XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Did Something Stupid

Old 08-21-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 806 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Did Something Stupid

Last weekend I had made my first attempt at working on the rear shocks/springs and I was going by the Workshop Manual instructions (which I DON'T recommend in hindsight).

In those instructions it says "Mark relationship of hub fulcrum bolt to wishbone" so I pulled out my phone and snapped a pick for later reference. Actually, I nearly always snap a few photos before tackling a job in case I need to see how things go together.

However, like an idiot, I took a photo of the nut side NOT the bolt head side with the line marking on it. Doh!

After giving up on replacing the shocks (see prior thread link below for details) I put everything back together and realized my error. This weekend I'm going to try the "A frame drop" method and once I get the new shocks and spring insulators installed, I'd like to remedy my stupidity.

The hub fulcrum bolt mark on the left side that I didn't touch is pointing to 10 o'clock, if that info is at all helpful.

What do I do?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...height-145985/

Old 08-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I assume you are referring to the eccentric bolt that sets the toe in. If that is the case, why not spring for a rear alignment? Or, set up the toe using a laser pointer, a ruler, a garage door and some trigonometry. If you don't understand what that means, get the alignment!

The following 2 users liked this post by sparkenzap:
Don B (08-21-2015), Mac Allan (08-22-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 12,721 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
...I was going by the Workshop Manual instructions (which I DON'T recommend in hindsight).

Hi Mac,

We've all been there, but I'm not sure I understand why you would not recommend to others to follow the Workshop Manual instructions? Was there something incorrect that others should know about? Based on your post, my understanding is that you did not follow the instructions and that led to your problem. What am I missing?

Ross' advice to get an alignment is the simple solution.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-22-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Don,

I wouldn't recommend the workshop procedure because there is so little room to properly fit spring compressors (and only certain ones will work), plus the actual danger involved using a spring compressor.

If you are comfortable with using spring compressors and have the right type, I think the procedure laid out here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ent-how-62143/

...is perhaps better (removing the discs instead), but I think the "A frame drop" makes the most sense for a DIY approach:

Tech

After trying it this weekend, I might feel differently though!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I agree about the spring compressors. I "sprung" for the correct internal short compressors and have disassembled the front suspension with them several times, but I have to say that using a floor jack under the suspension with the car on stands seems much safer and more "in control" to me when I have done it that way. And the compressor cost several hundred dollars.

Don B (08-22-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 02:56 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
Hi Don,

I wouldn't recommend the workshop procedure because there is so little room to properly fit spring compressors (and only certain ones will work), plus the actual danger involved using a spring compressor.

If you are comfortable with using spring compressors and have the right type, I think the procedure laid out here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ent-how-62143/

...is perhaps better (removing the discs instead), but I think the "A frame drop" makes the most sense for a DIY approach:

Tech

After trying it this weekend, I might feel differently though!
Recently i did my rear shocks on my xjr6, let me tell you what a pain in the ***. There i thought the lower bolt was the worst part of the job.. but no.. fitting the shock and spring back was even more challenging. I end up having to drop the a-frame so my recommendation to you is don't waste any time with the other method and go straight for the a-frame drop and get yourself propane torch for the lower bolt it will come in handy. dropping the A-frame gives you enough room to just fit the shock and the spring insulator right in and i would drop aframe again if i ever have to do my shock again.

Don B (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

I can concur that the 'non-A-frame-drop' method is a significant PITA and in my opinion fairly dangerous (and stressful). Working with the compressed springs in tight confines, both regarding removal and re-installation, was quite tough.

If I had to do it again, I'd definitely entertain dropping the A-frame.

Don B (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Default Follow up

I can now definitively state that the 'A frame drop' method is superior IMHO.

It was a long day yesterday, and I'm sore in places I didn't remember having, but it was a successful and satisfying day as well.

Don B (08-23-2015)