XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1996 XJR Remote Programming Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 1996 XJR Remote Programming Issue?

First of all, i did search through the forum, and i was unable to find a clear solution to my problem. I recently bought the car and it came with 2 keys and 1 remote and the remote doesn't unlock or lock the car. At first i assume it was the battery problem but after battery was replaced nothing happened, so I assumed the previous owner might have pulled the battery out for storage and it needed to be reprogrammed for it to work again.

Procedure

1. Open the boot lid and drivers door, and switch on the ignition. Press central locking switch (in the centre console) 5 times. The siren will chirp to indicate it has entered learning mode.

2. Press the lock button of the remote, the system will chirp to confirm it has received the remote.

3. To program further remotes, press the central locking switch once. The system will chirp twice for remote number two, then press the lock button of the remote as above.

4. Wait for 30 seconds for the system to close and chirp twice.

I was able to locate this instruction and tried following but I'm stuck at pressing cetral locking switch, after pressing it 5 times i do not hear chirp or anything and so i thought maybe the central locking button is not working. so I tried to press the button while key is on nothing, but when i was driving the car and the button locks and unlock. The locking/unlocking function works flawlessly, I'm able to unlock/lock all doors with keys, and all doors unlock by pulling door handle when car is parked.
Can anyone shine some light on my situation? I do not know where to start from this point.

Last edited by FrozenApple; 10-12-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Just in case it's in valet mode and won't program because of that, try unlocking the boot with the black key, then close it and try again. If that doesn't work I'm lost also, but there is a chance the SLM has a problem.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
Just in case it's in valet mode and won't program because of that, try unlocking the boot with the black key, then close it and try again. If that doesn't work I'm lost also, but there is a chance the SLM has a problem.
I'm able to unlock the boot with the electronic switch, so i assume the valet mode isn't on?

Old 10-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

The instructions you have listed not accurate.

The switch you need to rock 5 times is the Valet switch, not the Central Locking switch.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by b1mcp
The instructions you have listed not accurate.

The switch you need to rock 5 times is the Valet switch, not the Central Locking switch.
Yes, Valet switch was one of the alternative method, I have tried that as well, nothing.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

I know this isn't the preferred solution to the issue, but if all else fails, you should be able to have your Jaguar dealer program the fobs with a PDU.

Straight From ALLDATA:

KEYLESS TRANSMITTER REPROGRAMMING

Note: The Security System RF handset transmitters can be programmed manually in case a Portable Diagnostic Unit (PDU) is not immediately
available.

Procedure:

Note: All RF handset transmitters belonging to the vehicle being serviced must be available. If the learning process is carried out without having all
the transmitters present, all previous transmitter codes will be overwritten, rendering the missing transmitters inoperable.

1. Open the trunk lid and driver's door.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON or II position
3. Rock the valet switch located in the center console storage compartment 5 times. A single confirmation chirp and flash of the
headlamps indicate that the Security Locking Control Module (SLCM) has entered the learning mode.

Note: If difficulty is experienced entering the learning mode, check that the valet switch is functioning properly by removing it and checking
continuity.

4. Press the arm/lock (larger) button of the first transmitter. This transmitter will be linked to position 1 of the seat/column/mirror memory. A tone
will confirm that the transmitter code was accepted. If no transmitter buttons are pushed, the SLCM will also time out after 15 seconds of
inactivity, indicated by two chirps.
5. Rock the valet switch once. Two short chirps will signal that the system is prepared to accept the second transmitter.
6. Press the arm/lock button of the second transmitter. This transmitter will be linked to the position 2 of the seat/column/mirror memory. A tone
will confirm that the transmitter code was accepted.
7. Rock the valet switch once. Three short chirps will signal that the system is prepared to accept the third transmitter.
8. Press the arm/lock button of the third transmitter. A tone will confirm that the transmitter code was accepted. This transmitter and any others will
not be linked to a position in the seat/column/mirror memory.
9. The process of pressing the valet switch and waiting for the number of chirps equivalent to the transmitter number can be repeated for a fourth
and fifth transmitter. The valet switch can be pressed to cycle through the unneeded transmitter programming sequences. The SLCM will also
time out after 15 seconds of inactivity, indicated by two chirps. This will save the transmitter codes entered up to this point.
10. Turn the ignition switch off, remove the key, and close the doors and trunk lid.
11. Check for proper system operation including the recall of seat, steering wheel and mirror memory positions 1 and 2 from the handset transmitter

Hope this helps,
Nick

Old 10-26-2014, 03:02 PM

Update: Instruction Indicates a Chirp but mine doesn't really chirp but when i press the lock button on the remote a chirp was heard and double chirp after acknowledging the remote.
I was able to program a Saab Remote to my car. It sort work but again the Saab Remote has Lock/Trunk Unlock button so its kind of buggy.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Saab remote, also. It has two buttons, press unlock three times and trunk opens.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by RJ237
I have a Saab remote, also. It has two buttons, press unlock three times and trunk opens.
Oh so.. to unlock u actually press the trunk unlock?

Old 10-27-2014, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member

No, I have only two buttons, lock and unlock. Try pressing unlock three times and see if the trunk opens.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts