XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Should I buy this 2005 XJ8 VDP w/ 180k miles? (former x308 VDP owner)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts
Question Should I buy this 2005 XJ8 VDP w/ 180k miles? (former x308 VDP owner)

I've found a 2005 XJ8 VDP with 180k miles that I'm contemplating purchasing - seeking advice and opinions. I've previously had an x308 VDP for 6-years and did my own repairs on it, although it almost was problem-free and needed very little - can the same be expected from the x350? The owner says he recently swapped several air suspension parts and now the suspension is working well, as is all the other driving aspects (trans, engine, etc.) The car was repainted, is missing the leaper and maybe (based on the photos) has panel gap variations, so I'm guessing it was in an accident and has been repaired. History is a mystery, current owner got it at an auction and is likely trying to flip it for cash. I'm awaiting the owner sending me the VIN to discover if the title is clear or salvage and to see the carfax.

The price is dirt-cheap, less than half of the typical rate for an '05 VDP with more-reasonable mileage and no accidents, so I'm more tolerant to issues, but I don't want a car that will keep me busy with repairs either.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 04-12-2019, 08:29 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Pass.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Received 12,736 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Given the difficulties of repairing an aluminum-bodied car, there would be a lot of temptation to cut corners on things you can't see. I'll be curious to learn what the Carfax and title tell you.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Carfax is clean with very detailed service records at dealerships up until 2016 (20k miles ago)

Accident was 5 years ago, so many miles driven since then.

Got more photos, the Interior is immaculate, looks like a new car despite the mileage.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brewster411
Pass.
why?

Old 04-13-2019, 01:01 AM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

"Who has the highest mileage XJ8"
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...age-xj8-36228/

The other thing is, how will you be able to sell it if you express concerns even now? So, maybe It should be priced in the range of capacity to junk if needs be? Or unless you are capable/willing of the likes of engine change yourself or whatever?

Repainted...Panel Gaps...History is a mystery...Auction...you be the judge! (as to how you would on-sell it)
I once looked at a Jag from an ex-dealer (didn't buy it), but he was kind enough to tell me that dealers with problem cars put them up for auction on:
(name redacted-our main car auction site) I guess he was trying to say his car must be OK, because otherwise he would have done that.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 04-13-2019 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
why?
Accident, panel gaps, repaint, 180k miles, and who knows what else.

You didn't tell us what the asking price is, so I had to fill in the blank there. It's usually a better idea to buy a nice example rather than buying a beater and spending money to fix it because you'll end up spending more. It's good that the air suspension is working now, because it can be a real pain in the butt. I would check on the suspension bushings because they likely need replaced, and they're pretty expensive to do all of them. Lots of due diligence to do with that car, especially with the body work.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:29 PM

Carfax is clean with very detailed service records at dealerships up until 2016 (20k miles ago)

Accident was 5 years ago, so many miles driven since then.

Got more photos, the Interior is immaculate, looks like a new car despite the mileage.

How can the Carfax be clean if the car was in an accident? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Does the Carfax detail the damage that was repaired? Detailed service records are good.

What was the issue that prompted the previous owner to send the car to auction? Air suspension? Do you have service records for the air suspension repairs? Were used air springs/shock absorbers installed or new ones, and if so, what brand are the new ones?

Is the title clean or salvaged?

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Thx, I replaced all the bushings in my last x308 when they started making suspension noises and clunking, is it the same in this x350 - if you don't hear anything abnormal over bumps then there is still life in them? How much does it actually cost for the full set replacement if they're needed?

What else should I be looking for?

As mentioned, price is dirt-cheep, so it's minimal financial risk. I've sold a previous Cadillac for parts with a blown engine for half of the asking price of this one. I'm not worried at all about the cost, just if this will get me stranded or occupy my time to keep it road worthy, or if I can reasonably expect to enjoy it for another 10k miles (about 3 years, I'm a very low mileage driver) without too much headache.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
How can the Carfax be clean if the car was in an accident? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Does the Carfax detail the damage that was repaired? Detailed service records are good.

What was the issue that prompted the previous owner to send the car to auction? Air suspension? Do you have service records for the air suspension repairs? Were used air springs/shock absorbers installed or new ones, and if so, what brand are the new ones?

Is the title clean or salvaged?

Cheers,

Don
Title is clean, but they don't salvage a vehicle more than 10 years old. Carfax only says there was an accident 5 years ago (almost exactly when the car turned 10 based on delivery date in late 2004), nothing else negative on the Carfax. Full frequent service reports at dealerships until 3 years and 20k miles ago, no records since then.

I've got no idea the history of the car (nor does the seller) or why it went to auction, but plenty of old cars go to dealer auctions, it's a mystery box but not indicative of a problem. Public car auctions are a sign of a car that's difficult to sell, private dealer auctions are just unknowns.

The compressor and both rear shocks were replaced by the seller, no idea if parts were new or used. if it's holding air without any error messages and doesn't sag when parked then the repair should be fine, right? Is there something else to check for?

Last edited by vdpnyc; 04-13-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:10 PM

The compressor and both rear shocks were replaced by the seller, no idea if parts were new or used. if it's holding air without any error messages and doesn't sag when parked then the repair should be fine, right? Is there something else to check for?
As long as the ride height looks correct and there are no warnings on the instrument cluster, the air suspension is probably working properly.

Which reminds me, it would be prudent to have the ECUs scanned by a diagnostic system capable of reading all the proprietary Jaguar Diagnostic Trouble Codes, which include some P- (Powertrain) codes, plus all the B- (Body), C- (Chassis, including the air suspension) and U- (Network) DTCs. It's not uncommon for an X350 to have dozens of DTCs stored, especially if the battery voltage has been low but not low enough for the ECU keep-alive memories to clear. If a long list of DTCs are present, you might have more clues as to possible problems plus an argument for negotiating an even lower purchase price.

It might also be prudent to have the undercarriage inspected to be sure no subframe or suspension components were bent in the accident and left unrepaired.

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Don, will take your advice and check under for the sub frame. It's not really practical to get the codes read at ahop as the seller lives in the middle of nowhere, but I just ordered a basic Bluetooth reader (arriving before planned pick up) to see if there's anything in the historic or pending codes, which should remain after a battery disconnect. With it I can also identify if the battery was recently disconnected too as it would set the flag for inspection not ready.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:38 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

CarFax is absolutely no guarantee of a vehicles accident history. At all.
Work is often done on the side, not involving insurance companies, or the work simply isn't reported.
A good eye, a paint gauge, and a thorough inspection are your best bet.

Don B (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 04:29 PM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I would buy not buy even for parts. There are plenty cheap XJ8 in the low 100K miles. I guess that you wanted cheap cheap.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 310jag
CarFax is absolutely no guarantee of a vehicles accident history. At all.
Work is often done on the side, not involving insurance companies, or the work simply isn't reported.
A good eye, a paint gauge, and a thorough inspection are your best bet.
If I can see it already in the photos then no paint gauge is necessary, lol

Old 04-16-2019, 01:07 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

If I can see it already in the photos then no paint gauge is necessary, lol
I'd say that's pretty obvious. Someone asked how a CarFax could be clean if there was accident history, I replied, for the others in the thread.