XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Front Suspension - How Difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Front Suspension - How Difficult?

Hey Lads,

So I have some front end work to do on the Jag.

I have a good skillset but suspension is not something I have tons of experience working on. There are perished bushings and the balljoints need replacing as the boots are split.

So what am I getting myself into here.
My main concern is dealing with the front springs. I have seen posts with threaded rod tools built to take the springs out but I do not know if the springs need to come out to change various bushings in the suspension?

Can anyone who has replaced bushings and various components up front enlighten me a little to the workload involved in going through the front end completely?

There are kits on ebay that contain all the necessary bushings to replace everything up front.

Bernie

Old 10-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Hi Bernie,

I have done the entire front suspension on our '93 XJ40, which is very similar to your X300. You can do the ball joints, upper control arm bushes and shock bushings without removing the springs.

To renew the lower control arm bushings you must remove the springs.

To renew the subframe Vee mounts and rear pivot bushings, the subframe must be dropped. This requires some method of supporting the engine/transmission, preferably from above.

As far as tools go, in addition to a safe means of decompressing and recompressing the road spring, you need a means of replacing the various bushings. The control arm bushes can probably be replaced via the socket and long bolt method, but the rear subframe pivot bushes may require a hydraulic press. I use a small press purchased from Harbor Freight (in the U.S.) for $70.00.

While you're doing front suspension work, consider repacking the grease in the front wheel bearings, or replacing the bearings, since they are inexpensive.

Below are some photos showing some of the work involved:

Lower Ball Joints:
Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Damper Top Bushes:

Road Spring Compressor fabrication and use:

Front Suspension Crossbeam/Subframe:

Front Wheel Bearings:

Cheers,

Don

The following 5 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (05-23-2021), aholbro1 (10-04-2015), al_roethlisberger (10-03-2015), BigBossRadio (10-04-2015), someguywithajag (10-16-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

I am in the midst of this project as we speak (type). The front spring tool Don B suggested is quite easy to fabricate. I ended up using the shorter half of the 3' shaft I cut. I didn't get the car up high enough to use the long threaded bar section so I jacked up the spring with the jack and then finished off with the compressor tool. I'm on to removing the bushings before I slap the Powerflex poly bushes in. I also have H&R springs coming via UPS Ground on Monday for install as well Can't wait!

I will do the subframe V mounts and rear sub frame bushes at a later date.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-06-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Awesome!

Thanks Don, I will keep this post to review before getting to work

Don B (10-06-2015)
Old 05-21-2021, 10:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello, so I have been fixing up a 97 vdp and after wonder why the wheel pulls left like crazy when i let go and i have found that someone crashed the front driver side and bent some suspension components. And the lower control arm is definitely bent. Whats the easiest or most efficient way to replace this ? Im sure it’ll be a nightmare getting the arm off as i can look and see that the bolt is bent as well. Any advice would help. I’ve done a full rear suspension rebuild now i want to do the front.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by mh.anthony6
Hello, so I have been fixing up a 97 vdp and after wonder why the wheel pulls left like crazy when i let go and i have found that someone crashed the front driver side and bent some suspension components. And the lower control arm is definitely bent. Whats the easiest or most efficient way to replace this ? Im sure it’ll be a nightmare getting the arm off as i can look and see that the bolt is bent as well.
Since the long fulcrum bolt is bent and will have to be replaced, the fastest method for removing it may be to saw through it with a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) and bi-metal blade so the control arms can be removed. The lower control arms unbolt from one another near the shock absorber bushing, which will help you move other ends away from the subframe to get your saw blade on to the bolt. Once you cut through the bolt you can hopefully drive the remaining section(s) out of the subframe with a long punch and hammer. You may need to support the engine and lower the subframe for access.

Be sure you can find good parts before you begin. I believe the fulcrum bolts are still available from Jaguar, but they are expensive. Good salvaged parts may be your best bet.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-21-2021 at 02:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (05-23-2021), mh.anthony6 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Before releasing the lower control arm you need to compress the road spring. Normal spring compressors are not safe for this task, and you need an appropriate and safe tool. Covered elsewhere in the forum, and a serious safety issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by countyjag:
Don B (05-22-2021), mh.anthony6 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 01:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the advice, im gonna be attempting this soon and will update. Where can i find a new bolt ? Without having to remove it from a donor i have.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mh.anthony6
Where can i find a new bolt ? Without having to remove it from a donor i have.
Hi mh.anthony6,

The part number for the lower control arm fulcrum bolt & nut is JLM11858. Check with our forum sponsors SNG Barratt and Jagbits. Jaguar shows the bolts are still available at a retail price of about $150.00. SNG Barratt and Jagbits may have aftermarket options.

BTW, I had to scroll back to your initial post to be reminded of the year and model of your Jaguar. It is helpful if you visit your User Control Panel and edit your signature to include the year, model and engine of your Jaguar so these important details appear in all of your posts.

Cheers,

Don

Cafcpete (05-24-2021)