XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Can't open my boot

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't open my boot

Hi guys,

I fear I may have done something stupid on a large scale.

I needed to charge the battery on my X300 so I removed it from the vehicle and it is currently charging in my garage, the problem is that I shut the boot thinking that I could open it with the door key - which doesn't work :-(

Have you any ideas why I shouldn't be able to open the boot with the key or how I can open the boot to put the battery back in.

Please go easy if I have done something daft

Any help gratefully received

Kind regards
Fr

Old 01-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Can't open my boot

Worry not, I know there is a power stud under the hood somewhere that you can jump power to and open the boot. Problem is I am not exactly sure where it is so let's wait for someone who does. There was a fellow on Jag-Lovers who did the exact thing and he got the problem solved with no issues.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:20 PM

Ah thats reassuring, now to check my owners manual to find the location of said stu.........oh, wait its in the boot - DOH!!!

I'm quite annoyed as my last XJ6 (X300) opened fine using the key with no battery in, oh well we live and learn.

If anyone can point me in the direction of this stud I'd be most appreciative.

Cheers for your help

Kind regards
Fr

Old 01-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Looking into the engine bay you'll see the holes where the bonnet latch pins engage Now, look immediately aft, and slightly downward, and you'll see the "+" studs...they'll should have a rubber boot. On my LHD car the left "+" stud is easier to see and gain access to.

Don't confuse them with the ground studs, of course !

Once you've opened the boot make sure to repair the key-lock mechanism. It almost surely just needs cleaning, lubricating, and a bit of exercise.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-02-2009, 03:36 PM

Thanks,

Its a bit bit late for me to try tonight but as soon as I get up tomorrow I shall try and locate these and get the boot open.

From the wording in your post should I read that like me you think the only reason I can't get in with the key is because of a faulty lock?

Many thanks
Fr

Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

ORIGINAL: Forestred

Thanks,

Its a bit bit late for me to try tonight but as soon as I get up tomorrow I shall try and locate these and get the boot open.

From the wording in your post should I read that like me you think the only reason I can't get in with the key is because of a faulty lock?

Many thanks
Fr

First let me clarify my terminology

The boot lid is held closed by (what I call) the latch. The latch is operated by either the electric motor or the key lock mechanism.

If the key won't open the boot thenthe lock (or lock linkage) isprobably stuck, and therefore won't operate the latch.

If you had electrical power it wouldn't matter if the lock was seized up, asthe latch could still be releasedby pressing the button....as you've undoubtedly been doing.

Hopefully that all makes some sense

I make it a point to use my key to open the boot a few times a year just to exercise the mechanisnm.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-03-2009, 09:02 AM

Hi guys,

A quick update for you:

I think I found the studs but there was no discernable markings to say which was which and my local dealer wasn't much help, there was no way I was going to fry my electrics (or me I've already had a 240 Volt shot this week!). I turned my attention to the boot lock and sprayed some WD40 into the lock and kept rocking the key back and forth and finally the mechanism gave up and let me in the boot. I shall make it practice to open the boot once a week with the key (even if I don't need to go in there) as this has been a big pain in the neck.

But the long and short of it............my cat is purring again, cheers for your help and advice.

Kind regards
Fr

Old 08-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This won't be very helpful now but I figure I should share just because. I'm currently having troubles opening my boot and recently I ran the battery down to far so I couldn't start it. Fear not, I quickly remembered that the Alternator is always an excellent source of a positive lead (although a bit tricky to reach on the XJ6) and a good ground can be found with ease by connecting to a frame rail or most other metal mounts. I pulled another car around for a quick jump and was on my way, although I am still trying to open my boot...