XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 XJR Horn Inoperative

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 1995 XJR Horn Inoperative

Hello ALCON, I am sure there is a reasonable fix for this. My 1995 XJR's Horn is Inoperative. Took the car to a shop came back with the Horn inoperable. Months ago another car swerved into my lane naturally went to use the horn....Discovered then...No Horn.

I've checked as much as I could regarding fuses and connections to the horns. Can anyone step me through the procedures to fix it?? I would appreciate a Procedure or even a "YouTube" web link that shows the "fix it" procedures. Any help / information will be appreciated.

Thanks ALCON !!!

Old 08-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Have you checked the relay for it?

The following 5 users liked this post by AlbBolivar:
93SB (08-07-2015), Don B (08-05-2015), matmd (08-06-2015), MountainMan (08-06-2015), XJRay (08-06-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Default 1995 XJR Horn Inoperative -

Hello AlbBolivar, You asked if I have checked the relay?

I will attempt to locate it and do so and advise ALCON.

Thanks for pointing me to it. Thanks!!

Matmd

Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi matmd,

You can download the 1995 X300 Electrical Guide here:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1995.pdf

See the illustration on page 26 of the pdf file for the location of the horn relay near the air cleaner housing.

P.S. I have deleted your duplicate thread in the X350 forum; duplicate threads in different forums are disallowed to prevent confusion and unnecessary use of limited forum resources:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...53/#post131237

Cheers!

Don

The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (08-07-2015), matmd (08-07-2015), MountainMan (08-06-2015), XJRay (08-06-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 09:59 AM

Good Morning Don, Great document. Thank you so much. Ironically I did check this relay when I checked the fuses using the owners manual fuse location diagram when I first located the fuses to the horn. What I failed to do was to swap this relay with the same ignition positive relay located in the right side fuse box to test the horn's functioning. Behold that was the ANSWER. I just swapped the two relays and the horn worked. I put the relays back where they both belong in their original respective locations. I am sure that failing to do so, will result in a failure to provide ignition via the good relay. I located two new relays and they are on their way to me as I type this.

Questions: Can you tell me what MAY have caused the problem..? I realize relays just fail sometimes but in this instance should I be looking at a possible electrical problem such as a short or a poor connection somewhere? I realize the car is over 20 years old now...

Don, You are soooooo the answer to my prayers in getting my beloved XJR back to 100% so we can travel together. She has never been outside of my home state and I want to be comfortable traveling with her long distances under me...Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

Once this one is closed out we only have three more issues. 1. Windshield Wiper Fluid NOT PUMPING OUT, 2. Air Conditioning System...NO COOLANT...THERE MAY BE A LEAK, and 3. Digital Clock GOING VERY DIM TO NIL. I will address each under separate Subjects in this forum only.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 AM

Hi matmd,

I'm always thankful to be the answer to someone's prayers, but in this case, it was AlbBolivar who identified the relay as the potential problem, so click the THANKS button on his message to recognize his helpful contribution.

The relays used in our Jaguars were of very good quality back in their day, but no relay lasts forever, especially ones with unsealed cases that have to operate in the harsh conditions of the engine compartment. Hopefully the new relays you've ordered will have cases that are completely sealed against moisture, and hopefully they will also have an amperage rating that is at least equal to the rating of your original relays.

We'll look forward to your posts on the remaining issues you want to resolve. Our friendly and knowledgeable X300 owners will probably have no difficulty helping you find the problems.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-05-2015 at 10:37 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (08-07-2015), matmd (08-07-2015), MountainMan (08-06-2015), XJRay (08-06-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 PM

Glad you got it figured out. I actually experienced the relay being the issue with my XJ6 about a year ago. Funny thing is, that it would work when I needed it to and then some...

I would be driving down the freeway and my horn would just being going off. I'm sure it had been going off for a bit while I was driving with music playing and noting hearing outside noise too well inside the cabin, I could only barely hear the horn going off. It took me about a month to realize that it was my relay acting up. A simple press of the steering wheel would make the horn stop until I eventually replaced the relay

The following 2 users liked this post by AlbBolivar:
93SB (08-09-2015), matmd (08-27-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
I would be driving down the freeway and my horn would just being going off. I'm sure it had been going off for a bit while I was driving with music playing and noting hearing outside noise too well inside the cabin, I could only barely hear the horn going off.

Sorry to have a laugh at your expense, AlbBolivar, but that's really funny!

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (08-09-2015), matmd (08-07-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 12:26 PM

Hello Don and AlbBolivar, YES...AlbBolivar you get the credit for pointing to the culprit in the first place. Special Thanks to you Sir.

Thank You both very much.

Question: Are the Light blue Relays the original Jaguar Relays??

Mine are both Light Blue with the Jaguar emblem on the side, the Relay number on the other side, and the OEM information on the Top of the Relay...

I will update again hopefully by Saturday. I have two supposedly original Jaguar Relays enroute to me... Should be here by Saturday

Best regards...

Last edited by Don B; 08-06-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Sorry to have a laugh at your expense, AlbBolivar, but that's really funny!
Oh yeah it's pretty funny haha. I can only imagine what peoples reactions/thoughts were as I was driving next to them.

Originally Posted by matmd
Hello Bob and AlbBolivar, YES...AlbBolivar you get the credit for pointing to the culprit in the first place. Special Thanks to you Sir.

Thank You both very much.

Mine are both Light Blue with the Jaguar emblem on the side, the Relay number on the other side, and the OEM information on the Top of the Relay...

