XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Electric Seat Gremlins have exceeded my threshold of aggravation!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Default Electric Seat Gremlins have exceeded my threshold of aggravation!!!

I didn't mind so much a few months ago upon discovering that my driver's seat has spawned a delay between switch actuation and corresponding movement, as I don't adjust it very much...or at least I didn't USED to....

a few days ago, I got in and noticed my feet barely reached the pedals! (wondered which of my children had been playing in the car) This remarkable event has become more commonplace, and in a quick trip to market today I paid attention...and the seat is retracting upon key removal. No problem, says I, "someone" has switched me to "auto" but...no....that switch is still in it's proper place. So after several uncommanded retractions, I switched it to "auto" to see if that would have an effect; it did...instead of going back a bit...it retracted all the way into the boot! or so it seemed....

The combination of the two problems is perhaps enough to drive me to electrical troubleshooting...which I loathe....but as it stands now....I have to adjust the seat nearly (not always) everytime I get in the car...and to do that, I press the switch, nothing happens...wait for it....then seat begins moving in proper direction, release switch when it achieves then desired position.....and continue traversing foward and under the steering wheel! Yes, there is a delay of some second or 1.5 sec. before the seat starts to move, then a similar delay between releasing the switch and cessation of seat movement! So a grand guessing game before every drive! Small adjustments are not possible. If you don't hold switch until seat begins to move, it doesn't...If you release as soon as it moves, it continues for about the amount of time you've been holding the switch..which moves it a good bit!

Memory positions only work on the steering wheel. Seat doesn't respond to them. In Auto mode, the seat retracts fully, the wheel goes full up and full fwd. Upon return, seat stays put, wheel returns down and aft to its set-position.

If anyone has already encountered and solved this problem......I'd be happy to learn from your experience.....I do truly loathe elec. troubleshooting ........

Old 11-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a hard reset??
Sometime modules get crazy and need to be shut down and rebooted????
Can't hurt?? Worth a try??

I have datalogger to watch the seat positions if needed.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (11-26-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bob,

No..I haven't...I'll give that a try. I think it has been continuously powered for quite some time, now.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Your topic reminded me of a similer culprit on my X300 . When I used to have one , I was pressing the remote key fob buttons -don't remember which of them - and I saw that driver seat was retracted all the way back or a funny postion that I didn't set it up . I could hardly get in the car and adjust it to my settings .
I believe there should be a design flaw considering your ride also behaves a similar way so you can be relief

Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think when you program the "fob" the first fob is programed to memory position one, the second fob goes to memory 2 and the third to memory position 3, any fob programmed after the first three will not be assigned any memory position

Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

The seat module may be acting up. I would think, though, that the potentiometers have all finally given up. Somewhere is a bulletin on checking and adjusting them back on track. Watching the pots on datalogger helps the most but I found another way. This is digging back in my memory a bit but, move the seat to all end positions in one direction. press the memory button. the red LED will shine if all the pots are being read. Move the seat to the other extreme positions. press the memory button. again, the LED will shine if the pots are being read. If it does not shine then move all the positions to roughly each respective middle. Try the memory again. If it lights up then set one of the memory positions. Move the seat in all directions just enough. again, press the memory button, if it lights then pick a different memory position. This is where all the effort shows up. Finally, press the previous memory position. If the seat doesn't move, then I would suspect all the pots are off track. If SOME of the positions move, then those pots are good. Whatever positions don't move, those pots have either failed or need to be adjusted.

I attached the bulletin for the diagnosis of the memory systems. It is for the V8 cars but the system is exactly the same 95-03.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
501-51.pdf (50.7 KB, 176 views)
The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Funny you should post today as the problem re-ocurred yesterday....I disconnected the battery overnight back on the 26th of Nov. ~ I reckon it was disconnected a good 14 hrs then gounded the cables together before re-connecting, just to make sure I drained any capacitors. Didn't solve the switch-delay problem, but the intermittent seat-retraction went into remission...until, yesterday morning -did it 2x yesterday on key removal, nothing since. Thanks for the bulletin, I hope to find some time this weekend to work my way through it.