XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

ELECTRICAL HARNESS XJ6 Jaguar 95-97

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking ELECTRICAL HARNESS XJ6 Jaguar 95-97

I had my right fender electrical harness break free and drop down into wheel well, causing damage to the harness. I bought a replacement harness from Costa Mesa parts and had it shipped to where I am visiting in Texas(I'm from Tennessee). Got the part in with some help from a Tech at a factory in Florida(whom I met off here several years ago...AWESOME help....)...but car still won't turn over??? I've checked all fuses(yes all 6 boxes and amps...I've checked the battery and connectors, and still the car won't hold a charge and won't turn over(Also checked the shut off under the glove box...and reset this)...I am STRANDED in Corpus Christi until I can resolve this issue. Is there anyone close to here that could possibly help me? I know it's a lot to ask...but the replacement harness was VERY expensive. I bought it through Ebay Motors, and if it's not any good I need to find out soon, so I can make Ebay get my money back from the Vendor. I have no idea how to check and see if it's the harness that's bad...The harness for this car isn't even made anymore, and I had to buy a second hand one. I'll take all the help I can get...desperate Mom in Texas....

Old 05-25-2010, 12:39 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Very difficult to diagnose an electrical fault online - Have you checked the main fuse - directly off the battery and could be inline on the + battery cable, or where it terminates? This is a 500a fuse (as I recall), then another main, a 250a located in the RH rear healboard.

BTW - the words "STRANDED" and "CORPUS CHRISTI" should NEVER be used together in the same sentence. Now, the words "DARNED LUCKY TO BE IN" and "CORPUS CHRISTI" is perfectly acceptable in the same sentence.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:06 PM

LOL....well actually the only reason I feel stranded is that IT'S MY ONLY VEHICLE, I have a job in Tennessee and can't get home etc...took a week for the part to get here, I'm actually trying to find someone who would meet me to look at the car I'm a single Mom, and know NO ONE here who has any idea about late model Jaguars...I've had all the AMPS checked...the car is getting electricity from the battery through to the dash...however as it enters the NEW HARNESS...nothing happens...no headlights...alarm tweet, etc...it seems as though the actual harness may be the problem, but I do not have any idea how to check and see if that's the problem. The harness was expensive, and if it's not working I want the money back...but with e-bay I'm sure I need to verify this before too much time passes...All the items in the back of the car work...tail lights, electric locks, radio, inside lights, etc....fan won't blow, heat, AC won't come on...essentially anything in the engine compartment is not coming on...

Old 05-25-2010, 01:50 PM

OH, and BTW....Steve...you and another Tech named Stuart who works at a Jaguar factory in Florida helped me a few years ago, when I was in Alaska and my Alarm wouldn't reset...and let the car turn over...you guys were both great help. I ended up correcting the issue myself...so I can be taught...LOL

Old 05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
ud

If you have electricity up to the harness connector, check the connector pins. Make sure you haven't lost a pin(s). After that, the only suggestion is to pinout each wire in the harness, check for continuity end to end. Also, did you check the 250a fuse in the RH heelboard?

BTW - It is perfectly acceptable to use the words "STRANDED" and "ALASKA" in the same sentence. If I were you, I'd forget the job in Tenn., park the Jag (as sometimes they're self-healing), then go get yourself a nice sun hat, sandals, a straw, a Pina Colada...Another Pina Colada...another...

Old 05-25-2010, 03:54 PM

HAAAHAAAA....nice my next step was to check the continuity end to end in the harness...wish they had a schematic diagram of the harness, however the tech at the Factory said they didn't make those for the cars from 95-97...and just recently started doing that. If you get any other GREAT ideas please share them. Until I get it fixed it's definitely parked, however I need a car...and it's a bit tough to just park it to the side and leave it....no other car...no knight in shining armor...and in order to start working at a new job offered her in Corpus...I still need a car...LOL Funny how that works huh...lol

Old 05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

These things are very, very, dificult to sort out over the internet.

