XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

FOB trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default FOB trouble

Hi,
I just acquired a beautiful 96 XJ6 which came with two remotes. One remote does not work at all. The 2nd remote seems to be putting out a signal according to the test equipment I used at Auto Zone. Here is what I can say about the remote.
1) Regardless of which button I push, only the red bulb lights up--never the green one.
2) I seem to have no problem getting into the computer system to program the remote. In theory, I programmed my remote 5 times.
3) The P (for Park) lights up whenever it should except it does not light up when I push my remote button (the bigger of the two buttons on the remote) during programming--should it light up?
4) After 'programming' the remote 5 times it does not work.

Any ideas as to what I can do to make the remote work would be helpful.

I saw a remote for a Saab on ebay and was wondering if it should work.
You can view that listing at Original Saab 900 9000 Keyless Entry Remote Transmitter Fob Control Clicker | eBay

Jomo

The following users liked this post:
ivanjunior20 (05-26-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

I bought a saab remote for my XJ6 and it works fine. One click drivers door, two for the others and three for the boot.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

The frequencies for the key fobs in the US and EU are usually different. Also, European cars have immobilizer and US cars don't. Does everybody know if the Saab key fob works for US cars?

Old 05-25-2016, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

I'm not sure if everybody knows, but I do. See my post above.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
I'm not sure if everybody knows, but I do. See my post above.
It is possible that the security module in your car is defective and that's why you are unable to program the remote. It is also possible that SAAB remotes are only compatible with Jaguar security systems in certain markets and US is not one of them. That's why I was wondering if anybody was ever able to program a SAAB remote successfully on a US market car.

I don't know if it's of any use for resolving your issue, but I have a complete IDS setup. I will gladly help you out with IDS, if you are ever in my neck of the woods (Boston). I also have an XJ6 and and XJR/6, the latter has 2 functioning remotes. We could try to figure out your problem by elimination.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 95 XJ6 with two FOBs. None of them works - they light up green and red but do not lock or unlock the doors. I replaced battery already.
I read on another post (link below) that I could use the cheaper SAAB remotes, however I would like to double check my SLCM frequency before I buy a new FOB. My antenna is 315MHz, so should be my SLCM.

Do you know where the SLCM is located in a 95 JX6?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2-x300-112685/

Old 05-25-2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ivanjunior20
Do you know where the SLCM is located in a 95 JX6?
In the trunk, on the left hand side, near the fuel fill tube. It should be the only electronics piece labeled "LNA 2600 ..." and the label will clue you in that it's the ECU of the security system.

As a side node, 2600, seriously, LMAO.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen
In the trunk, on the left hand side, near the fuel fill tube. It should be the only electronics piece labeled "LNA 2600 ..." and the label will clue you in that it's the ECU of the security system.

As a side node, 2600, seriously, LMAO.
Thank you. I will try to access it in the trunk.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen
It is possible that the security module in your car is defective and that's why you are unable to program the remote. It is also possible that SAAB remotes are only compatible with Jaguar security systems in certain markets and US is not one of them. That's why I was wondering if anybody was ever able to program a SAAB remote successfully on a US market car.

I don't know if it's of any use for resolving your issue, but I have a complete IDS setup. I will gladly help you out with IDS, if you are ever in my neck of the woods (Boston). I also have an XJ6 and and XJR/6, the latter has 2 functioning remotes. We could try to figure out your problem by elimination.
juha,
I think that the security module is fine as I get into the programming mode without any problem and while in programming mode it seems to behave correctly. It responds to the programming steps exactly as it should with the only exception being that the parking P light does not light up when I click the button on the remote. I could be wrong but I get the gut feeling it is a remote problem, especially given that the green light does not come on when I click the big button on the remote--the red light does come on.
I may take you up on meeting you in Boston.

Here is a great link where they talk about USA cars having 433 mhz modules and how to tell which you have by the vin number. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2-x300-112685/

The following users liked this post:
juha_teuvonnen (06-02-2016)