to driver door panel may be pinched or damaged.

If that's the case, how do you access the wiring without removing the headliner to diagnose?

Thanks for all responses.
Hey Christian C,

Hate to disapoint you, but I'm having a similar problem and was looking for answers. Except mine (until today) was backwards. I can open the right rear window with both the driver and right read door switch. However, sometimes (not always), I couldn't get it to go back up with the driver switch. But it never failed that if I used the switch on the right rear door, it would go up, until today. Couldn't get it to go up either way and had to drive down the freeway in the cold. I tried turning it off and back on, etc., with no luck. However, after parking it for a little over an hour, the front switch made it go up. I was going to leave it, but as a habit to get a quick cool air blast, I lowered all four windows for a second until I remembered. Sure enough, the RR window had gone down a little (until I released the switch), but then would not go up.

I didn't realize that the system was so complicated (not a big surprise). I was hoping to at least just pop the door panel off, manually apply 12vdc to raise it, and worst case disconnect it so it wouldn't go down until I figured out what the problem is. Not sure that's a good idea yet.....

Have you heard anything from anyone directly?

Thanks,

Gordon

Old 01-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Update. Just went out and since I had gotten it closed, I thought I'd just check to make sure, and pulled the 'up' switch. It went down whether I pulled the up or down switch and ended up all the way down again. Hopefully it goes up in the morning since it will be cold and it's supposed to rain in the evening. I'll have to see if I'm lucky and there are separate fuses for each window (I doubt it) and when I get it up, pull the fuse. Otherwise I'll have to pull the door panel and disconnect the motor. Anyone done that before?

Old 01-04-2019, 04:27 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I have had the same problem with the right rear window since I bought the car, I also changed out the drivers door switch pack for another one but it made no difference, It's a niggle more than anything else so I can live with it, as I'm in the UK and right hand drive, I can easily reach behind and flick the door switch, but Ideally I would like it fixed.

I changed out the front switch pack as I assumed, because it worked fine on the actual door switch but not on the master that, the problem was with the master switch, I thought about swapping out the door switch but can't see that fixing it, but who knows. Other possible causes are wiring, between the front and rear door, maybe a break where the wire enters either door, could be a control module fault, or even the wiring to the boot lid, I had that on my old X308, where 1 wire in the boot.

But first thing, there is a "reset" for the windows, if, for instance the battery has been changed out, each door window has it's own switch, and the drivers door has a switch for each window, there is also a "global" closing feature, close doors, hold down lock button on remote for a couple of seconds and every window on the car, including the sunroof If you have one will close. To reset the windows, use each switch in turn, push it down and hold it down for a few seconds after the window has fully opened, then close the window and again keep the switch held int he up position for a few seconds, this resets the auto open and close, I believe there is also a reset procedure for the "global" closing, If I remember correctly its actually in the hand book, and is something similar to the individual window reset, hold the lock button as the windows close, and continue to hold it for a few seconds after they close, It may be as simple as that. But as it's one window in particular, I doubt it, but it's worth a try.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the exact problem. And I hear the click at the rear door but the only action is down. I did open the driver side master but found nothing.

I was rear ended twice(bumper redone twice) and wondered if body work people missed something.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:32 AM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

A long shot here, a friend of mine maybe 12 years ago had the rear window playing up on an Audi A2, we spoke to a technician and he suggested a full reset by disconnecting the battery and leaving it for a few minutes and then reconnecting it.
It actually worked and no issues followed, obviously a pain to then have to reset clock and radio stations ( make sure you have the radio code ) but might be worth a try. Amazing that several of you have had the same issues.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:04 AM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Not a bad idea, my mum had a similar issue with her Volvo and disconnecting the battery and reconnecting sorted it.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an issue; the rear window struggled to raise, but worked perfectly with the door card removed. Broken wire, due to lousy design; Jaguar trap the wiring between the inner door frame and the door frame.