First thing is - does anything work at all ?

Hi Mysterygrl, sorry you're stranded. Hope it's not Greyhound Bus time to get home. God, the distances you Americans go to make a living - we need you here!!

Remember with car electrics some things are on all the time, but everything else is switched via the ignition switch with it's three 'on' positions: -

IG I - radio, ICE, windows, etc
IG II - ignition and ignition-related, air con etc plus IG I
IG III - engine start (against a spring)

The ignition switch is therefore a key part in the whole shebang.
Questions
Does the loom just plug in at both ends ?
Is there continuity on each wire on the replacement loom ?
Could something else have come loose, like an earth line ?

Does anybody on the forum know what is supplied off this loom ?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:41 PM

actually the right fender harness supplies a lot of the engine compartment electricity. Lights, blower, and a variety of other items including the tweet repeat..for the alarm sensor...as I previously stated...the only thing that came loose was the harness, so because it was damaged, it started to short out, I pulled it out, bought a used one, plugged it all in...but still not turning over...I'm not typical...I've checked everything from fuses to AMPS...checked the plug in receptors to make sure they were getting a good connection, we are at the point of checking continuity at this point...I was just hoping I missed something stupid simple and easy...I can be wishful, right? Everything from the trunk, and battery seems to be connecting until I get past the dashboard....and there was no guarantee that the Harness sold to me even works...(and lets say I'm not very trusting that it does...grrrr)

Old 05-25-2010, 04:42 PM

earthline? ok....I' going to ask...in American terms what is the earthline? Are you talking about the ground? Or any of the battery main supply cables?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

"Earthline" is ground in English speak.

What concerns me is that you said the old harness fell and shorted out. This may be the case, but could have shorted out many other areas too, including (hope not) a computer somewhere. You may just have to have a technician sort it out for you. Electrical issues can be a real booger!!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, maybe it's time to book a flight home and leave the car !

Is there power at the engine compartment components you would expect to have power via the loom when you turn ignition on to IG II, (last setting before engine start position) ? In other words is there volts actually at the entry point on the component ?

I am not an auto electrician, only have a bit of fairly old experience. You really need an expert to check this car out.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:49 PM
ud

Originally Posted by mysterygrl
HAAAHAAAA....nice my next step was to check the continuity end to end in the harness...wish they had a schematic diagram of the harness, however the tech at the Factory said they didn't make those for the cars from 95-97...and just recently started doing that. If you get any other GREAT ideas please share them. Until I get it fixed it's definitely parked, however I need a car...and it's a bit tough to just park it to the side and leave it....no other car...no knight in shining armor...and in order to start working at a new job offered her in Corpus...I still need a car...LOL Funny how that works huh...lol
How are you doin' sweetie....finished with those Pina Coladas...yet?

Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Hey Guys!! Update!! Thanks for all the advice and input, I just want to let you guys know all your help was appreciated. We are working on the car and it looks like we should have it back to running shortly....it was just an electrical issue, and I did somehow lose a ground or earth line....thanks again...

Some crack pot of Craigslist said that NO ONE would give free assistance to repair a Jaguar....and I told him to check out your site....He insinuated I was giving out SPECIAL favors for your assistance....well since this site is a public forum...I'd like to know how he thought that was happening...LOL Once again, THANKS GUYS!! I may be back for more help...

Steve, the Beach is nice....but if I take a drink I might hurt myself...LOL

Old 06-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

Bad earths (ground lines); do I just remember them !!

I rebuilt my 1980 Jaguar 4.2 engine in 1994 plus did some serious bodywork/paintwork etc. When the time came to start the car, would it go ? No!!! I eventually tracked it down to the main engine-body earth line not being fixed properly, so nothing would work (fuel injection or ignition).

Old 06-03-2010, 07:05 AM
ud

Makes sense Fraser.

Hey Mysterygirl - you got that Jag fixed yet?? Something tells me you can fix it with just a smile!