XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Bought a 97 XJR a month ago

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Bought a 97 XJR a month ago

This car was discussed on here when it was on eBay. Well, I am the lucky/unlucky keeper of it now. I have exhausted all means of getting rid of the horrible clunking in the rear, and am resolved that it needs new shocks. It has just a touch over 73K miles. The noise takes all the pleasure out of driving it. It has a switch that changes the suspension from S (sport?), to N (normal?) on the gear select. The previous owner put the softer H4 Bilsteins on the front it appears. I have no intention of throwing this car around curves. Two questions: #1, does this car have cats suspension?, #2, should I replace all 4 shocks with the correct ones, or given that I am looking for ride quality, and not so much handling, can I put the Bilstein H4s on the rear, or do I need the shocks meant for cats? Thank you!

Old 05-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

The sport button raises the rpm of the shift point. The XJ6 does not have interactive suspension, and you should choose whatever shocks make you happy.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

1997 XJR would be the six-cylinder version....so no "cats" suspension. That came later, on the V8 cars. You can use standard/softer XJ6 shocks if you want.

The 'S-N' switch has nothing to do with the suspension. It changes transmission shifting only.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

This is what I thought, but found differing info. I would prefer all original, but since the fronts are new, hate to replace them just because they aren't what the originals should be.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Hi, glad to see you posting this question and hello again neighbor I have the same clunking, and from my research it doesn't seem too uncommon so I wouldn't let it get you down too much. Just like your experience getting yours from NJ, I drove mine from Houston, TX last weekend... rear end clunking away

It may not be the shocks, but instead may be the lower or other bushings.

You still have to take all the same kit apart to repair the bushings as replacing the shocks, but the bushings are cheaper than shocks and at the car's age it probably would be good to check them all while you are in there. Although OTOH at 87k miles it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to consider replacing or rebuilding the shocks too.

Bilstein will apparently rebuild these shocks for about $75 each, although the turnaround may be several weeks. I still owe them a shot of the stamped part # on my shocks to verify if they are indeed the rebuildable set. I believe they are though as there is a forum member here that has done in the last year or two.

But brand new shocks whether the B4 or B6 variety aren't that terribly expensive new. I think they are about $140 each, which isn't cheap, but not back breaking either. So you could buy one pair of B4 or B6 units to make a matching set of four.

I'll probably be tearing into my 97 XJR's rear end in the next month or two once I finish rebuilding the front/rear suspension in my 95 Riviera for my son. So I'll be happy to let you know what I find/decide. Or if you get in there first, vice versa. Let's stay in touch as we both look into what is clunking and what it takes to get it sorted.

So far I am leaning toward a rebuild of the rear shocks keeping the same sport Bilsteins, and replacing every bushing back there, and a diff gear oil change.

But I'm also interested to see if technology has changed in 16 years enough that there may be a better choice of shock for the car that combines performance and comfort better than the original Bilsteins? Not sure there...

Al

P.S.

Don't feel bad about asking about the N/S setting. Before I had a chance to do some additional research on the X300 XJR, I too thought that possibly changed the suspension versus the transmission shift points.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-25-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

I ordered the B4s this evening. I guess my next question is if the shocks will come with the bushings I need, or is this something else I need to order? I like this car, but driving it is no joy whatsoever with this clunking.
I may even send the original shocks to be rebuilt, even at the expense of buying new ones. I bought the Bilsteins for 119.00 each with free shipping.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by superchargedtr6
I ordered the B4s this evening. I guess my next question is if the shocks will come with the bushings I need, or is this something else I need to order? I like this car, but driving it is no joy whatsoever with this clunking.
I may even send the original shocks to be rebuilt, even at the expense of buying new ones. I bought the Bilsteins for 119.00 each with free shipping.
I assume the shocks do come with the upper and lower bushings, especially the lower bushing installed as the photos of the shock show them installed and that would be a pain for installers to have to obtain separate bushings and then press them into a new shock. I've never seen that, but *shrug*

So definitely let us know if the new shocks show up with new bushings.

I also had heard that Bilstein changed their valving for the B6, so new ones may be a little different than the original OEM units even after a rebuild. Might be interesting to inquire with Bilstein and ask if a brand new B6 has some advantage over a rebuilt 16 year old B6.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Well, put the new shocks on today. What a job! BUT! I have to say, I am shocked at the improvement in the car. I would post pics if I knew how, but the problem wasn't the shocks themselves, as much as the upper "bushing"?(s) were completely gone. Nothing but remnants of the pieces that they had been ground into. Also, the lower shock bushings were shot. This car had some horrible bumping going on it the rear, but now all gone. I took the car to two different shops to have the tires balanced on the car, as well as off, and it wasn't the tires. Before, the car would feel like the tires would get out of balance, then smooth back out. All of that is gone now. Smooth as you could expect a XJR to be. The interior sounded like everything in it was loose, but now all is quiet. What a difference....

Old 06-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up Excellent!

That is great news, as I suffer from the same issue. Glad to hear it cleared up all the rattle.

I took my car to "Foreign Accents" which is a highly recommended indy shop in Greensboro, NC and their mechanic said essentially what you discovered. Which was that the lower bushings, although looking bad, were probably not the main cause of the rattle. It was more likely the top bushings/cushions that just fall apart eventually on a 16 year old car.

It's really the only significant problem with my car at the moment and is on my short list of things to address when I have the time.

If you have any photos, tips or lessons learned (especially anything you would do differently in hindsight) I'd really appreciate hearing about them.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

I think if I had any control over it, I would have been born rich rather than so good looking, lol. Of course, most all of us men feel that way I guess.
From what was posted on here about replacing the rear shocks, there is no shortcuts. Put the car up as high as you can, pull the rear wheels, go ahead and remove the brake caliper, anti-lock brake sensor, and rotor. From there, get ready to really tighten the coil spring compressor with as much tension as you can get on it. Maybe somebody else has a better trick, but taking it apart is a real pain, but putting it back together is worse. The main reason, is that the shock fully extends beyond the length of the compressed spring. If there were some way to secure the shock in the compressed position, the job would be MUCH easier. Maybe some iron safety wire? The way it is designed, with the protective bellows, would be difficult to do. I will say again, the difference in the ride is amazing. I've never put shocks on a car where so much difference was realized.
I took this car and had the tires balanced, on car, and by a computer balancer. It had felt like the tires would get out of balance, and then smooth out. Not to mention the horrible noise. Other than the idea of collapsing the shock, I don't know what I would do different.