XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Differential or axle bearing noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential or axle bearing noise?

Recently I've noticed a "rumbling" sound from either an axle bearing or the rear gears. It increases to a whine as speed increases. The car also gets a little "twitchy" on hard right turns. The front end is tight. This is my first Jaguar and I've put about 30,000 miles on it highway it has 115K on it total. Any ideas about what would be normal to expect for one with this many miles, I hope to keep it awhile? Thanks!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack up the rear and check for play in the rear bearings. If they have no play, then this likely rules them out as a potential cause of your noise (though it is still possible for a bearing to start making noise before it develops play). However, the rear diff is EXTREMELY common on these cars, the output shaft bearings in particular. If you don't replace the output shaft bearings soon, the metal shavings that are coming off them and floating in your diff will likely cause problems with your ring gear and such as well and warrant a total diff rebuild or replacement. They took me roughly an hour per side (using air tools) and you must have a hydraulic press to press the new bearings onto the output shafts. Also make sure you put the shims and spacers back in in the correct order

Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

You're certainly in the right mileage range for the diff ! On the other hand, wheel bearings dont last forever. Just hope its the wheel bearings; its cheaper.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Great responses, looks like my work is cut out for me. I'll be tackling this in the next week or so. A rebuild seems to be in order. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

im almost certain my output shaft bearing is going out
one of you said that it took you an hour on each side.... Im guessing that means there is an output shaft bearing on each side of the axle?
Anyone have tips on the procedure involved? Any specific tools needed for the job besides hydraulic press? How much $ in tools would be required to get this job done?
Thanks!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

OnlyXJ6, first, I'd drain the diff fluid and check it for particulate. If you've got the noise, it's probably the diff bearings. From what I've heard it's usually just one side at first, and then the other.

Exactly which Xj6 do you drive? I'm in Jupiter too. Just wondering if I've seen you driving around anywhere.

If you'd like, I can set you up with my mechanic. He's in Palm Beach Gardens. PM me if you'd like.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

would any of you recommend replacing the pinion bearings, output shaft bearings and the diff bearings at the same time? Could any of you provide me with a list of all bearings/seals/spacers, etc.. that would be needed to service the area once I dive into it.
I would like to change out everything I can once I tap into that area of the car. I have 1/4" play in the 12-6 o'clock position when pushing on the hub I have all the time in the world just wanna make sure I get all the parts I need, most parts websites have both differential bearings & output shaft bearings & diff pinion bearings?. are they located near each other? I plan on keeping this Jaguar as long as I live so I want to maintain it as best as I can. I'm about to drain the differential to see how the fluid looks but in the meantime would like to know what everyone recommends I replace in that area.
Thanks for all of your time & help.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:28 AM

My 95 xj6 with 1400000 seems to be having the same noise. It almost sounds like tire noise, but more pronounced, and coming from the rear. Plus im certain that my differential is leaking oil.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If you think it's tire noise, rotate the tires. If the noise follows, then it's probably just the tires, however, if your diff is leaking, then your seals have probably worn from lack of lubrication (leaking oil, seals dried up). Check the tires for play, and the diff oil. At 140K, the diff's bearings should have been changed. If not, depending on the degree of severity (worst case scenario), your differential may need to be replaced.