XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Greeting from Canada!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greeting from Canada!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, however I'm no stranger to Jaguars. My family has been in the car business since way before I was born, and the last 10 of those years have been spent selling Jaguars... therefore I've grown up loving the brand!

I've been patiently waiting for my chance to buy my own, and finally, an opportunity has presented itself. I found a 1995 Jaguar XJ6 for sale in my area for $2900 (CDN). The car seems to be in mint condition, it is originally from Florida and has only been in Canada for 2 years (never winter driven), therefore there is no rust. I have not gone to see the car yet, but from the pictures it seems to be in mint condition. The only thing I'm concerned about is the mileage... it has 197xxxMiles.. or 317xxxkm!

Although I've read that the X300 generation of XJs are arguably the more reliable and well-built Jaguars ever produced, the mileage still somewhat scares me :P

Here's the link to the add: 1995 Jaguar XJ6 for $2,900 in REPENTIGNY | autoTRADER.ca

What do you guys think? I'm going to see it tomorrow, and I will definitely get it inspected at our dealership + Carproof/Carfax before I make any moves... However does anyone have any advice for me?

My parents think I'm crazy, however I believe the X300s to be some of the most undervalued and underrated cars on the market, and I want to do them justice!

Thanks all!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

sergedec,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I personally feel the X300 is one of the highlights in Jaguar's long history, with the traditional low, wide XJ stance, and the last of the wonderful straight-six AJ engines.

Given the mileage, you will want to see a full service history, but assuming the car has been properly maintained, there's no reason you can't drive it another 50,000 miles with just normal maintenance and age-related repairs. Our '93 XJ40 has 197,000 miles and I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a 500-mile journey tomorrow.

I'll defer to others regarding the price, but I would personally use the high mileage to negotiate a significantly lower final price. There are not a lot of buyers in a hurry to pay top dollar for a 200k car.

Cheers,

Don

Old 06-30-2015, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Agreed, have to say it "looks" pretty darned nice for almost 200k miles at least

Old 07-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Serge, the ad says 200K km's????
Are you sure it's miles?
I have an approaching 300K km's 4.0 straight six, no pain, no using oil, sound as a pound.
On the mechanical front I expect no difficulties with mine, she can go twice this length easily.

So it will all depend on the rest:
does everyting work? A/C?
Imported to Canada: history verifiable?

Most of all: use your head and senses.
You'll be enthousiastic, but open the hood and feel the cold of the engine, it shouldn't have been started just before you show up. If it has been, leave.
If it hasn't, sit back, relax, enjoy, and than turn the key!
Having seen the ad I think you won't be disapointed.

It took me a wee while, but I've grown to love the AJ6/16 engines.
Far to much fuses, though......

Thewindowwinder

Old 07-01-2015, 08:57 PM

Hello All,

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. However, I went to see the car and it was not at all as advertised. The paint was terrible, the roof looked like someone poured gasoline on it, and the trunk was ruined by the salty Florida air to the point of no return. Not to mention the botched repair job done on the trunk as a result of an attempted break in. Also, the ABS was previously "repaired", but it looked like a complete mess under the hood. In addition, I get this feeling that the car had been painted red, and was originally black or dark blue... I will have to check the VIN on Jaguar's database to get the original color. And the interior was far uglier than in the ads pictures.... the list goes on.

All in all, the car drove okay, but we only took it quickly around the block. Just by seeing the car, I knew that it wasn't what I was expecting. A bit disappointed, but I'm still happy I went to see it.

And to answer Haddock's question, although the ad says 197,000km, its actually 197,000 miles. The website it was posted on is Canadian, so the field for the mileage can only be displayed in KMs. So instead of converting the vehicles mileage into KMs and writing that in the ad, he just wrote in the number that displayed on his dash.. lol.

Mark my words, I will one day own an older Jag, and it will be awesome. For the time being, I remain on the hunt!

Cheers!

Old 07-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Why not consider this one 1996 Jaguar XJ6 Berline | autos et camions | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji

It started at $14,000 and dropped to $10,000 within a week. Now its advertised at $7,000. At 40km has got to be the best value for this model and surely not far from you

Old 07-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Hi and welcome!

Sounds like the car in Repentigny was a real disappointment and proof that all used cars need to be inspected in person.

Good luck in your search and let us know what happens.

Mike

Old 07-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Exclamation Wow

Originally Posted by overtheatlantic
Why not consider this one 1996 Jaguar XJ6 Berline | autos et camions | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji

It started at $14,000 and dropped to $10,000 within a week. Now its advertised at $7,000. At 40km has got to be the best value for this model and surely not far from you

Wow, that's a deal.... 26,000 miles for $5500!

Old 07-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

If you want to think outside the box a bit, consider bringing in a car from Japan. I've done this a few times and it''s a great place to get low mileage cars at a good price. This week a Daimler Double Six (XJ12) came up with 26,000 km on it.

As long as it's over 15 years old it's importable with no problem.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by overtheatlantic

That one looks really clean! However, I'm sadly on a student budget for the time being, so working part-time while paying for school expenses can only get me so far. Ideally, I would like to have the car bought and plated for max $4000 CDN. I know that's asking a lot, but I'm also not in a rush to buy anything. I'm just waiting for the right car. However, if this price keeps dropping, things could get interesting..

Originally Posted by Mikey
Hi and welcome!

Sounds like the car in Repentigny was a real disappointment and proof that all used cars need to be inspected in person.

Good luck in your search and let us know what happens.

Mike
Yea it was, but I'll chalk it up as experience! It's the first time I've ever gone to see a car as a potential buyer, so it has taught me to be more critical I suppose. Maybe I'll offer him $600 as-is and see if he bites LOL

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
If you want to think outside the box a bit, consider bringing in a car from Japan. I've done this a few times and it''s a great place to get low mileage cars at a good price. This week a Daimler Double Six (XJ12) came up with 26,000 km on it.

As long as it's over 15 years old it's importable with no problem.
That could be an interesting idea, but again, budget constraints :/

Old 07-04-2015, 06:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I may have lucked out last year in Connecticut, as soon as I say my x300, I knew this was the one, I expected some things like mirror, tramlining etc, but perfect interior, all working electrics including clock, paint in extremely but not perfect condition, had it shipped to Canada border. For some reason, body repair is extremely here in Canada, so that would have been a deal killer, except for poor mechanical condition, was temped by new model xj8's, and when mentioned I am looking at other jags, prices tumbled. Here in eastern Canada a jag is a rare breed, and I am reminded almost every time I pull into parking lots and even at red lights by other. The deals are there, just be patient.

jiffy14
xj6 vdp 1996
british racing green
baxters corner