XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

advise 97 XJ6L (headliner and steering) issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default advise 97 XJ6L (headliner and steering) issues

Hi,
I have owned my 97' XJ6L for less than 1 year so any info is welcome. The previous owner took very good care of it and I want continue doing so. Im looking for any and all suggestions on maintaining this beautiful car. The interior is almost flawless. I have a few things that I would like to take care of but I'm on a very limited budget. If I am posting in the wrong place please direct me. Here is my list of issues starting with the most important.

1. Previous owner installed some wires under the headliner. The wires have a mic that comes out at the rear view mirror. When I bought it they must have retrieved something from under the liner and failed to put things back together correctly. Now it has begun to sag. There is no damage to it at all, it just sags. It is working its way up to the front.

2. steering column adjustment not working(but motor is running)

3. small tear in leather in the back seat.

I think I will stop at this point and see what happens.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

Hi

Not sure about your headlining. It is only supported at the sides so if sagging in the middle, it may be damaged.

Your steering column adjustment can be repaired. The loss of function is caused only by a broken cable (as you say you can hear the motor running). Repair kit is available from Jaguar - see their Classic parts site. jaguarclassicparts.com, about 40 GBP I think.

For the rip in your seat I had very good results with a repair kit from Furniture Clinic on a good size hole in a seat. I used their repair kit (about 15 GBP) and leather dye from Dynamix (about 20GBP). I have used dye from them 4 times now on different cars all with perfect match. Google them to find them.

I'd add that I have nothing to do with these companies just found their products to be very good. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
motogirl_94518 (02-04-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Motogirl, glad to have you!

Headliner is a fairly common affliction on these fine automobiles and not necessarily related to the former installation of the bluetooth device. It CAN be a fairly expensive repair....or...you could do it yourself. Others have, and I eventually will, but as of now, mine is not yet bothersome. I believe you can report-in well below $50.00 fully complete! As you can wrestle the KX100 around ruts, washouts, whoops, and tabletops, and no doubt probably maintain it yourself, I think the headliner won't be such a daunting challenge.

This is from a '98 which is known as the X308 but headliner happens to be one of the areas of extreme commonality between X300/X308:

1998 Jaguar XJ8 headliner removal, recovering and replacement instructions.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/auheclvifa.html

Billimanius' experience may be useful as well:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...adliner-45134/

For the leather, do a search on the Interior section of the forum but just a few to whet your appetite, as it were:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...air-kit-25580/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...r-seats-51497/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...air-kits-4158/

For care once you've repaired it, I have been very happy with the Gliptone LiquidLeather products:

Leather Care | Leather Cleaner

but...pssstttt....I found better prices on Amazon.
However, others swear by other popular products so search through the "Interior" posts and draw your own conclusions. In any event, with it approaching 15 yrs old, you will want to clean and condition the interior leather with something as time/finances allow.

Best of luck and keep us posted how you are getting on with the headliner, steering column and seat...and then let's see more of the list...

motogirl_94518 (02-04-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New problems with 97 XJ6L

Hi everyone,

Well Im not happy to report more problems. I hate to admit this but I put reg gas in the last tank and I had also ran it a bit to long on empty. Now it has a few issues with starting. Now on y way to work yesterday it just died! I am horrified! I seem to have issues that follow me from car to car. I know Im supposed to use premium gas but would just one time using regular cause it to not start. When the key is in accessory position all dash lights come on. The battery is a bit on the low side. The fuel pump is turning on. Im on a very limited budget (I know "what am I doing with a Jag" I fell in love) I also have limited knowledge with mechanics. Don't have a boyfriend that can help. I have tried to learn from other posts but there are so many different things. Help!!! Anyone have any suggestions? It is stuck at my work about 40 miles from my home. Im on my way out now to see if it will start. I am very worried if it starts if I should drive. I have to use a bridge to get home. Don't want to get stuck

Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Regular (87 octane) shouldn't cause it to "just die" on you. Watery-gas may, though. It can happen. How many miles between the regular fill-up and the stall? How many gallons did you put in? Then again, there are probably at least 11 other things that can and do go wrong with them that could cause a stall and subsequent hard-start or no-start. Fuel pump is one, but you say it is running. I believe the crank pos. sensor will do it, as well. It may be helpful if you tell us how many total miles the car has - Fuel pumps rumored to give out around 100,000 mi (but mine has 110k and going fine)
You didn't have a check engine malfunction light remaining on while it was running, did you? If so, you should get the code from the OBDII port (many auto-parts stores will read that for you for free - or perhaps someone at your work, where the car is, has a tool and will bring it in to read it for you - they can be had for about $30 these days) and report what you have - but I would start a new thread. Matter-of-fact, you should probably start a new thread now with title "Stalled, won't restart" or something like that to draw the members most skilled in that area into your issue.

Regarding the weak battery - NO Jag likes a weak battery!!! Although the X300's seem a bit more tolerant of one than the S-Types..but if it's weak, it will do funny things to you.

motogirl_94518 (06-03-2012)