XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1996 Jaguar XJR misfires and leaks petrol on the exhaust manifold side

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1996 Jaguar XJR misfires and leaks petrol on the exhaust manifold side

Hi All, some of you might know i have problem with my 1996 Jaguar XJR

After going over the road bump badly, the car started misfire (if i am using the correct term) and smoke. I stopped the car for couple of weeks, changed the spark plugs after and couldn't start it again.

Today i reset the inertia switch (i do not know if this helped) and the car started but it misfires (if i am using the correct term) and smokes badly.

It also leaks the Petrol from the Exhaust manifold side which you can see on the video. I have already said that there is not many technicians that will work on Jaguar here in Tbilisi, Georgia so i need to fix this myself more likely.

Please take a minute or two to watch the video and tell me any suggestions you come up with.

You can see where it leaks from 1:40 on the video.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

one of these helped me find and repair my leak. It can see where your eyes can't.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Jaguar XJR misfires and leaks petrol on the exhaust manifold side-%24-kgrhqrhjb-fgngvbzhobrt6e-m5i-%7E%7E60_57.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Thanks Tim ! that's a very useful tool.

My friend came over with OBD2 diagnostics cable and he said 2nd and 4th coil needs to be replaced.

Can this cause petrol leak ? I mean - if coil does not work and petrol is not burnt, will it leak from the exhaust manifold ? sounds something like crazy'sh for me.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

With the amount of fuel leaking from the exhaust side, this is unusual, I would remove the injectors and send them to be cleaned and checked professionally. this will tell you if one went bad and fuel is just flowing like crazy. I had mine done with injector rx out of Texas if i remember correctly, was very reasonable in price. looks to me that fuel is coming out of bank 1, so it would be a bad injector in the first three cylinders. my two cents.

Last edited by jeremiahjaguar; 07-23-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:23 AM

Thanks Jeremiah. I never thought of injectors flowing like crazy, that makes sense, is it hard to remove injectors? Do i need to remove the fuel rail itself or the injectors will pop out not removing the rail?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM

This is how the Coil looks

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Jaguar XJR misfires and leaks petrol on the exhaust manifold side-coil.jpg  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 PM

you need to remove the fuel rail to pull out all injectors, easy takes 15 minutes.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 AM

THanks Jeremiah - will do so after fitting the "modified" Coils

This is what i did :

When this rubber is getting hotter, more it's gonna compress, So i assumed it can help with the Crack on the Plastic of the Coil.

I know i had 2 Coils misfire But i did it on every Coil just in case and as i have bought 1 meter long of this Rubber

I put back the coils back on the car but battery died on me again so i took it to the workshop to charge for me as i couldn't jump start it from My brother's Will Vi or My friends Nissan Sylvia.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Jaguar XJR misfires and leaks petrol on the exhaust manifold side-coil-001.jpg  
Old 10-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible o2 shorted causing open on injectors to much fuel

Originally Posted by alexcarter
THanks Jeremiah - will do so after fitting the "modified" Coils

This is what i did :

When this rubber is getting hotter, more it's gonna compress, So i assumed it can help with the Crack on the Plastic of the Coil.

I know i had 2 Coils misfire But i did it on every Coil just in case and as i have bought 1 meter long of this Rubber

I put back the coils back on the car but battery died on me again so i took it to the workshop to charge for me as i couldn't jump start it from My brother's Will Vi or My friends Nissan Sylvia.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 4 new coils on mine... not sure how reliable the original those original one are. I just put in some new plugs and my idle smoothed out. For some reason mine runs a bit rich. So did you get yours running properly again?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:01 PM

If that is truly excess fuel there are only a few ways that much fuel can get into your system.
1. bad injector just pouring excess fuel into your engine.
2. bad fuel pressure regulator pouring excess fuel into your engine.
3. bad rochester valve allowing excess fuel into your system.
You should unplug the the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line from the intake manifold and start the car if fuel comes out of disconnected vacuum line then the fuel pressure regulator is bad. then check rochester valve underneath the passenger seat under the car, disconnect vacuum line going from valve to motor and plug the line. If problem is still there valve is not the problem for now. Then look to see if gas is leaking only out of one bank, if so, I would suspect a bad injector allowing excess gas to flow out of that bank. After all that Im all out of ideas.