I will update again hopefully by Saturday. I have two supposedly original Jaguar Relays enroute to me... Should be here by Saturday

Best regards...
I've seen a combination of blue and black relays. I'm not exactly sure what the difference was but I've swapped them for the horn and it seems to work ok. I think I went from a black relay to a blue one for a replacement.

The following users liked this post:
matmd (08-07-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by matmd

Mine are both Light Blue with the Jaguar emblem on the side, the Relay number on the other side, and the OEM information on the Top of the Relay..

Yes, the Light Blue relays are probably original, and one of the problems with them is that they are not completely sealed from moisture infiltration. The blue caps are not glued or ultrasonically welded on, so over time humidity infiltrates and corrodes the terminals inside.

I hope the new relays you have coming are fully sealed. If not, your local auto parts store can sell you good sealed 40A relays of the right type. They're just standard "Mini ISO" style relays, and Bosch and Hella are two leading brands.

I just noticed that the original horn relay contains a suppression resistor across the coil. The schematic also shows a diode close to the relay. It appears the diode is in the fusebox, not the relay itself, but check the original relay case to see if it has markings to indicate that it contains a resistor only or both a resistor and a diode. The resistor and diode are there to prevent voltage spikes that can harm sensitive components like transistors and ICs, so be sure your replacement relay has the same markings.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (08-07-2015), matmd (08-07-2015), MountainMan (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 08:41 AM

Hello AlbBolivar and Don B...

AlbBolivar, Thanks for the reassurance what ever the color the Relay that they will work.

Don B, Great technical information. I will check the two Relays I receive against the
original relay still in the vehicle for any openings and apprise Coventry West regarding the sealed vs. unsealed Relay issues. As well as inspect the Relays for; 1. a suppression resistor across the coil, 2. the original and replacement Relay cases to see if it has markings to indicate that it contains a resistor only or both a resistor and a diode to ensure the replacement relays have the same markings in order to protect the other sensitive components like transistors and ICs...

I am still awaiting the Relays so in the interim I am going to try to address the AC now. Can you see my new post concerning 1995 Jaguar XJR6 Supercharged Air Conditioner Inoperable which I first submitted on April 13 2015 concerning the AC. Hopefully I'll meet you both at that post too... Thanks Sooo Much!!

Old 08-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

On the Horn topic: besides the relay and fuses another potential problem/cause of no horn or even continues horn is centered on the center clock spring spiral chord (located on the center horn pad/ ABS bag area). The spiral chord controlling the ABS, turn signal, horn and bright lamp may get pinch and cause the trouble.

matmd (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 04:59 PM

AlbBolivar and Don B...The Relays arrived as I was heading to the auto parts store for the AC stuff. They (Relays) were the exact same ones I have in the car, the Blue Jaguar original Relays, NOT sealed either. BLUF...I NOW HAVE A WORKING HORN AGAIN. I intend to replace all Relays I can with the Bosch Sealed Relays soonest... Again Many Thanks !!! We can close this issue Out..!!

Don B (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 05:03 PM

cool: Seems it was the "Relay"... Thanks for the heads up though anymore horn issues I have another reference. BLUF...I NOW HAVE A WORKING HORN AGAIN. I intend to replace all Relays I can with the Bosch Sealed Relays soonest... Again Many Thanks to all concerned (ALCON)...

Old 08-07-2015, 06:09 PM

matmd,

In case I didn't mention it earlier, I watch eBay for good prices on Bosch and Hella 4- and 5-Pin relays. Last fall I was able to buy 12 really nice sealed Bosch 40A relays for just $4 each. I replaced several in our '93 that I'd never gotten around to swapping, and I put a few each of the remainder in the plastic boxes that contain my "Breakdown Kits" that I keep in the trunk of both Jags.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (08-09-2015), matmd (08-27-2015), MountainMan (08-09-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 05:26 AM

Hello Again AlbBolivar, Don B and Cool, Don B...Hmmmm a Breakdown kit in the trunk...Excellent Idea. I do recall, back in the day, on a few vehicles the manufacturers (Mercedes, Volvo, Cadillac) would recommend having certain (minimum - emergency) tools on hand in the trunks. Gotta ask if there is a recommended "tool kit" for our Jaguars when they were built?

BTW....I am ready to tackle the AC....AGAIN

Old 08-27-2015, 08:35 PM

matmd,

Some Jaguars have come with either standard or optional tool kits that have included very basic items such as a screwdriver, one or two open-ended wrenches, a pair of pliers, a spare spark plug, etc. Neither of our Jags came with those kinds of tool kits, and when I'm driving around town I don't usually carry any tools aside from the tire-changing gear that came with the car, plus jumper cables, a roll of duct tape, a can of Fix-a-flat and a couple of old shop towels.

But when I take either car on a trip of any length, before the luggage goes in the trunk I add an entire set of mechanics wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, ratchets-sockets-extensions, etc. I store them in canvas tool rolls so they're easy to pack and access. On really long trips I sometimes add my aluminum floor jack.

But at all times I keep in the trunk a plastic case with common (and in some cases hard-to-find) parts that are known to fail. You can see photos of the kit I keep in my '93 here:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

An X300 kit would have some obvious differences, such as at least one known-working ignition coil, and maybe a camshaft position sensor in addition to the crank sensor (I have all of those in the kit I'm still assembling for our '04).

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-27-2015 at 08:47 PM.
matmd (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 09:07 AM

Don B...Looked over the kit and read the narratives....EXCELLENT. I already have most of the common items that you indicate and of course will procure the deltas... Thanks Much!!

Last edited by Don B; 08-29-2015 at 11:37 AM.