XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1996 XJR... Keep it or sell it

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 12:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1996 XJR... Keep it or sell it

I own a 1996 XJR and I'm torn. The car is in rough shape inside and out. Every seat has rips and holes, drivers seat computer needs to be replaced, head liner is falling various odds and ends are broken. The exterior body is good but needs a paint job. Motor and trans is sound but has the notorious sticking throttle, needs shocks, water pump and those are the main high lights.

I love Jags in general and this ones an XJR... Need I say more. But the practical side of me can't decide if it is worth the investment to
A) Get it road worthy
B) Attempt to factory restore it
C) Customize the re-hab making it nice but not so factory correct (just because of hard to find parts)
D) Cut my losses and sell it

I'm open to any feedback because at this point, all of the trees are in the way.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2018, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

It would be very expensive to restore a car in such conditions you described (so Option B and C are out), and it won't be easy to sell except as a parts car (a low Option D). Your best option is Option A, i.e. do the minimal, practically what you have been doing) until you find another car. Option E would be if you still love Jaguar and XJR grade performance, keep it as your parts car and find another X300 needing only an engine transplant?

Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Your car needs a lot of work. I think that it is important for an XJ to have a nice interior. These cars often are sold as parts cars with engine or tranny problems, and are not rare in wrecking yards. You could probably locate a set of better seats and interior bits at a good price. If the driveline is in good condition you can drive it and fix what you need as you go. Paint is expensive but I bet you could find a shop that would a credible job for an affordable price. No show car finish though. OR you could keep your eyes open for a similar car in really nice shape. That might actually be cheaper in the long run. Just do what you need to keep it running safely and explore the options. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:26 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

From your description, it sounds like you have a long, expensive, uphill battle to get the car to where you want it. These cars really deserve to look and perform at their best. I don't know what costs and availability are in your part of the world, but if you really want a good example then maybe the purchase of a better car might be a more practical option. Failing that, a clean donor and transplant operation might be the way to go.

Keeping it or selling it is something only you can really decide on. I just went through a similar dilemma! I finally decided to let go.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Very good input from all who responded so far. I guess the major dilemma I have is what is the value of my passion for this XJR vs the practicality of what it will take to get it where I want. It's tough to put a measurement on that and it's up to me personally to answer that one. Being an XJR makes it a little more exclusive for me then the standard XJ because there is just not that many of them. Clean donors are hard to come by as the drive trains hold up much better than the rest of the car in terms of the cosmetic bits mine suffers from. Anything later than 1997 is where the compatibility drops drastically. At this point for the little to do to get it on the road and touching up as I go may be the more practical solution.

Thanks everyone. Other opinions are still appreciated.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:18 PM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds like a part out.....

Or strip it, install race seats and harnesses and take to the track.....

Could be fun!!!

Old 01-20-2018, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

Things are very different in different parts of the world, so I can't provide a realistic view for your locality. In the UK a solid body, sound engine and gearbox on an 96 XJR would be very sought after. Used parts here are cheap and plentiful as so many X300's die of rust ( e.g. a full set of decent leather seats could be had for around £120). Your issues don't seem too dramatic if the basics are all good. A couple of weeks effort with some used parts would get you back on track with a solid useable car and then some time to do some further fettling. Don't go for Concours, just get it tidy and reliable.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:28 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I'm insterested...

...if you sell it. -James

Old 01-20-2018, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

IMO, needing a paint job is a make-or-break thing. You can spend $20k on a paint job. Even a quickie, no frills, garden-variety respray at the local body shop could be $4000-$5000

Cheers
DD

Old 01-20-2018, 08:45 PM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
IMO, needing a paint job is a make-or-break thing. You can spend $20k on a paint job. Even a quickie, no frills, garden-variety respray at the local body shop could be $4000-$5000

Cheers
DD
I swear I am going to learn to apply wraps or some of the dip your car stuff.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

Old 01-21-2018, 05:58 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I want to add that I got my 95 XJR resprayed at a Maaco, where I kinda knew the manager, for $900. My black car was faded and crazed. I could not afford a high-end paint job so I took a chance. I had some very minor issues cleaning respray from rubber trim, but otherwise I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

The following 3 users liked this post by 95XJRBlack:
jacklynthejag (01-22-2018), Mark Murphy (01-22-2018), N3yyz_XJR (01-24-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by 95XJRBlack
I want to add that I got my 95 XJR resprayed at a Maaco, where I kinda knew the manager, for $900. My black car was faded and crazed. I could not afford a high-end paint job so I took a chance. I had some very minor issues cleaning respray from rubber trim, but otherwise I was pleasantly surprised with the results.
...and if you can take the time to remove a lot of trim and other exterior bits yourself and take it as rolling chassis to the painter, that will make a big difference in cost and quality results.

As far as the original question, a lot goes into the equation about your time and resources available, patience, any personal attachment to the car, but from a simply objective perspective I don't think I'd put the effort into it. I'd sell it to someone who can use the parts, or maybe does have the desire, time and resources. It would be a lot less expensive to find a car in nice condition than to try to bring that one back I suspect.

If the cosmetics are that bad, it may indicate that other things like maintenance and mechanical condition are questionable too.... but you just don't know it yet.

A clean and great condition car doesn't guarantee that the car was well maintained mechanically, but it is a safe assumption that a car that has been cosmetically neglected and abused likely was not well maintained mechanically.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
...............A clean and great condition car doesn't guarantee that the car was well maintained mechanically, but it is a safe assumption that a car that has been cosmetically neglected and abused likely was not well maintained mechanically.
Agreed. A car that looks shabby inside out is a sign of neglect over a long period of time, and might even deter people from buying it as a parts car. People look for evidence of previous love in a Jaguar seeking a new home.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:23 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have been at this tipping point a few times with my own '95 XJR. But if I sold it I would only replace it with another old Jag or equivalent which would no doubt bring its own problems in time!
I bought it in ok but not mint condition about 11 years ago but daily use over about 5-6 years took its toll as expected. the sills (rocker panels) are patched up along with some floor and replacement rear arches.
My old Dad had a go at a home re-spray about two years ago - I took all the trim / wings / door handles / lights etc off and tried to make it a good result. Unfortunately we had a few localised paint defects due to reaction, despite using a barrier coat, which with the metallic were hard to blend in meaning that we went around in circles until we gave up. Still it looks so much better than it did - all the same shade and fresh and shiny. I spent about £400 on paint and materials - but a good few weekends work. Next time I think I will go for a solid colour, it would be much easier and cheaper.
The headlining isn't too hard to replace ~£50 and a days work and again makes a massive difference to the interior.
I'm currently looking for a driver's (right hand) lower door panel in oatmeal as the original was damaged when I bought it.
If the bodywork isn't rusty, it drives well, the electrics work and you still want to drive an old jag, I would say option C because that is what I have done with a car that was / is a bit rusty!