XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Having problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having problems please help

Hello,at christmas I bought myself a 1995 X300 3.2s in pretty good condition. It came with a couple of minor issues though.

Firstly,when I start the car up as soon as I put the car in drive or reverse the doors lock,i'm not sure whether this should happen and I have found nothing in the manuals about it,but it's not too bad as I can press the door lock button and they stay unlock for the rest of the journey.

The 2nd problem was the stereo,the CD changer doesn't seem to have power going to it and sometimes the stereo doesn't work at all,so after refusing to spend £60 on a 15 year old stereo on ebay without knowing whether it works or not I decided to go the after market route as I have done before with my XJ40,here is where the problems start.......

After taking the jag stereo out I found a battery live(there are more than 1,but I only needed 1),an ignition live,electric aerial wire and of course the speaker wires,I left the rest of the wires on the multi plug,and I replaced the thick earth strap that went to the jag stereo with a thinner wire for the after market unit,I wired the stereo up and it works great,however this has caused problems.

A minor issue is the light on the climate control display no longer works,strange as I didn't touch anything on this unit.

Big issue is the car now only locks using the key! opens with the remote fob fine,and if i press the lock button when the car is locked the headlights come on so I know the lock button is working,also the car no longer locks when I put the car into gear,and it also won't lock using the door lock button on the centre console,and also if i press the lock button down on the drivers door they all lock but then pop back up again a couple of seconds later! in short the only way to lock the car is with the key.

HELP!!!

Cheers
Gavin

Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

First, as far as i know, when moving the shifter out of park and placing it into drive or reverse, the locks are supposed to automatically lock. I have a 96 4.0 and it does this and its not a problem for me as you never know who may try to run up to your car and open the door here in nyc! As for your problems now with the climate control, id check the bulbs and the cables. when you removed the unit you may have moved a cable or worsened an already bad connection. as for the locking mechanism, seems to me like something is up with your module or the button itself next to the clock. check those connections as well. But before doing any of this, i would check to see how you installed your radio and the wiring you did. I purchased a wiring harness kit for 70$ and it was worth it. plug and play into the original harness and all i had to do was match the wiring to the aftermarket radio i installed. Also check all your fuses as you may have blown one during installation, hope this helps. others will chime in.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM

Hello,thank you it all helps. It was getting dark when I finished so left it as it is for the time being.I was guessing that I had just disturbed some wires but asked on here as I was worried that for some strange reason there was locking wires within the stereo plug,which would be doubtful. Will take it all out tomorrow or Monday,anyone else have any ideas?

Cheers
Gav

Old 02-17-2012, 03:26 PM

I have an issue with my 1996 Jag Vanden Plas. I drove to the store the night before Valentine's Day and the car was just fine. But the morning of Valentine's Day, the car would not crank. It makes the sound as though it wants to but will not turnover. The car has 1/4 tank of gas. I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. The lights work just fine so to me that eliminates the battery as being the possible problem. I need help.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:49 AM

I have just had a fail!!! The reason the car wouldn't lock with the fob is because something was caught in 1 of the rear doors,feel a bit of a prat but at least the car is locking fine now Just a few minor things to sort and the car will be great,thanks for replies.

To Lee205,do you mean to the will turn over but won't fire? if so check for spark at the plugs,if no spark then follow back from there to find the problem. If you have spark then maybe a flooding issue? I know very little about these Jags but I have had a similar problem with another car and it was down to an over fueling ECU.

Cheers
Gavin

Old 02-18-2012, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by lee205
I have an issue with my 1996 Jag Vanden Plas. I drove to the store the night before Valentine's Day and the car was just fine. But the morning of Valentine's Day, the car would not crank. It makes the sound as though it wants to but will not turnover. The car has 1/4 tank of gas. I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. The lights work just fine so to me that eliminates the battery as being the possible problem. I need help.

Lights can work just fine doesn't mean your battery problem is out of possibilities. I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a weak battery . I had it recharged and it was fixed
Whenever you see a car starting problem I would begin with battery no matter how old it is

Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The drive-away locking can be 'ENABLED/DISABLED' with WDS, IDS etc.

I disabled this feature on 'aholbro's 1995 X300 when he was here for a visit or to buy parts.

It's in the 'vehicle setup and configuration/dealer options' section menu.

bob gauff

Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by gavinbray
Hello,at christmas I bought myself a 1995 X300 3.2s in pretty good condition. It came with a couple of minor issues though.

...wires,I left the rest of the wires on the multi plug,and I replaced the thick earth strap that went to the jag stereo with a thinner wire for the after market unit,I wired the stereo up and it works great,however this has caused problems.

A minor issue is the light on the climate control display no longer works,strange as I didn't touch anything on this unit.

Gavin
Gavin, I'm betting this is your problem. See Post #5 and the pdf:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...witches-53109/

Bob speaks truth. He did and I thank him every day I pull out of the garage, get out to shut the door and back in, stop at the mailbox for another in/out and on and on...no more 14 lock/unlock sequences just to get to work!!!