XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

gas/throttle sticking all the time

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default gas/throttle sticking all the time

I've did some searching but found nothing too conclusive. When driving (especially in the cold), the gas gets stuck sometimes. Not good and can be scary in the right situations. I have to tap the gas once or several times to get it to unjam. Any tips on how to find the issue?

Thanks

Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Start with the basics first, simply clean your throttle body and adjust cable accordingly, plenty of posts with information on this site.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM

It would seem I'm missing some very key parts in my throttle linkage...excuse if I misuse terminology. I am indeed missing the return spring and the arm that the spring attaches to on the butterfly side of the works....obviously any bolt or whatever that would attach said arm as well. Can I find these parts somewhere? This explains a whole lot on why my car is dangerous.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM

take a look at throttle bodies for your car on ebay, there are plenty of detailed pics and look to see if you are missing any parts. I dont think your tb came apart, once together all the bits stay put. I tried to download pics for you but was unable to. pretty much think you just need to clean it as they tend to get dirty and stick, common problem.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:03 PM

Are you saying that there is not suppose to be a spring to bring the butterfly back to its original position when the gas pedal is released? It certainly appears to be missing all-together and seems logically that it would need to be there. No?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM

your throttle body has two springs on it, one for the throttle plate and the other for the accelerator cable. If you only have one then I guess it broke and fell off, i never seen that before but anything is possible. Its an easy fix, just remove throttle body, dissemble and replace the spring. I believe your cars tb is easily to get at because it has no supercharger, the sc version would be a big pain to get at. take a look at the pic and tell me which spring is missing. There is a complete tb on ebay for $70.00, minus sensors, take a look.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Doc2.docx (28.9 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by jeremiahjaguar; 02-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dan is probably thinking of the old method of a return spring hooked onto a stud on the throttle arm and the other end attached elsewhere on the engine. That hasn't been done in quite a few years. The springs are integral to the throttle body.

Here's a pic.

I've indicated the two different springs that should be there. It is rare for them to break, but it has happened to me (on other makes of cars). If it did break, the spring would still be on the shaft unless someone has pulled it off. Without pulling the throttle body apart, it takes quite a bit of unwinding to remove.

What is most likely causing your throttle to stick is the carbon gunk built up in the bore, as it is in this picture. Pay a visit to your local parts house and get some throttle body cleaner. You may have to use an old tooth brush to get some stubborn deposits off.
DO NOT use carburetor cleaner, as that will damage the sensors if it comes in contact with them.

Attached Thumbnails gas/throttle sticking all the time-xj6tb_zpsfbf0eaff.jpg  

Last edited by Nitronick; 02-18-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nitronick
Dan is probably thinking of the old method of a return spring hooked onto a stud on the throttle arm and the other end attached elsewhere on the engine. That hasn't been done in quite a few years. The springs are integral to the throttle body.

Here's a pic.

I've indicated the two different springs that should be there. It is rare for them to break, but it has happened to me (on other makes of cars). If it did break, the spring would still be on the shaft unless someone has pulled it off. Without pulling the throttle body apart, it takes quite a bit of unwinding to remove.

What is most likely causing your throttle to stick is the carbon gunk built up in the bore, as it is in this picture. Pay a visit to your local parts house and get some throttle body cleaner. You may have to use an old tooth brush to get some stubborn deposits off.
DO NOT use carburetor cleaner, as that will damage the sensors if it comes in contact with them.
Thanks for the clarification and thanks to both of you for being patient with the new guy! I indeed do NOT need a spring and now I understand the concept of WHAT is getting gunked up and can see how it could be a problem. Thanks! I'll have to do that this weekend for sure!

Now to figure out how to take the slack out of the cable.....

Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a new guy too. I just spent about 25 years remanufacturing carburetors for a living, so this part comes kind of easy for me.

I think you can find the service manual here.

Last edited by Nitronick; 02-19-2013 at 07:27 AM.